Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: bloody nose...help  (Read 756 times)

Offline canshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
bloody nose...help
« on: March 12, 2010, 08:03:00 AM »
I shoot 3 under and anchor with thumb against earlobe and cock feather aginst nose. When I am shooting my best, and most consistently I end up with abrasion on my nose. It is worse with vanes than with feathers. Any suggestions without spoiling my form?

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bloody nose...help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
First turn head more into target.

I had same problem a while back and took some video footage, what I noticed was that as I pulled into and settled my Anchor I noticed that I was also turning\\pulling my head back slightly which turned my nose in the path of the string, easy to do if you draw too hard\\deep into anchor.

Worth checking

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Keep your head turned out more.  If you can't and get feather contact, can you turn your nock so your fether turns out a little more?  How about shield cut feathers?

Rod Jenkins has the same problem, and he puts tape on his nose.

You can also get away from the feather anchor and try something different.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline canshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Thanks I appreciate the response guys. I dont really want to change my anchor because Ive got it working really well. It seems obvious to turn my head more, but you know how one little change can throw you right off. I might have to go out looking like a dweeb and put some tape on, Heck if its good enough for Rod...!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
I was also hitting my nose a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know what it was until I looked at my string nock and it had blood on it! I tried a serving nock and it didn't work either(although I did put super glue on it which made it as hard and rough as the metal one so no wonder it didn't work, DUH!).

So, with some help on here, I was able to figure out what the problem was. I was trying to increase my draw length and this was causing me to hit my nose every time. After we figured that out, I went outside to shoot and I went back to my old anchor point and never hit my nose again.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline canshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Thanks again guys, I was in an international competition today, tried turning my head just slightly towards target and didn't get a bloody nose. Even got a Robin hood in the 10 ring which with a barebow in competition is apparently a first at our club which has been in operation since the 60's

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
Same for me.  Mine was cured by canting the bow more, and realizing that I was trying to overdraw the bow.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline ren sarns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
I still have this issue,  I shoot 3 under and anchor index finger on corner of mouth and thumb on back of jaw bone below the ear.  My string is hitting the tip of my nose.  I will try the advice above at lunch today.  Thanks!
WSAA/TBW/NFAA

NAVY MCPO - RETIRED

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 04:17:00 AM »
My buddy has the same problem and uses one of the small round band aides on his nose

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 04:24:00 AM »
My buddy has the same problem and uses one of the small round band aides on his nose

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
I battled the same thing for a couple years. I finally switched gloves and it completely cured the nose cutting for me.

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Was happening to me when I concentrated too much on anchor point and form. When I just shoot it doesn't happen.
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Dryfired

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 04:13:00 AM »
I'm surprised no-one has suggested a nosejob, although it's hardly trad. I get scared for my big ol' Dutch-heritage nose sometimes when shooting!
Go placidly

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Try opening the stance a bit by shifting the feet to more face the target and twisting the torso as Asbel has explained in past writings.  Might help.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
Rod Jenkins was teased in MOBB 3 video about this same thing.  Maybe that's the price for a championship  :)
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
I battle the same thing.  During my last practice session I tried a variety of things but the only one that helped was snapping my string loose rather than letting it slide off of my tab.  I don't have the range of motion in my neck/head that I used to so turning more towards the target doesn't seem to help very much.  Opening stance, more cant, etc. all help to a degree but nothing I have tried seems to be fool proof.

I think I need to set up my camera in video mode and see what I am doing.  

BTW:  I shoot split finger and my nose seems to be hitting at the top of my serving.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©