Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Gap shooting basics  (Read 599 times)

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
Gap shooting basics
« on: April 13, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I have been shooting instinctive for awhile but it seems like every 3d event i go to i lose confidence in my shooting and end up shooting like crap, i have a great line, my left and right is nearly always great but my elevation is usually off, i also seem to be great at judging distance, so when i go to a 3d event i want to gap and use it as a confidence builder. They great shooters i have talked to gap or have shot gap so much its automatic again.

That said what are the basics to gap or point of aim or advanced tips.
I shoot a 58@29 and a 31in 490 grain arrow, i have a point on at 50-51 yards even and so my largest gap is at 25 yards and it seems that it is really low, i have to aim about 15-20 inches under what i want to hit to get it there, today was the first day i started and i kept aiming at the base of my block target and still shooting over it so i think its closer to 20 in.

This seems like alot on a 3d target. I shoot 3 under and anchor with middle finger corner of the mouth and arrow nock  pressed to my nose and thumb on check bone.
 Is 20 in to much to be a good gap shooter, is there anything to do about this? I think now i need to write dow my gap for 10,15,20,..... Yards and start practicing? Is this right!

Thanks alot guys

Offline Huntinpool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gap shooting basics
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
I think you would want to be point on at 20-25 yds for 3d shooting. You may have to go with a stiffer spine and weight up the front a little more to get it done.
Staff Shooter
Cowtown Bowmen -Tourn. Director.
Morrison ILF w/Sky Carbon/Foam
Eagle Optics

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 05:57:00 AM »
My point-on is right at 26 yards and I anchor the same as you. I also shoot 3-under. My arrows are 29.25" and weigh 555 grains total. If I were you, I would experiment with a higher nock point. Not too high though, as you still want good arrow flight.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
My point on is 60y with 45# Longbow and 450g POC's same anchor as you guys, 28" arrow that sits on the shelf and not forward, I'm more Gapinstinctive or Split-vision.

I shoot IFAA Field so this point on is good, I also shoot IFAA and Fita 3D and manage just fine on the short distances. Think your brain will just adjust and you will shoot fine whatever you point on is, just give it time.

Dont know what distances you shoot but 26y point on might be a problem if you had to take a 40y shot.

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
So you just get used to putting your point and 6in under the belly of a target at 20 yards?

I do shoot with alittle nock high so i may drop it down then i will just have to get used to aiming under what i want to hit.

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
Actually a higher np should mean a lower point on or gap. Try touching the feather to your nose(rick welch method), to help with consistant head position. I have a 22 yd point on and anchor the same, but we all have a little difference in structur and form, good luck.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
bshunter is correct. I changed my original post. I had it backwards. DUH! Sorry 'bout the confusion, what was I thinking?!!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Lazy Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
A 20 " gap at 20 to 25 yds is not all that bad. A friend of mine does quite well with similar gaps.
On deer type targets you can use the front leg as a reference.Your 20 " gap will be just a bit above the hoof to get a 10 ring hit. as you get longer or shorter shots you can just come up the leg a bit ( use the ankle, knee , elbow etc )
I think that in MBB 2 Rod Jenkins says he has a 40 yd point on and a 20 " gap at 20 yds.

Ike

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
Rod Jenkins gives a great explanation of gap shooting in Masters of the Bare Bow 1 DVD.  I'd start there.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice fletcher.
I have seen motbb part 1 thats how i knew how to calculate my point on.
Is there anything about gap on mbb 3 ?
Any good articles or books about gap shooting?

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Another question i cut my arrows off at 30 in. If i left them a full 32 in would this make my point on shorter. I lowered my nock, it was too high anyway, but its still 50-55 yards.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 03:56:00 AM »
When it comes to a confidence break down in changed situations I belive changing your aiming method is not the cure,because the aiming method is not the real issue.
The real issue is the change in confidence due to unfamiliar pressures.
If a person has an aiming system that works for them in everyday situations but not during unfamiliar situations,then the answer is to address the situation,not the aiming system.
Those guys that are doing well in competition aren't doing so just because of their aiming methods,their doing it because they have confidence in what their doing.
You can learn a new aiming method,,,but the confidence thing is still going to be there.
Maybe stick to what you know for aiming,but work on becoming more relaxed and confident in unfamiliar situations.
I won't bother going into my own breathing tech' because most trad shooters treat it like some kind of evil black magic or a joke,but if you do a bit of research on target archery breathing methods you'll find most of it is about lowering your heart rate,becoming calm,relaxed,confident, and shooting better because of it.

Good luck.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 05:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Earthdog:

Those guys that are doing well in competition aren't doing so just because of their aiming methods,their doing it because they have confidence in what their doing.

Good luck.
So true, some people like to find key points in top Archers sucess like feather on the nose, choice of equipment or aiming method etc, when it comes to aiming choice they all work and as Earthdog said if you have confidence in your methods you will do well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©