Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Thoughts on G Fred Asbell's recent article  (Read 666 times)

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on G Fred Asbell's recent article
« on: April 26, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Last night I read G Fred Asbell's article on right-brain/left-brain and shooting and it really hit home with me.  If you haven't read the article, basically he talks about how we learn to do things with the left side of our brain and perform them with the right side.  When using the left side we are very step-by-step and mechanical.  When using the right side, we just do it.

I found this article very interesting because I've found when I shoot and I'm a bit off my game, I start to analyze all aspects of my shot to the point where the whole process falls apart.  For example, I'll be concentrating on pulling through my release and then I realize I start dropping my bow arm, or that I'm not concentrating on the spot.  Then I finally get frustrated with everything and just say "Put the dang arrow in there and quit worrying about everything else!"  I'll then start shooting well again.

This isn't an excuse not to practice good form, but I think sometimes you need to let go and just do it.

I was just curious of what other's thought about Mr. Asbell's article and when you're shooting your best do you think about all aspects of the shot or do you just do it?
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Joshua Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on G Fred Asbell's recent article
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
I also enjoyed his article, and have had a similar experience with shooting. The question I had after reading it was.. how does eye dominance factor into this concept?
"Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
It is the courage to continue that counts"
Churchill

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Same thing happens in golf - start analyzing your swing or even observing mentally while trying to hit a golf ball, and everything just breaks down-- swing becomes stiff, mechanical, out of sync.  It definitly is the activity of the left brain that spoils the shot.  I try to do may thinking in between shots, than let go of it, then  take the shot---eaiser said than done, but w/ practice you get  better at shutting down the left.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:54:00 AM »
I talked about this on another forum saying some are better suited to instinct depending which side of the brain they use, Rod supplied an online test to see what side of the brain you use the most.

I can shot both instinct and Gap and the analytical side of me seems to prefer Gap BUT to shoot my best I still have to 'let go' and not consciously think about the shot sequence or Form and just allow the shot to happen.

All that analytical thinking during practice sessions helps me groove my form and shot sequence, the only time I start thinking about form during a tourney is if I have a couple of bad shots and need a few form shots to get back in the zone.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
What you are saying sounds logical to me. I know from my own experience, every time I practice(5x week)30% is for form with the rest shooting at a 5.5" sq. piece of corrugated with a 1" dot on it. I think of nothing other than putting that arrow into that dot. I shoot from 5yds. to 22yds. and can usually put 3 arrows within 2" of that dot consistantly. When I practice I shoot between 40-60 arrows, and have found this method working very well for me.   :archer:  

"An open mind is the doorway to knowledge"    me

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
I don't know, my left brain yells at my right brain, "HEY YOU DROPPED YOUR BOW ARM AGAIN!"

And my right brain says, "SHUT UP, I HIT WHERE I WAS AIMING!"

It's a constant battle and a horrible thing to watch    :smileystooges:
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
That was hilarious Old York!!!  :)  

I haven't seen GFA's latest article.  

I am amazed at how decent I shoot sometimes when I just let go and look at where I want the arrow to go.  With that "sometimes" qualifier in there, I must say that I feel more secure or consistent shooting gap/split-vision or string-walking.
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
I loved the article. Fred isn't reinventing the wheel or even claiming that this is his idea. Its fact. There are two hemispheres to the brain and they have different purposes. It applies to archery.

It is natural for someone to question what they are doing wrong and try to blame an element of their technique if they experience failure. The truth is, sometimes things do not happen the way we want them to and to go back to the mechanical drawing board isn't always the answer. Sometimes it can be damaging and I know for a fact by reading this forum that a lot of us do this FAR too much.

More often then not people fail to make a shot in a competition or hunting situation because of the pressure, not because of their mechanics.

The most controversial statement in the article is the one he makes about stumping vs 3D shooting. I don't feel 3D shooting should be treated any different than stumping. It is the competitive aspect and the pressure accompanying that is the variable factor. The only real difference between the two is that there aren't any "competitive stumping" tournaments. If we start stumping competitively he may change his tune.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
where did you guys see this article???
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by DHR:
where did you guys see this article???
Traditional Bowhunter. The new June/July issue.
Nick Viau
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
Good one Old York!  I go through that too.  Sometimes the ends justify the means.

I guess I also have to disagree with the statement about 3D shoots.  There's nothing that tell you how good of a shot you really are than a 3D shoot.  I think it is easier to shoot good while stumping because that small leaf or knot in the stump is a distinct spot to focus on.  The side of a relatively large 3D target (e.g. a large deer) is one homogeneous color making it much more difficult to concentrate on one small spot.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Interesting that medical physicians/researchers do not even understand much of brain function!

Did you know that a woman's brain has FAR more connections between the two hemispheres in contrast to men?  This is why men are better linear thinking, better quick survival thinkers, and better at logical tasks; whereas women are much better at assessing all the info and integrating it all.

I think there is FAR more to it.  

Quit thinking so hard- just go shoot!
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
I guess I also have to disagree with the statement about 3D shoots.  There's nothing that tell you how good of a shot you really are than a 3D shoot.  I think it is easier to shoot good while stumping because that small leaf or knot in the stump is a distinct spot to focus on. The side of a relatively large 3D target (e.g. a large deer) is one homogeneous color making it much more difficult to concentrate on one small spot.
I read an article about the negative effects of stumping the other day. I'm thinking it was a Dean Torges article? Does anyone know which one I'm referring to?

Anyways..well stated John. My biggest challenge with 3d shooting is exactly what you stated. I have a problem shooting against white bale targets over 20 yards as well. I just see toooo much and have a hard time focusing. That all seems to go away when hunting though.
Nick Viau
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by jsweka:

There's nothing that tell you how good of a shot you really are than a 3D shoot.
From somebody who has shot both 3D and Field at international level, my view is that IFAA Field archery is the true test of shooting skill for any Trad Archer, the reason so few Trad Archers do Field these days is because it's hard work compared to 3D, most just dont want to do the work to consistently shoot 4 arrows per target from 10 to 80 yards thats 112 arrows per round, World\\European tourneys last 5 days and last day normally requires the trad Archer to dig deep for form and focus. Last years Europeans 15 points seperated 1st and 2nd place in Longbow after 5 days.    

:archer2:

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
All I know is when an animal I intend to kill comes in my brain can't do but one thing at a time. I pick a spot and let the shot happen without thinking about it. If I try to think through the shot sequence as its happening then I'm not gonna shoot real well.  I think Fred's article hit the nail on the head, so to speak.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
I shoot according to the Caddie Shack Method:

Just be the arrow, na na na na na na na na na na...

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline SpencerL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
Maybe it's because I haven't practiced form enought, but it seems like my worst shots happen when I completely relax my mind in the middle of a shooting session. But if I try it the first shot of the day it seems just fine.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
When I read the article I thought I might try other ways to develop the right side of the brain to improve shooting.  I picked up a couple of the classic books; Hemingway and Faulkner at the library and was thinking about taking guitar lessons.  Not sure if it is true but if instinctive shooting is a right brain activity it seems that using the right side more often would improve shooting.  I've always been overly analytical and this has caused tp and other problems.

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
some of the best shots I have made, I don't remember anything about the shot except staring where I want the arrow to go.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©