Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: BS always nock low???  (Read 694 times)

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
BS always nock low???
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
I read about chronic nock high, but I seem to always have nock low when I bare shaft??? any ideas? 3 under, 60" SXT longbow, #47 @29, brass nock above and dental floss nock below, nocks aren't too tight. Bow is tillered 3U, but off the shelf, I am at 3/4 for good flight...I put on a brush rest to try an offset the high np, but it is still a hair above 5/8ths. I like my point on to be 22 or so yds and when it gets above 5/8, my point on shrinks to 17/18 yds. thanks.

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BS always nock low???
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
When I bare shaft tune I don't pay attention to the nock orientaion in the target...just where they are grouping compared to the fletched shafts I shoot 3 of each multiple and look for consitant patterns. If can keep 3 of each in a 5/6" group at 20 I'm happy with my set up.

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
What distance do you bare shaft at ???
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
I use the OL/BS method also. BS's always top edge to 3" above fletched, I have been doing this in my building, which is about 18 yards...snow is gone now...hope to get some 25-30yd shots in today.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I use the bareshaft planing test too, but I also cross-check nock high/low with bare shafts by shooting through paper at close ranges. I put a smudge of lipstick on the arrow point to help read the tear. I've found the paper technique to be more definitive for testing & adjusting nock set position. Just make sure your arrows are truely horizontal at full draw.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
I have 9 bows that I have bare shafted for 3 under.  Only one of the 9 is properly bare shafted with a nock point of 5/8".  The others vary between 3/4" and 7/8".  Probably if you move your nock point up a little, you'll get rid of the nock low.

If you want a longer point-on, you'll have to drop your anchor.  I anchor with my thumb knuckle touching my earlobe, which is approximately the same position as my thumb knuckle behind my jawbone, and my 3 under point-on is 40 yards, with a 3/4" nock point.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
McDave, I used to anchor index to corner and thumb on jawbone and pt on was around 27yd, now..thumb to earlobe now w/middle finger to corner. I shoot a brush rest, which puts my arrow about 1/4 above the shelf. I'm frustrated in the fact that for some unknown reason, I can get great groups, yet while shooting @ 30yds yesterday my fletched still grouped great(4" to 6"), but my BS looked like a rocket and impacted about 18" high...my usual NP(hair above 5/8)and pt on of 22yds is gone and I'm scratching my head. I didn't like the lower anchor, because I didn't seem to get a good sight picture and w/the higher anchor, all I had to do was put my tip at the bottom of a deer's chest from 0-20 yds and I would be right in the kill zone. I also touch the feather to my nose and use a clicker to...long story short, I'm really questioning why I would need such a high nock pt. w/ an elevated rest. thanks

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
just read another post about a fellow shooting high...head to high, heeling bow...I think I might be dropping my head down to get to that feather and I have been shooting with a high wrist grip as of late...still puzzled about my sudden need for a higher NP.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
A hard arrow rest will move the point of impact up, and a soft arrow rest will drop the point of impact.  I was reminded of this when I started hitting high a few months ago, so moved my nock point up 1/8 to compensate.  A few days ago, I noticed that my arrow rest was getting worn out, so I replaced it with a new Martin rug rest, which is a soft arrow rest.  My point of impact dropped and I was hitting low, even though the arrow was a sitting a little higher on the new rest than it was on the old worn-out rest.  I moved my nock point back down where it had been when I first started shooting the bow, and my arrows were on target again.

I didn't realize it at the time, but the reason I had been hitting high is that my arrow rest was wearing out, and getting harder in the process.  Since that happened over time, it wasn't something I noticed, but it sure was evident when I put on the new rest and the point of impact dropped a good 6" at 20 yards.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline easyup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
McDave,
If I read you post correctly it would say that over the period of time that your rug was on the point of impact at 20 yards shifted 6".  That sounds like something I would want to avoid as I am trying to get all of my bows to shoot exactly the same and not have to mentally allow for differing trajectories.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
Easyup,

That is correct, as the rug rest wore out, the point of impact shifted up.  I'm going to pay more attention as the new rug rest wears out, now that I know it happens.  Maybe I'll just replace the rug rest more often, or maybe I'll switch to some other rest, if I have to replace it too often.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©