Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: instinctive vs aim  (Read 1903 times)

Offline SpencerL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: instinctive vs aim
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
When I stare at my arrow point (For Gapping)I just tend to drift to the right (LH shooter). Is this typical?

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
I thought I was shooting instinctive until I watched Mr. Welch video.  I then began to stare at the target and my shooting improved.  The video that shows the sight picture really did it for me.  If I begin to drift back I think back to the sight picture.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
Terry, another second to that one! Use what works for you and what you enjoy.  I am not very consistent using straight instinctive and if I want to have faith in a 30 yard shot I need a system of aiming that has a reason besides my instinct.  Other peoples instinctive shooting is more reliable then some people using sights so find what works and get out and shoot.

Michael
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 01:38:00 AM »
Instinctive shooting still requires aiming. The aiming starts at the beginning of the shot sequence and continues through the follow through. Instinctive just uses a fluid motion vs. pausing at full draw.
this is called snap shooting . i hold for 3-5 seconds and never take my eyes off the target my point on is about 60yrds close shots to 25yrds are impossible for "me" to gap so i just pick a spot hold and followthrough the shot.yes i can see the shaft in my lower periferal vision it helps with windage.
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
So what your saying is you cant hold the bow back at full draw and still instinct shoot?? there is know aiming when instinct shooting.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cherry Tree:
So what your saying is you cant hold the bow back at full draw and still instinct shoot??
Sure you can hold and shoot instinctive. On targets and animals.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
Yes i know that but what eric-thor says that instinct is a fluid motion vs pausing at full draw. so i thought i would point that out! because there is no reason you cant stop at full draw and still instinct shoot!

Offline sputterman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
Right on Terry, everybody aims somehow. I shoot instinctive i guess sence my subconteous does my aiming for me and i do pause at full draw though. I think of it this way, when you get a drink u dont conteously grab the bottle and unscrew the lid your sub does it for you.
MEAT ON THE TABLE HORNS ON THE WALL!!!

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
Totally instinctive. I tried consciously aiming but it didn't work for me. Now I let my brain call the shots and it has worked out pretty well for me.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
I know with split vision gap shooting, you have to practice it so much that by the time you take your shot it feels almost instinctive.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Aim, gap, gunbarrel , and face walk.

Offline miklvines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by zetabow:

Originally posted by Tyler2045:
i have a problem picking a spot. i need to figure out away to focus more. any ideas?
Visualize the arrow going into the spot you want to hit, powerful tool the brain. [/b]
amazing how that works

Offline miklvines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
I have a problem of just pulling back and letting it fly.  My anchor point is when the base of my thumb touches the corner of my mouth.  From 20 yds and under, I'm great, but over 20, and it's just spray and pray.  I just need to get to the range more to practice POA

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
What is point of aim?

Thanks!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Don't let them tell you you can't pause at anchor and still shoot instinctive.  How long you anchor has no bearing whatsoever on how you aim.  Most keep on pulling through the anchor though but it sure isn't snap shooting.

Point of aim is an old target shooting style where you put your arrow point on an object lower than the target and focus on your arrow point and object rather than your target.  It was popular in the 20s-40s with target archers who anchored on their chins.  The point of aim moves up closer to the bullseye the farther you get from the target until eventually it is on the bullseye.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
Ok thanks reddogge!

Offline Jazzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »
If your arrow is not pointed (aimed) at the spot you want to hit you will not connect. Animals do a lot of things instinctively, but shoot an arrow? I don't shoot instinctively. Dead reckoning maybe. I draw and create a sight picture that looks right for the range based on practice with my bow. The constant variable is that I always point the arrow at the impact point.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
Don't let them tell you you can't pause at anchor and still shoot instinctive.  How long you anchor has no bearing whatsoever on how you aim.  Most keep on pulling through the anchor though but it sure isn't snap shooting.

Yep...exactly!!!...

However I'm a snapshooter as the term was originaly coined.....

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline NJWoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Whenever this topic comes up people get stuck on whether or not they see the arrow as part of the sight picture to describe how they aim.

Of course, everyone DOES see the arrow whether they consciously use it or not. A more important distinction is whether range estimation is used as part of the aiming system.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by NJWoodsman:
Of course, everyone DOES see the arrow whether they consciously use it or not. A more important distinction is whether range estimation is used as part of the aiming system.
Unless you are blindfolded and shooting at an alarm clock.   :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©