3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I hate to even admit this one...  (Read 1349 times)

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I hate to even admit this one...
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
Mom Nature trying to tell you something: your ancestors came down out of the trees eons ago....
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »
I'd hunt the ground now Mickey. That buck is going to get a sore neck from looking up all the time. Good luck buddy.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 07:30:00 AM »
Gee, I usually just miss'em and its over.  You guys definately put alot more 'Here, hold my beer and watch THIS!' into your screw-ups.  Sweet.  

:cool:    :eek:    :bigsmyl:

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
Mickey, I'd try the same spot again. You know he went back to get his buddies, shaking his head, saying "Hey guys, come here, you're never going to believe this"
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »
Ferret, be careful. Aren't you strapped in as you climb-Prussic knot style?  :(  Jawge

Online Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by VTer:
Mickey, I'd try the same spot again. You know he went back to get his buddies, shaking his head, saying "Hey guys, come here, you're never going to believe this"
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
Ferret,

Never figured you would end up being one of them there "tree huggers!"   :bigsmyl:

"Some of us are only one small jump out of the trees."

Read in local paper, "Ferret turns out ot be squirrel in disguise!"   :clapper:    :clapper:

Better luck next time. Hunt safe.

Offline Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
Been there, done that. I am glad to see I am not the only one. Good story Mickey.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
ferret,how high do you go up?

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
I lowered my bow and cat quiver to the ground late one morning and started climbing down the screw in steps to the ground. I heard the patter of little feet and saw two bucks approaching my tree. A 4 point ended up standing on my bow and stepping over my quiver. He looked up at the idiot hanging by a safety belt on the side of the tree once, reached down for another acorn and casually walked away feeding.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
I have a few theories on this type of thing over the years:
Mayhem seems to work from me.
Persistence and practice pays off, eventually.
It's better to be lucky than good.

First time - Mayhem:
I was about 18 feet up in my climber and just didn't like the way the bottom part of the climber was sitting in the tree. So while I was sitting I kind of put my feet under my legs and adjusted the bottom part of the stand. Well, we all know what happened then. The bottom part of the stand fell.
Thank goodness I attached a piece of cord to keep the bottom and top pieces of stand together in case something like this happened. So while I'm sitting there thinking this is a fine kettle of fish I notice a buck coming down the ridge. I lay my bow in branch of an adjoining tree and attached my pull up rope to it. I then reach down and try to pull up the bottom of the stand. It took me about 5 minutes but felt like 30 minutes. I then finally get the bottom of the stand secure and knock my bow out of the adjoining tree. As I'm watching the buck, my bow is swinging 15 feet below me. I'm thinking "I'm such an idiot". The buck is about 30 yards from me and knows something is going on with a big squirrel over there. I get my bow back, nock my arrow and stand up. At that point he pops up from a creek run and provides a shot. I harvest the deer.

Second time - Lucky -  I'm hunting a new area and used my climber in a promising location. I noticed a decent buck working a rub line in early season about 100 yards from me. I then realize my stand is not in a position to take a shot if he passes on the trail that I didn't notice until I got up into my stand. I decided to turn my stand to other side of the tree. I lower my bow on my pull up rope. I turn around and make sure I have both parts of my stand together. I then move to the other side of the tree. My bow is banging off a few saplings below and my buck thinks maybe there's another buck over there. He double times it towards me. I get situated and start pulling my bow up. I get my bow and he picks me off. He starts angling away. I manage to get a shot off but it is low. I hit him in the heart and out the brisket. I harvest the deer.

Third time - Persistence:
My second buck and my first deer with size. I found a buck with a doe during the rut the evening before. The plan was to sneak into the area and get a stand up before light. I sneak in about an hour before light. As I'm climbing my tree I drop my water bottle. If anybody goes in early they know how quiet the woods are before dawn. I get up and get situated. I'm freezing my butt off. Then at first light I see my buck. I hit the grunter and his doe comes running under my stand. The buck comes to 20 yards, I shoot - miss. I'm shaking.
The doe runs off a few yards. I nock another arrow and hit the grunter. The doe comes back. I knock another arrow. My buck comes in. I miss again at 15 yards. The doe stands lays down underneath me.
My tree sounds like jingle bells, I'm shaking so bad. My buck presents a slight quartering away shot at 15 yards and I connect. Persistence and luck.

Fourth time - Practice:
I had a buck pick my off during my draw. I see his head rising up as I'm focused on my spot. I let my arrow fly as he realizes what I am. My arrow finds his mark and I harvest him.

Fifth time - Lucky and persistence - I have had a few large deer wind me when they were with a doe and sometimes they really don't care. Just wait till they present an opportunity and focus.

Half of these situations were with a compound and the other half with the stick.
IMHO - the stick allows my to react faster during these mayhem situations.
Sometimes, Murphy gets me and sometimes I'm lucky.
The more time you spend in the woods, the more you see and the more that stuff just happens. You just need to put in the time and good things will eventually happen.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
Bucky, not very high. 10 feet usually. I use 2 rapid rail sections and I think they are about 40" long each with maybe a 12" gap between them plus the step up to the first and the step up from the second to the stand maybe 15" each, thats what 122" or 10'.

Eric that's good. Never had one step on my bow before.

JD you are one lucky son of a gun   :biglaugh:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
Yeah Mickey, I don't think I'd tell that story LOL!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
Funny story for sure, Dang glad you were'nt hurt. You know us old farts don't heal so easy, and your way older than me.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2007, 03:40:00 AM »
I had a nice bear coming into my bait; and couldn't get a shot. At dark; I lowered my bow; and started climbing down. I heard a noise below me; and when I turned my headlight on it- it was the bear standing on my bow - looking up      :rolleyes:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2007, 04:27:00 AM »
Before I knew it was ok to pee near my tree/blind, I snuck about 20 yards away to pee on another tree. I look up from what I am doing and see the biggest buck ever, straight downwind, watching me pee. About 40 yards away. Of course he was shooting distance from where the blind was, but it didn't matter because my bow was in the blind. We just looked at each other until he turned and trotted away. I laughed right along with him for getting caught like that.   "[dntthnk]"  

Lesson was: pee close to yer setup and keep the bow close!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
Now that we all know you survived without harm, i'd pay good money to see that whole thing unfold... Could ya do it again, Mick! On tape?

:bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :rolleyes:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
Lol - nice.  I think you get extra points if you can think of something comically droll to yell as you plummet from your tree.  

"Banzai" is nice because it's short, readily memorized and somewhat appropriate.  "Yikes" is ok, but any rookie tree faller might say that by accident and with no preparation.  "I'm king of the world" would be great but you have to say it too fast (unless you're falling out of a really tall tree).

Anyway, thanks for sharing and please let us know if you work any interesting aerial catch phrases into your act.

:-D

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
I can't help but wonder if the "Banzai" thing is something he picked up from his "Dumb Bunch" days/buddys -   :D  . Glad you came out OK, Mickey - real glad!
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
Mick...great stuff. I had to re-read the story twice and laughed out loud. We've all had some experience like yours one time or another.

Years ago I "wandered away" from one of my ground blinds on a Mother Nature call. It was around 11am so I left the bow in the blowdown.
Halfway back to the blind, all I could do was watch, as a nice buck chased 2 does past the blowdown, no more than 10 yds away.

Just another lesson learned....never go anywhere without your bow!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©