Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Frustrating! What do you think?  (Read 676 times)

Offline shaneroe

• Trad Bowhunter
Frustrating! What do you think?
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
I had a previous post a few days ago and I've been doing what some of you had said.  I am still struggeling though.  Lucky for me, a good guy has PM me and offering to help.  I just want to see what you all said.

My arrows still have a "wag" up before hitting the target.  Maybe a touch left too.  Then they stick in perfect.  This is at about 15 yards.  I have moved my brace height, nock point, trimmed my arrows down an inch, tried different point weights, taken weight tubes out and left them in, put an extra nock on since I'm 3 under, and I even did a dance!  What else should I do?  Did I buy the wrong spined arrows?

My bow is 60 inches
63 pounds at 29 inches
Arrows are Herritage 250s cut to 30 inches

Any suggestions?

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frustrating! What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
Is that with a bare shaft?

Offline shaneroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
No, it's not.  I know, it should be.  When I ordered my arrows they came fletched.  I wasn't sure what else to do.

Offline rpembert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
What size feathers do you have? I had that problem and corrected it by using 5 1/2" feathers as per Jerry Hill's instructions. I was using 2213 xx75 @28" and a 65# longbow. Arrows would fly all over the place. I had only 4" feathers and replaced them with 5 1/2, no more worries. They fly great.

I now have the Easton Legacy 2018 with 5 1/2" feathers and thats the best combo.

Joshua

Offline shaneroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
They are 5 inch feathers.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
You can learn a lot from bare shafts.  I think you can learn even more from shooting fletched arrows that have had the feathers cut back to the quill.  Just take one of your fletched arrows and trim off the feathers right above the quill with scissors or a sharp knife, leaving the quill and just a hairline of feathers intact.  This will give you a more accurate bare shaft reading than a bare shaft, because the weight of the quill and glue affects arrow flight.  It will also allow you to determine if you have any quill contact with your arrow shelf or riser.  I like to have one of each kind of arrow that I shoot fixed this way, and periodically shoot it to see if anything has changed with my tuning.  One thing different about shooting with trimmed feathers over a bare shaft is that any problems with a bare shaft will get worse the further downrange the bare shaft goes; the trimmed feathers and quill will have some stabilizing effect on the arrow as it goes downrange, so you need to look at what's happening at 15-20 yards.

You think, why should I ruin one of my fletched arrows?  For me, it's the best investment I could make with one of my arrows.  You're going to ruin them all eventually anyway!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline shaneroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
Thanks.  I'll try it.

Offline shaneroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Todays carbon arrows should fit a fairly large range of bow weights right?  So how do you know if you just have the wrong dang arrow?  Thanks.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Forget how they wag in flight for a few shooting sessions.  That can easily be just a release issue.

Get some broadheads that weigh the same as your field points and shoot 3 of each in a round.  Compare where the two groups are in relation to each other(not to the bull).  That can tell you everything that's wrong.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
What's your point weight?  I only ask because that sounds like you may be a little weak in spine.  

I know with my setup 45@28 I'm shooting a 28.5" long Heritage 250 with 212 grains(compined with insert) up front.  Sounds like you may need to move up to 350's or really start cutting down/dropping point weight.

Another thing you can try...shoot a few arrows cock feather in...see if that solves your problem.  You may be getting some quill contact with your bottom hen feather...this little test will let you know.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline shaneroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
I want my arrow to be between 600 and 700 g.  so I've been shooting points from 145-250.  

My arrows are about 30 inches long.  I'm starting to think too that I need to get the 350s.

Again, thanks for the input.  I'm willing to try anything.  Buying new arrows all the time gets expensive.

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
You can usually get tuning kits from some places that include several different point weights and a few arrows of different spines to play with before making the investment in the full dozen.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
http://heilakka.com/stumiller/   try this , it helped me
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
Stu can get you close but for me thats not good enough do some bare shafting to find out what the bow likes.
2 morrison mini ilf's skinned
2 shawnees skinned
2 PCH X honduran rosewood
Tiger mytrle and brazilian rosewood

Offline shaneroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
I did what you all say and bare shafted.  I was low and right.  Then I went to Stu's chart and according to Stu's chart I'm quite a bit underspined. I could shoot a real light point, like 100 or 125 and be OK, but I don't want to.  I think I'm going to go ahead and get the 350s.  Does that make sense?  Thanks for all your input!

Shane

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeremy:
Forget how they wag in flight for a few shooting sessions.  That can easily be just a release issue.

Get some broadheads that weigh the same as your field points and shoot 3 of each in a round.  Compare where the two groups are in relation to each other(not to the bull).  That can tell you everything that's wrong.
Very sound advice right there.

Also, when using Stu's calculator, make sure you enter the correct entry for center shot. In my opinion, this is the single most important, yet most often overlooked, entry you enter into the calculation.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©