Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 569 times)

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions
« on: May 14, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
Ok so first How many people try to shoot both right and left handed bows?

2nd A friend and I were shooting today and I was not hitting any where I was aiming, then I shot at a tennis ball on the ground and hit it at about 15 steps, Then I shot at a soda can at about 26 steps and hit it. Why can I hit small targets and not big targets?

3rd If I snap shoot, I normally shoot a lot better, which for me means I swing into the target and release when i see my spot. My form of tunnel vision?
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
I tried to learn to shoot left-handed, for sitting shots from a tree stand. It just messed me up both ways, and I gave up. Others have had better success.

Aim small, miss small. Focus, pick a spot. Sounds like you're not picking a spot on a big target. I frequently shoot at arrow holes in the target to get my aiming spot small enough.

If you do better snap shooting, you may be over-bowed. You should be able to hold for a second or three without straining, while you focus on that tiny spot.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Second what Don said on all three answers! It has been my experience to,  that I can hit the small stuff and miss with exceeding accuracy on anything the size of a deer or other commonly hunted animals   :knothead:   And in the heat of the moment aiming small appears to be no where in my thoughts!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
Its funny, I shot 8 or 9 groundhogs last summer, but come deer season, I missed 6 deer!
Bret M. FullER

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
We humans recognize items by silhouette.  If we fail to pick a small spot, we tend to shoot at the entire object and often miss by a hair.  When you shoot at a smaller target you are narrowing your field of view and hence what Don said "aim small, miss small".  That change in focus most often leads to a hit.

You can practice narrowing your focus by looking at an object and then picking out a small blemish or mark inside the silhouette.  You can do this anytime not just when shooting.  Train yourself to identify an object then pick a small mark inside the object.  Learn to concentrate on the small mark to the exclusion of everything else.  This takes practice but can be done.

The clue that you are not "picking a spot" is that you start to have near misses on the object (deer).
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
Ok It seems when I try to focus more I actually focus less. I am only shooting 42 pounds I do not think I am over weighted. I am going to have to start picking a spot and trying not to snap shoot. Thanks for the Info. Guys
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©