Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: instinctive vs aim  (Read 1901 times)

Offline kmunch

• Trad Bowhunter
instinctive vs aim
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Who is an instinctive shooter vs aiming? I thought i was instinctive but when I am at full draw I do notice my arrow and where its pointed so what does that make me?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: instinctive vs aim
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
You will probably find as many different definitions of instinctive shooting as you find different shooters.  My definition is that it doesn't matter if you notice the arrow, what matters is if you consciously use the arrow tip to aim the shot.  How could you not notice the arrow if you are shooting at your point-on distance and the arrow tip is right on your target?  Does that mean that no instinctive shooters can ever shoot at their point-on distance?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 01:53:00 AM »
I use them all depending on the shooting scenario, for example Instinct wouldn't work well on an 80 yard Field shot so I use POA method and leave the instinct for short range\\moving shots.

They ALL work it's just finding the right aiming method to suit your shooting requirements.   :)

Offline Gunnar Mullins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:44:00 AM »
I agree with Zeta.. I shoot instinctive when its more hunting or close target range, but I am if its longer field shots.
I'd rather hold a recurve than shoot a compound

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
Kmunch that makes you an archer. If it works why worry about what it is, use it.  :thumbsup:   I practice out to 30yds. and all of my focus is on the spot where I want the arrow to hit, that is what concerns me the most. Don't need to call it anything.  :archer:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Instinctive IS aiming...

There are 'conscious' aiming methods(Gap, Gun Barreling, split vision, Face Walking, Sight pins, etc...) .....and a 'subconscious' method ( instinctive)

Whether you are consciously or subconsciously aiming, you are aiming either way.

Find the one that works for you...OR, the one that you enjoy the best.  Make sure you are having fun 1st and formost.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by zetabow:
I use them all depending on the shooting scenario, for example Instinct wouldn't work well on an 80 yard Field shot so I use POA method and leave the instinct for short range\\moving shots.

They ALL work it's just finding the right aiming method to suit your shooting requirements.    :)  
I do the same thing.
Out to my POA which is 40 yards I'm I guess instinctive because I really don't see the arrow till it has left the bow & into the target but beyond 40 yards I am working on POA.
I am OK but not great out to about 60 yards using POA method but beyond that I'm still working on my shot.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
The dirty little secret is we all see our arrows to some degree or another.  Whether it's in your peripheral vision like instinctive shooters or more in focus like a gap shooter or a combination of both.  Don't try to label yourself, just try to hit your target.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
Ive seen a 2'' glow in the dark plastic disc shot in a pitch black range at 20yrds and the previous shots were with in a 9'' circle.we had tried a candle but it put off to much light you could still see the shaft.

Offline Junction hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Instinctive shooting still requires aiming. The aiming starts at the beginning of the shot sequence and continues through the follow through. Instinctive just uses a fluid motion vs. pausing at full draw.

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Well said Terry.

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
the only aiming you do while shooting instinctively REALLY instinctive! is with your eyes aimed right at were you want to hit you dont look at the arrow you dont look at your bow you look were you want that arrow to hit.

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
i have a problem picking a spot. i need to figure out away to focus more. any ideas?
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tyler2045:
i have a problem picking a spot. i need to figure out away to focus more. any ideas?
Visualize the arrow going into the spot you want to hit, powerful tool the brain.

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 02:53:00 AM »
I thought I shot purely instinctively. However, when I draw back and there is a piece of debris or something on the tip of my arrow I notice it immediately. I have come to realize that my eye and brain know where the arrow is pointing and use it to align both the horizontal and vertical planes for a shot. We all aim. Some just aim better than others.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
Terry, you beat me to it. Instinctive IS aiming.

Late one afternoon I was shooting two judo arrows at cans in the back yard. One arrow was light colored and the other was stained dark. As the light failed, I began to hit much better with the light colored arrow, and that little light went off in my brain. Although I wasn't consciously aiming with the arrow, obviously I was doing just that.

Since then, ALL of my hunting arrows (well, except for turkey arrows) are light in color, because most shots come at low light times.

That's not to say that I have to see the arrow to shoot well. Another day, while shooting inside the arrow shaft plant, there was a power failure just after I had made my first shot of a series at 20 yards. On a whim, I kept shooting (no one else was there), even though there was no light at all. I could hear the arrows hitting the target, but couldn't see anything but the image left in my mind when the lights went out. When the power came back on, all of my arrows were grouped with the first one.

Like zetabow said, powerful tool the brain.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 06:48:00 AM »
For the most part the Brain doesn't see everything because it just too much information to process so it's not that difficult not to see the arrow if you so wish, subconsciously EVERYBODY sees the arrow but we have that conscious choice not to.

To shoot 50 yards instinctively I would maybe put two out of four in score zone, using Gap it's four out of four and not hard for me to decide whats best, under 20y the Gap is so big it's easier just to use instinct. (I have a 65y point on)

-----------------
IFAA World\\European Field Champ, Fita 3D World Champ

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
A great deal of very interesting and informative info in this thread. You just never know which way that something is said will be the very way that "clicks" with you (and turns that little light on - LOL)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
Due to the Gaps in my form, I Instinctively Aim poorly.
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
If you are running on instinct, you are shooting good and then one day you notice your arrow don't let it bother you. If you are not happy with your shooting, let it help you.  But don't stare at it, they don't listen to you if you stare at them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©