Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: rookie help  (Read 476 times)

Offline ks.bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
rookie help
« on: March 19, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
I am just getting started and need a good book or better yet a dvd to watch to help me out.I mostly need help deciding whether to shoot split finger or 3 under and help with aiming.I want to make sure i get started off on the right foot so i dont end up disappointed.Thanks guys for any helpful suggestions.

Offline flycaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: rookie help
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
The best book out there, by far, is "Shooting the Stickbow", by Anthony Camera. It's like a bible for trad shooters. Its photo reproduction is pretty variable in quality, but otherwise is excellent. I can't vouch for videos, except to stay away from Byron Ferguson's. Useless for a beginner. The bet bet would be to contact your local range or traditional archery club, if any are near you. Hands-on instruction is best, by far- and Mr. Camera would agree, I'm sure. Good luck, and just enjoy yourself!

Chuck

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
As far as DVD's, "The Accuracy Factory" by Rick Welch or "Masters of the Bare Bow," particularly #3, are excellent.  Both Rick Welch and Rod Jenkins (who is featured in MBB) are available for classes or private instruction, when you decide to go to the next level.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline vealboss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
If I had it to do all over again the very first thing I would do is go to one of Rod Jenkins clinics. I attended one last weekend and it is the best money I have ever spent. You learn from the ground up the RIGHT way to shoot. He works one on one with you and shows you how to fix your specific problems.  My shooting went from pretty good to a place I cant even believe in 6 hrs. He will also give you drills to help you stay consistent and ingrain your shot sequence in your brain. You can find his info on SafariTuff.com
 Have fun

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Hitten em like Howard   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Masters of the Barebow 3 has a lot of Rod Jenkins, who is a living legend and shoots 3U. Masters of The Barebow 1 or 2, can't remember, explains gap aiming and many others. Have fun with the different styles and settle on what feels good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©