Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting form  (Read 421 times)

Offline flyboy61

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting form
« on: April 26, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Hey, guys, total newbie here. At least, I haven't even handled a bow for  at least 35 years, but find myself fascinated again by archery.

I had a lemonwood stickbow that a friend gave to me in the '50s, but never could figure out the aiming diagram in my Boy Scout Handbook.

A couple of questions:  First, back then, having no other source of learning, I tried to copy the drawing in the Handbook; you know, back straight, bow vertical...I notice in the photos and videos...today NOBOBODY does that. It appears to be a more relaxed style now, and the bow is almost universally tilted. HOWCOME?

Next; I read the Newbie article, and it farbled my whole afternoon, I'll tell you! I am right-handed, and  I have always shot firearms as if I were right-eye dominant, but I found out I'm  actually left-eye dominant.  Hoo boy!   I probably won't change my firearms style, it likely will do no good, old dogs, you know...  but for archery?

I hold the bow in my left hand, and draw with my right. Does that mean I am a right or left-handed shooter? Will I have to change anything to begin archery again?

And finally...I am thinking I should start with a lighter bow, maybe aout 35# till I get used to the whole thing again.

Eventually...dare I say it...I think I'd like to make a bow. Am I nutz?
Thanks
Old enough to know better, but too young to resist.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting form
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
Flyboy,  Welcome back.

Many shoot trad gear with a vertical bow.  Vertical to about 45 degrees is common -- find what feels best and works for you.

Bow in left and draw with right is right handed.  If you really are left eye dominant and just starting and getting equipment, you may want to try bow in the right and draw with the left to get your strong eye over the arrow.

You don't say where in Utah you are but if in or near the cities on the west slope on the Wasatch I'm sure there are many places and people that can help you get restarted and even let you try right and left equipment.  35# bow will be really good starting point and as your topic post indicates form trumps everything else.  Find a coach to get you started right.

Good luck and enjoy!
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting form
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
There is a post permanently placed on the top of the Shooters Forum, called Terry's Clock.  It illustrates correct body allignment.  It has helped me a great deal, and I recommend it to you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©