3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Takedown vs One piece....  (Read 1364 times)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Takedown vs One piece....
« on: November 16, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
I have always shot a one piece bow. I have never even shot a takedown. Whats the difference(If any)? Bob Morrison has a riser that has caught my eye. Thanks for the info!

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Takedown vs One piece....
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
I though about cutting one of my hill bows and making a take down so I could get it on the motorcycle but I never could find the rite way to do it to make it worth the risk.   :scared:
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »
Next to a one piece, many TD's look like a 2x4 with two leaf springs held on with door knobs, but other than that,, not much. Bob's are a bit cleaner than that.
Obviously the concept of a TD is for flexibility so you can change weight etc while keeping the same grip, or to be used for easy transportation.. I'm willing to bet, most never get taken down once together.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
With most takedowns, the riser is of course beefier adding more weight.  The added weight helps a touch with overall feel and stability.  Now Morrison's risers are a little more streamline than mosts, so you probably won't notice too much of a difference. There is the flexability of changing out limbs if you want different draw weights for different functions, like 3D vs. hunting.  And then there's the benefit of being able to pack it into a smaller package when traveling.  I've only taken my down a few times when flying home to NC.  It's great to be able to break it down and stick it in my suit case.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
It feels like I'm totin a compound, almost.  Too heavy for me!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
They pack great and are an excellent answer for a back up bow.  Don't know why, but I always want to grab a 1-pc when I head to the woods.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
If you ever have to fly to hunt the TD is the way to go. If you do not fly it might not be worth the extra money. I personally have three two piece Massie "Longhorns" and two one piece "Longhorns". I see very little difference in weight or performance in these long bows. Take down recurves on the other hand are quite a bit heavier then their one piece cousins. Despite the differene in weight, both of my recurves are take downs because of the ease of travel. With that said, I will agree with Earl from above. The only time I ever break them down is when traveling and that might only be once or twice a year, if I'm lucky.    :jumper:

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Earl E. Nov...mber:
Next to a one piece, many TD's look like a 2x4 with two leaf springs held on with door knobs, but other than that,, not much. Bob's are a bit cleaner than that.
Obviously the concept of a TD is for flexibility so you can change weight etc while keeping the same grip, or to be used for easy transportation.. I'm willing to bet, most never get taken down once together.
If I had a bow that look like a two by four with two leaf springs bolted to it,   :campfire:    I'd go outside and have a campfire.   :biglaugh:  

I happen to have Turkey Creek Longbow three-piece takedown, it is really nice looking, my eagle flight quiver fits on a perfectly and doesn't slip around like someone said, maybe it's because they haven't trimed there's properly.  But anyway, I do take mine now, it goes into the case every time after my hunt, the case cost 1/6 of what the bow did.  Every time I take it into the shop to shoot the range, I get comments on how nice looking it is.  Well I guess I could show you pictures of it.

I am a newcomer to Turkey Creek Longbow's, I have one of Doug's three-piece takedown it is 43# @ 29" 63" I just purchased it,I didn't have to wait because it was already finished when I called him.  I also noticed no hand shock, and it is shooting arrows at 191 FPS, but I have not tuned it and the brace Height is 6 1/2, I thought I would have trouble with that shortness of the brace height, but I do not remember hitting my arm guard.  The arrows that I am shooting are axis 500, 125 gr Broadhead,  They will weigh at 428 G.  I've learned my lesson before, and one out and purchased the wrong arrows listing to the wrong advice, and I can do that again.
I work in a pro shop, so I get arrows pretty reasonable.

Here's the bow I purchased

Looks great, shoots great, and it's from a terrific bow maker

Carl    " this ain't no 2 X 4 "
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »
Carl,
That's exactly what I mean,, Nice wood, nice finish but from a design stand point the limbs look like they belong someplace else.. Just darn tough to do and keep them as clean as a one piece, Only one that I am aware of that comes close is Bear, Everyone else needs to deal with a big old bolt and an insert. Some bowyers do a decent job with it, but at best it adds a lot of mass and disrupts lines.
Sorry,  Earl..

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
I know I am probably offending a few TD owners with my observations, but realistically when the bow riser joint is as smooth as Carl's limb tips, my perspective will change.. Now I have a question of all the TD bowyers out there..
Has anyone ever tried  putting the threads in the limb and say a counter sunk Button head from the belly side?

Offline Jacko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
I have experimented with making my own takedown selfbows , as you can imagine a 74" selfbow is a pain to travel with . So far I have used marine hatch hinges [$4.00 ]and the sleeve and socket system . Both work real well but I prefer the hinge because its easier to fit and cheaper . Both shoot as a one piece bow .

I have started scouting for a another type of takedown assembly simply because its in my nature . I really like the dovetail set up sold by custom king and the bow bolt from Warren Archery . Just gotta save my pennies for a bit to get one of them . regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.'"

-Charles Darwin

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Earl E. Nov...mber:
I know I am probably offending a few TD owners with my observations, but realistically when the bow riser joint is as smooth as Carl's limb tips, my perspective will change.. Now I have a question of all the TD bowyers out there..
Has anyone ever tried  putting the threads in the limb and say a counter sunk Button head from the belly side?
Two words....Bob Morrison  ;)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline nick_the_tinkerer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
WOW that Turkey Creek longbow sure looks fine
Illegitimus Non Carborundum (Don't let the bastards grind you down)

NRA Life Member

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 03:40:00 AM »
I own 4 one piece bows but my take down is the bow I shoot now.
Not only is it easier to travel with,but because it's ILF compatable I can put the best limbs ever made on it.
I can use shorts,mediums or longs,from any of the worlds top manufactures.
It is in fact many bows in one.
There's no way I'm ever going to restrict my choises with a one piece ever again.
Right now I have Nishizawa carbon/wood long limbs on a Hoyt riser,and I plan on buying a new set of Hoyt 900CX Carbon foam limbs for it in the near future.
I also have a Hoyt Dorado on order and I fully intend to buy a set of Samick extreme limbs to replace the standard Hoyt limbs.
How many one piece hunting bows are there with FITA quality limbs on board???,short answer,,,none.
I do like my one piece bows,but I like the flexability of an ILF compatable take down much more.
These things are the future of real archery.

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
Broken arrow, my wife is going to be P-offed at you.  Now I have to get me one of those.  Very nice bow.
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
I like a T/D bow because I like to use different limbs for different Species, Meaning my Elk Hunting is done earlier in the season and my whitetail hunting is done later in the season when it is cool maybe even cold, pretty hard to draw a 60 or 70 lb bow when sitting in a stand for a few hours but a 50 lb bow draws pretty smooth for me, I do like the bows that have narrow and sleek looking risers. there are lots of them and they all look good to me.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
The lines of a one piece are hard to beat.
 But if you travel to hunt and would like the option to switch limbs Takedowns are the way to go. Threaded limb inserts and bolts from the belly side check out Bob Morrison's web site.
   Beautiful bows one piece or Takedown.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »
I always think a one piece looks best.  There are lots of nice looking takedowns out there, but none that are as pretty as a one piece (in my opinion of course).  That being said I've seen some nice work done with the bow bolt system.  I've seen it on recurves and longbows and is the closest to a one piece I've seen...Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Well I guess the limb bolt from the back wasn't an Earl-original,, and it's no surprise Bob would be among the first to do it.. Notice too how it cleaned up the profile.

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
Hey Earl,
         I'm a TD shooter and you haven't offended me a bit.You're right, my bows are rarely taken down. Take a look at Chek-mates H2s.The riser,while large, (I like the mass) is inletted to accept the limbs. From the side the lines are quite clean. Even from the front the limb bolts are countersunk and not terribly noticable.I am sure if it were available in a one piece I'd have one. I just like this style of bow.It also has a mighty pretty chunk of cocobolo 2x4 holding those jarrah covered leaf springs together.

Take care,
                     Ed  :campfire:    :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©