Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: does this look normal? (pics)  (Read 1084 times)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: does this look normal? (pics)
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
I guess if you can hit what you want it's OK but it certainly is ungainly and bizarre looking.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »

Here, Denny is showing proper form and alignment.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
This is how you are set up...and actually, it looks even more sever than this example I pulled off the 'Form Clock' thread......

Ends you up here in the blink of an eye....causing a lot of movement during the release of the arrow.

What you really need to do is a video clip...broadside of the drawing side, and an overhead.  That way we can disect your form better.

This would be more properly aligned.....

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Gunnar Mullins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
Thanks terry that is very helpful! I shot for about a half hour today and lowered the anchor point to the corner of my eye and tried to even out my shoulders.. it felt a little weird, but I seemed to remain accurate with it. I'll post a new pic/or video once i perfect my new stance/form!!
I'd rather hold a recurve than shoot a compound

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
I believe you will find it is anchor similarly used by Japanese Zen archers.  Ive often seen natives of Amazon, and Africa(bushmen) use a similar high anchor, in Nat'l Geo. films.  I have a friend who uses it effectively, with a 2 finger grip.  I used a similar high anchor for a while several yrs. ago w/ some success--- you've got me thinking about giving it another go.

Offline Gunnar Mullins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback Chuck!! Im trying to lower it a bit, but I will always have my "zen" roots  ;)
I'd rather hold a recurve than shoot a compound

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Look like one of the archers on the movie the last samurai. That hurts my shoulder lookin at it. I use the index to corner of mouth
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline meangene1969

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
If it works for you keep doing it. Only if you start having issues would I change. The only thing I can think of is you could have some issues in a hunting situation.
TBoT Life Member
LSBA Member
ASA Member

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
If you feel comfortable now, and you’re consistent in your approach (your form)… accuracy will come no matter what you look like ... so why not just go with your innate abilities/style.

My only suggestion would be to practice close (to the target bale) with the goal of consistency in your form.   Get 5 or 7 yards away from the target.   Shoot 3 arrows… the first being shot very low (like you’re in a tree stand shooting down to the ground), the second will be like shooting at a small 3D deer target) and one last shot will be like shooting at a 50 yard / long distance target.  You shouldn’t have to change your form for any shot… seek consistency in whatever style of shooting/form works for you.  

To me, traditional shooting and each style is personal.  Each person is different.  Olympic shooting is a bit more regimented(???).    Short arms, long bodies, big or small hands, small head with big ears or elongated heads with a wide jaw, short or long draw, a woman’s arm angle or chest size, anchoring high or low... find out what works for you, and then trust yourself.  Trust your style of shooting and have fun.  

And if you find you want to change this or that later... do it!

David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline pernluc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
If it works for you then it works for you.
Afterall what is life without  a little salt! Life English!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©