3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I hate to even admit this one...  (Read 1348 times)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
I hate to even admit this one...
« on: November 16, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
I blew a good one tonight. On a new piece of property (for me) where my son shot a biggun last year. Been ground hunting it the last few days. Decided to go in tonight and hang a Windwalker stand and hunt it. Deer haven’t been moving until late so I went in at 3:00, scouted a bit and selected a tree. It was kind of crooked on bottom but straightened out about 6 foot up. I attached my bottom rapid rail, grabbed the second rapid rail, climbed up to the top step, and was just about to attach it when I looked up and spotted a nice 8 point about 30 yards away coming towards me. Thought about climbing down (my bow was leaning on the next tree over) but the deer was too close and getting closer. Decided to just wrap my arms around the tree and let him pass.He would have passed me at about 4 or 5 steps. Believe it or not I've done this before. LOL. Unfortunately the bottom rail I was standing on which was on the crooked part of the tree started sliding around to the low side, barber poling as it were and my feet were going out from under me. Only thing I could do was jump off. It was either that or fall off ha ha.  Needless to say the buck didn't like that all too much and took off flagging.All I could do is sit there on the ground and laugh.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I hate to even admit this one...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
You'll remember that hunt for a lot longer than if you had got him I bet. lol
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
At least you weren't hurt, that's the important thing. There'll be more chances & more bucks.
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
I guess the buck didn't like your squirrel imitation. Glad it wasn't the 4th rail you we standing on.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Ferret, I love reading your post! Glad you didnt get hurt. The best stories come from the hunts where you come home empty handed! Good luck to you tomorrow! Thats the best thing about deer hunting...there is always another day.

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
good to know somebody's out there keeping those deer entertained (besides me for a change)
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Oh I only use 2 of them Boff. Don't like the nose bleed seats ha ha

Yea I'll be hunting behind my house in the morning and back over there tomorrow night. The landowner is kind of paranoid about people coming down his driveway. Has one of those driveway alarms that goes off everytime you drive in and out so I can only hunt it in the evening. It's a real honey hole though, 40 acres and it's thick thick thick. So thick it's actually kind of hard to hunt. Just laced with deep well worn deer trails. Good buck sign in there too.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
Lowered my bow once on a rope and had a buck come in.  He stood and watched as I retrieved my bow, nocked an arrow, and put one through both lungs.  Then I dropped my bow off the side of the stand. SANS rope.  Forgot to re-attatch.  Hang in there weasel.  Things will get better. (Colton made me do it)

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
:goldtooth:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
I needed a good laugh like that  :D

Bow hunting is awesome... you just never know what might happen!

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
"Now that's funny I don't keer who ye are!" And what Joel said.  Good read and better luck next time.  Bill

Online Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
What I'd give to have that on video.......good luck tomorrow Mickey.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
man, something very similar happened to me on Monday.  Sat in one place for a long time without seeing anything so I decided to change to another location along a nice rub line.  As I'm setting up a little forky was working his up the trail and my bow was still on the ground.  doh!
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
I've had that one happen to me, Mickey, only it was a nice 5 by 5....

I was only about 5 or 6 feet off the ground, hugging this big cottonwood for all I was worth as the big buck and his smaller buddy walked right under me, then he proceeded to rub a sapling 10 yards away for a few minutes before walking off.  He never saw me, and there was no chance to shoot clinging to the tree with my stand...but I'll never forget it.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
Gentlemen and Ladies of the tradgang I ask,"Shall we change his nick to Oopsie The Clown?"
 :bigsmyl:
Had you just walked in and found some cover and hunkered down there well may have been a different story to write, Ferret. Still Thanks for sharing.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
Man I would have loved to watch that one play out! LMAO!!!
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline fubar2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 12:02:00 AM »
Thats when you whip out your longknife, drop down on his back and start stabbing.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 04:53:00 AM »
Now that is funny lil buddy!LOL

Jake, Don't think your gonna get away with trying to blame it all on Colton!  :D
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 05:01:00 AM »
Mickey, it seems like deer have a habit of catching us with our pants down! Usually every year I move a stand or ground blind during the rut and I get caught giving a tree a hug as a nice buck walks past within spitting distance!  ;)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 05:59:00 AM »
Now that buck will have a complex, he will think humans are  jumping out of trees to get him   :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©