Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Arrow tuning ?  (Read 433 times)

Offline cwbyengraver

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow tuning ?
« on: March 09, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
I have a 35# recurve I have never shot trad bows before. I just watched masters of the barebow 3. My question is do I just start shooting with the right weight arrows.And get comfortable with shooting. Or do I start with arrow tuning. Or is that for advanced shooters thanks

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow tuning ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Regardless of your experience you need the right spined arrows for your bow.
2 morrison mini ilf's skinned
2 shawnees skinned
2 PCH X honduran rosewood
Tiger mytrle and brazilian rosewood

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
You do need to have an arrow that is spined close to what you will need.  Probably a 500 or 600 spined carbon arrow will be close depending on your draw length.  I wouldn't get too carried away with trying to get perfect arrow flight just yet because you need to learn how to shoot first.  Once you feel like you have learned a consistant form you will be able to fine tune arrow flight.  Whatever arrow you choose make sure they are all the same in weight, spine, and length.  I see a lot of guys starting out shooting and they have 6 arrows that are all different.  Somewhere here at Tradgang, maybe on the POWOW, Rob has put together something that may help you the most.  I think it is called "Traditional Newbies".
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline cwbyengraver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Thanks y'all

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 02:09:00 AM »
Go to a shop that "really" understands stickbows an have them set you up with an arrow they can "prove" will fly well from your bow.

Anybody that tells you to buy without being able to prove the product will work,,,walk away.

Once you have confidence in your gear,then learn to shoot.

You won't achieve much by trying to tune your own gear until you can shoot,so learn to walk before you trying running.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
I would get on a blind bale with any arrow that meets bowyer's gpp recommendation.  I would not put a target on it.  I would make sure my form is accurate by practicing the same routine on a bale.    Having the right form will make your bareshafting technique easy.   You must have the right spined arrow for your bow to shoot to it's potential, but you must have the right form to shoot well.   Believe me, I learned this the hard way.  It was very frustrating, and made me almost want to throw in the towel.  I developed much better form after watching Rick Welch's video.  I bare shafted.  Built my arrow's according to the bare shaft, and am very happy with the results.  It is satisfying to go out and shoot well every time.  If I have a bad shot, I now know that it is a form issue, and not an equipment issue.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©