Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Finger Tip Numb  (Read 780 times)

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
Finger Tip Numb
« on: March 12, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
I haven't shot since last Saturday, and my middle finger tip from halfway up from the first knuckle to the tip is still numb.  This is the first time I've ever had any kind of numbness from shooting.  Has this ever happened to any of you guys?
Genesis 21:20 - "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finger Tip Numb
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
My finger went numb occasionally when I was shooting with a thinner glove.  When I switched to a thicker glove, I didn't have that problem.  Over time, I have developed a sort of callouse on the tip of the middle finger, so I can now shoot with the thinner glove again, if I want to.

I wouldn't keep shooting with a numb finger, as that indicates nerve damage.  When the finger recovers, try a thicker glove for a while.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
It could be the glove,finger pinch or soft fingers.try and release evenly with all fingers if one is griping more (the middle) it will take more of the string dragging on it at release.Are you arrows hitten the mark or are they tailing a bit?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
My middle finger tip is numb most of the time. It also shows on my glove. The middle finger is worn alot more than the rest of the tips. Not sure why. tried a tab but did not like it. tried a heavy glove and did not like it. Not sure what to do next. I may tape my finger tip. Take care, Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline trick00

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
I shoot a tab and if I am going to shoot more than 50 or 60 shots, I will put 1 wrap of electrical tape around my fingers, that does wonders for me

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
I used to have the same problem.I figured it was because I was trying to draw with the string too close to the tips of my fingers so I would get a smoother release.So I started gripping the string about 1/8 to 1/4" past my first knuckle joint.Now, I get a much better release,no more finger problems, and even gained about 3/4" draw length.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
Guys, not to alarm anyone but it may be more of a medical issue than you know. I was just two weeks ago diagnosed with Raynaud;s Disease. It's a constriction of the vessels in appendages , causing them to go numb. Lot of unknown stuff with it. On me it's just my left hand index finger. Mine's triggered by touching something cold. On others, it something else that sets it off.If it persists, you might want to have it looked at.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
I posted a topic on this very same subject a few weeks back.  I had the same problem.  I took some fellow ganger's advice and added some sticky fingers from office supply.  I put them in the tips of my glove.  I also stopped shooting for three weeks.  Feeling finally came back.  My glove was too thin.  My finger eventually dried and split relieving the numbness pressure.  I now have much tougher fingers, and the problem is gone.   I hope this is your same situation.   Most importantly:  Let it heal before you continue shooting.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline OutbackMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
Just started shooting trad w/i the last month.  Last Sat. I put probably 150 or more shots thru my bow and the next day the ring finger on my release hand was numb/tingly from the center of it all the way around the outside to almost the nail.  It's still numb/tingly today, but I try to shoot around 50 or so shots/day so I'm not giving it any rest.  I shoot split fingered w/a Damascus glove and I'm trying to figure out if it's string pinch or if I've got too much pressure on that particular finger.  Shooting a 62" bow w/a 29" draw.
N.R.A. Life Member
N.A.H.C. Life Member
Buckeye Big Buck Club Member

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 04:24:00 AM »
Had that too when I first started shooting. It goes away when your skin toughens. It did for me atleast. I shoot without a glove though.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
I had that problem ,so i switched to a bigshot glove and no more nerve damage.

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Exactly what Smallwood said above. bigshot glove
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Had the same thing happen just starting out. Was using a used, pretty worn glove at the archery shop. Switched to a new tab, and fewer issues - still a little, but suspect it will pass as I build caluses. I shoot 3 under & it was my middle & ring that went numb

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
After my middle fingertip being numb for nearly 3 weeks, I've taken the advice of you guys here on Tradgang and ordered me a Big Shot Glove.  I'm confident the knowledge and experience here on Tradgang will prove this is the right answer to my problem.

D.A.
Genesis 21:20 - "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer"

Offline hunterken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
The problem may be uneven pressure on the finger giving the problem. If you look at the wear on the shooting glove, you will probable see more wear on that finger indicating it is "carrying the load" out of the 3 fingers. May want to try and grip he string more evenly, and switch to a heavier glove as suggested

Offline Bunny buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
my finger next to my pinky has been getting numb and tingly. A calas is forming there.
stick and string for life

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
If you are getting a callus om the tip of your ring finger, it usually means your drawing elbow is too high.  Check in a mirror, close your eyes and act like you are drawing a bow.  When you open your eyes, check the position of your drawing elbow, it should be pretty close to level with the top of your shoulders.  A little bit above is OK, but if the tip of your elbow is higher than the top of your ear, you need to work on lowering the elbow.  A proper deep hook with the string in the 1st joint will usually bring your elbow down.  Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©