3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Had my chance at a Big One !  (Read 383 times)

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
Had my chance at a Big One !
« on: November 17, 2007, 12:52:00 AM »
I finally got a chance to hunt private land, it's a gentleman who work with in the archery department.

I went to his house the morning at the designated time 4:40 am, we were in our stands about 40 minutes later.  He had 17 stands set up on his land.  The entire property is devoted to deer, including a sanctuary that's off-limits even if you shoot one and it goes in there, you have to wait until an hour after sunset to retrieve it.  He has his rules, and for good reason.  I got up in the tree stand that he had already had set up, it was about 16 ft.-high in a four trunk oak, the wind was supposed to die down but it hadn't, this was the first time ever, I have hunted out of a treestand.  It was pretty neat.  I didn't have to do all the work of hanging and put the steps in, it was about an 1 1/2 hr. before sunrise.

And you know how the forest and the dark figures start to look like they're moving.  But they never do.  The sun started to come up, and all the birds started chirping and looking for breakfast, squirrel started scurrying, and then I saw movement.  Well, not before I realized I didn't even put out my scent bombs, so about a half-hour before all this started happening, I just hunt thim in the tree at 16 ft. high didn't want climb down and give myself away, I didn't really think that they would work that high up, all of them were doe in heat, when I saw the movement it came from behind me, and that's the direction the wind was blowing, that's the direction the scent bombs were sending out what the buck was looking for, he came from the left, and worked his way around behind me to my right, his beautiful rich deep brown, and his antlers were almost as if someone had stained them, they were also a deep rich brown, they weren't the light-colored kind.  He look like he was for sure on an 80 lbs. maybe 200, which you know how that goes.  That's why I counted his antlers of many times.  He was awful stocky and his neck was swollen.  At this point I had my bow in my hand, my fingers on the string, I drew back, and went back and forth, from the spot I picked out on his broadside 25 yd. shot, to his antlers, I keep counting, one, two, three, one, two, three, by this time he looked at me, I stared at him, holding my draw, we were eyeing each other it seemed like for 10 minutes, but it was only for maybe 15 seconds, and I counted again one, two, three, by this time he dropped his head and started feeding again, he was still broadside, and it would be very easy shot at 25 yd., the reason I was counting one, two, three, is my friend, that owned the land has a rule,
" if you take the buck, it has to have 8 points or more, so I just enjoyed looking at him until he circled all the way around me, and came into one shooting lane that was only 20 yd. away or less, still counting one, two, three, he still hadn't grown any more antlers, he was only a six points, so I watched him walk into a thicket, 40 yd. in front of me, and lay down,

Boy I wanted to release my arrow, at 20 yds, but rules are rules, and he'll be a good buck next year, maybe I will hunt him specifically, because of the rich brown color in both his coat, and antlers.  But it was enjoyable, because he started to walk away when he was at 25 yd., and I didn't have my call it was in my pack, I was afraid to reach for it because it would scare him away, so I called him in with my mouth making, grunt calls, and bleeping, that was the coolest thing calling him and seeing him come back within 20 yd.

The hardest thing was not shooting, because as this was my first time in the tree stand, and I never shot a buck before.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Had my chance at a Big One !
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »
Awesome!  Thanks for sharing.  Sometimes those are the ones you will remember the most.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
I hope I can see him again, I would really like to photograph him.  Because of the different looking color, on the antlers.

Carl

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Sounds like a great hunt. It is nice to just be in the presence of such a great animal. It will happen for ya, just keep it up1 Shawn
Shawn

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 05:49:00 AM »
As hard as it is, following the rules is the number one way of getting invited back!  Don't forget a thankyou note or some such.  By being polite and becoming good friends with a fellow from church, I've earned exclusive rights to 42 acres of a suburban honey hole for deer.  Maybe you can do the same.  Now time to finish my oatmeal, get of the computer and head to said honey hole for a few hours before church!  Steve

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »
Get yourself one of those small handycam jobs and keep it with you in the woods. If you have a 8 point min limit, your going to get the chance to video some deer before your big boys shows up. Just don't get to tied up while videoing. He might show up then!

Thanks for the story! Keep after em!

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Yes, I have been kicking myself ever since, because I had my Sony handheld digital recorder in my pack hanging on the tree, but I was afraid that if I moved, he would have snorted, and that would have been it.  I even found out when I was looking through my Sony box yesterday, that it has a remote-control, I paid about $800 for a year ago, and I even bought a one gig card, so it also takes photos.

Next time I'll have it hanging on the tree instead of in my pack.  Tom came in today into the archery shop, that's the first thing he said
" I didn't shoot your Brownie", he talked to me about late-season, I think that's because he wants to go in there and do some tracking, that would be fun, sneaking up on "Brownie" in late-season, that would be after all the breeding is done.  So I think "Brownie" would be fair game then.

And that would make me a trophy buck hunter, to go after a specific " Brownie".  It would make me spends the money " mounting"

This is getting scary, I'm turning into a deer Hunter !  :biglaugh:  

Carl

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©