Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Split finger past 20 yards  (Read 549 times)

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Split finger past 20 yards
« on: April 23, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
Newbie here. Does anybody else find it difficult shooting split finger past 20 yards. I seem to be more accurate 3 under. I anchor with middle finger at the corner of my mouth. I think 3 under just brings the arrow up closer to my eye.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Split finger past 20 yards
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
what is the problem that you r encountering past 20yrd?
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I feel like i lose the arrow. Left and right is the same but i find the the windage more difficult than three under.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
I shoot just split finger.Never could get the hang of 3 under.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
im sorry but you just controdicted yourself :windage is left and right . if you mean you r hitting high or probably low , than id sugest a great exersize i use called the walkaway start at 5 yards shoot a good shot then take three to 5 steps back and shoot again till you make a good shot then back more ect.... till your happy with your distance. i also like to shoot my way back as well . it trains the mind to adjust and judge distance in smaller incriments.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 03:25:00 AM »
Well Clifford... I'll tell ya.

I recently went from split-finger to three-under myself. I have a buddy that shoots a lot of 3-D tourneys and we were goofing around one day, stump shooting. "Closest one picks the next shot" sort of thing and he was kicking my butt!

Now, I know he doesn't practice more than I do, heck he's nearly blind in one eye and can't see to good out of the other! That's why I enjoy shooting with him, it makes me feel better about myself. I just couldn't figure out why he was shooting so well. It wasn't that I was shooting bad, I was hitting at my "so terribly close, but no cigar" best.

Then I noticed he was shooting three-under. I asked about it and he admitted to switching a few weeks ago. He said that it had increased his 3-D scores by a huge margin, especially for those targets at further distances. He said that I should try it; it couldn’t make me shoot any worse. I didn't think it could make THAT much difference, but, being a friend I didn't want to Poo Poo what might just be his only mental crutch (in spite of the sharp verbal jab). I humored him and gave it a try. BINGO! We were back to the normal 50/50, he gets one, and I get one manner I was accustomed to.

Upshot of all this is, I shoot more accurately with three-under than I do split finger, especially at greater distances. Don't know why. Maybe because it’s closer to my eye; maybe I get a cleaner release that way. Maybe it cuts down on the Sub-Space Interference between my ears, no clue.

All I know is that it works for me, maybe not for others. Some folks like green Jell-O, some don’t. Although I consider myself a fairly inquisitive kinda guy, I'm leaving it alone. I don't want to jinx anything, it works, 'nuff said.

Sounds like it works for you too. If you find out why it works, FOR GOD’S SAKE DON’T TELL ME!

Good luck with your shooting, welcome to the club.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 05:45:00 AM »
It's closer to your eye, so it's easier to check your alignment left and right probably.  Most people use 3 under for just the opposite reason: to reduce their gap on close range shots when gap shooting.  The gaps are generally too large with split at close range to accurately repeat them.  Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
Yep, 3 under is normally used for short range.  Split for longer...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline The Butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
I swithched to three under, last year.  I had anchor issues with split finger, could never get comfortable.  I also instinctivly seemed to want to put the tip of the arrow on every deer I shot at.  I shot over so many deer it's not even funny.  When shooting practice, I'd do ok but never shot traditionl equipment well.  Went to three under, very comfortable, since I seem to want to put the tip on everything, I might as well.  Traditional equipment, (at least for hunting) is for the guy who wants the thrill of getting close. This style works great for me, trying to sell a couple of my bows, to order one made for three under.
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean.  It's perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands.  It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.  -  John Wayne

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
tried shooting with the fletch touching my nose, still split finger release. Worked like a charm. Sorry if im off topic just thought id add my two cents.
-just add effort.

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Van,

Why is that?

Thanks
Freedom is not constituted primarily of privileges, but of responsibilities

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
well its very clear that people shoot thier way for their own reasons. i shoot split finger and instinctive and im much more efective up close,yes i have a point-on its like 62yrds and nevr used but to get silly. all you need is a solid form and lots of practice and you will be able to see the tradjectory before it happens at short and not so short distances. but it takes time and practice ... i believe the limitations of "ANY" archer (im sure most would agree)are the limitations that we believe and accept for ourselves .no matter what style or equiptment we choose.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©