Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Larry Whiffen anchor/release  (Read 452 times)

Offline Lazy Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
Larry Whiffen anchor/release
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
Anybody ever try a release like Larry whiffen as seen in the vintage archery video clips ?
The reason I ask is that I sort of came up with a similar method on my own as a way of combating tp. I don't anchor under the chin like he does, but I use the same sort of bouncung or trampoline type anchor/release. I just try to make sure that the release happens on the back-stroke rather than the forward.
I had gotten to the place where I could come to full draw on target but no matter what I could not maintain anchor as long as I wanted to. Letting the draw hand /arm /shoulder stay in motion seems to break the mental tension. It's not an instant fix , but I've been working on it for about 5 days and I'd say 85 to 90% of my shots are now released under control. I've shot with a clicker for about a year but this "feels" so much better.
Just wondering if anyone else has tried this....

Ike

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Larry Whiffen anchor/release
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Never heard of this, but sounds interesting--sounds like its working for you. How long is the bounce, --2" or more like 6"?

Offline Lazy Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
Chuck , It's not nearly that much. It's probably more like 1/2" or so. For me , I come back to anchor on my eye tooth and then "bounce" my finger from the front to the back of the tooth. It seems to work best if I don't try to shoot on a certain number of "bounces". as long as the release happens on the way to the back to the rearward position the shot is usually a good one. It allows me to take the time to confirm my sight picture before the shot. It also prevents me from collapsing if I just allow the shot to happen.
Go to the vintage video clips on this sight and click on Larry Whiffen. Go to the 3rd and 4th clips of him shooting. I think my "bounce" is more pronounced than his. And usually I am at anchor ( or in the area of anchor) for longer, but it's a very similar motion.

Ike

Offline Lazy Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
Just viewed the vintage clips again and it's actually only the 3rd one that really shows what I'm talking about.
One other thing....for me this is sort of like a forward press in putting( golf ) or boucing the basketball before the free throw. It sort of breaks the tension and puts me in a rythm of sorts.
If terry green is reading this I'd be curious to know what he thinks.Same for Rod Jenkins....

Ike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©