Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 30# pounds too light?  (Read 694 times)

Offline rm2

• Trad Bowhunter
30# pounds too light?
« on: March 09, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
I have been thinking about getting a lighter longbow to practice with and hopefully improve quicker.  I  have a 53 # Bear montana and love it and can hit my mark fairly well.  Better and better as time and practice go on.  I have been thinking about a 40# pound practice bow but i have seen some that are about 30#.  Is 30# too light?  I had been thinking 40# just because i could still hunt deer with 40# bow.  I guess what i am asking is if 30# is to light a practice bow to carry over to my Montana longbow?  Any advise would be appreciated.  ( My form just seems to go out the window after ten arrows or so and i get addicted to shooting and my shoulders are stiff after shooting alot. )

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 30# pounds too light?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 04:53:00 AM »
If you warm up and shoot your lighter bows first, it's easier to keep at it with the heavier bows. That's my experience.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Simple answer, no it is not too light. You will be able to feel, isolate and gain muscle memory using the proper muscles better using the light wieght. FWIW, I practice all the way down to an 8# theraband.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by BobCo 1965:
Simple answer, no it is not too light. You will be able to feel, isolate and gain muscle memory using the proper muscles better using the light wieght. FWIW, I practice all the way down to an 8# theraband.
Here here! I hunt with bows in the 60-65# range & regularly practice & exercise with a 28#er.
As Bobco says, it really helps you to isolate individual muscle groups & feel you ralignment without over straining yoursef. Works even better if you do it with your eyes closed  ;)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Another vote for "no, it's not too light."  I think I get much better form practice, and can stay with it longer, with my 30# bow than I do if in addition to working on consistent form I'm fighting the weight of the bow.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline canshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
I shoot a 30lb bow most of the time. It demands good form and a perfect release which stands me in good stead when I shoot my heavier bows.

Offline rm2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
Thank you guys for responding.  I appreciate your opinions.  If i can get a light longbow for a descent price i am going too.  I could use it for friends who want to try it out as well, I think just about anybody guy or girl could have some fun with a thirty pound longbow.  If the release is harder with a lighter bow, how do you practise to get it consistent?

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 02:44:00 AM »
It's not exactly "harder", but a sloppy release will easily be the cause of a sluggish shot, when you're shooting a lighter bow. Speaking from experience. A clean release is always best, but a lighter bow will not be as forgiving as a heavier bow. Again, speaking from experience  :archer:
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
I practice with a light and hunt with a heavy.  I would like to point out that you must also shoot your heavy on a regular basis or you will loose the muscle tone to shoot the heavy.  Bill

Offline kmunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
I have 37 lb and 55 lb limbs for my bob lee sure do enjoy the 37's

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
if 30# holding weight feels right for you, then it's the right bow to shoot.

a light bow for me would be no lower than 45# @ 29".  much less and it's just too hard for me to get a crisp and consistent release and screws up my gray matter bow computer.  i see no goodness in shooting a bow that works against me.  

on the other end, anything much past 55# doesn't work at all well for me, either.

but lots depends on the bow, the length, the design, the materials, the build.

every day i work out with my 55# longbow, and part of those sessions is to pull and hold past my anchor.  

the lighter weight bows are for rehab or 'serious target shooting'.  ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Back in the Golden Age of American archery, the 1960s and 70s, target archery, especially indoor leagues at 20 yards, was once the fastest growing sport in the country. Then the compound bow was invented and everything went to hell. But never mind that.

The most popular draw weight was 33 pounds. You can find lots of lovely old bows on the auction site of 33 pounds. I must have owned a dozen of them at various times. 33 to 35 with light arrows will get it done at all target distances out to 100 yards. 30 might not quite.

These bows are a delight to shoot and you can shoot hundreds of arrows a week with them, the key to getting really good at this oldest of all sports. Come deer season those archers moved up to a 'heavy' bow, maybe 45 pounds.

It worked then and it works now. I believe few men can achieve top form and scores with heavier bows. The Olympians, who don't have to work for a living, can maintain thier skill with somewhat heavier bows, but most of us cannot train enough hours and arrows in a year to do so.

So yes, I believe a bow drawing in the 30s, depending upon your strength and draw length is best for developing your form and skill.

Myself, I move up to the low forties for competition season, and around 50 in hunting season. But 50 is more than I need unless I win the lottery and can go to Africa or Alaska. - lbg

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
Make sure it can be shot with the same set up, ie: off the shelf with rug rest if that is what your hunting bow is.  Also use light arrows and the trajectory will be similar to the heavier bow.  I did it myself with a 30# bow for rehabbing my elbow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©