Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Getting more distance?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting more distance?
« on: May 14, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
Hello there, I've been back shooting regularly for the past few months (instinctively) and I'm feeling quite confident under 20 yards. I want to get more distance, and I was wondering what's the best approach you use to start shooting farther. Do complete sessions at 25, 30 and 35 on different days, or in the same session move with every 12 arrows downrange? How do you think the brain remembers best? Suggestions? Thanks

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting more distance?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
I tend to start a new archer close & gradually move them further back as their proficiency improves at the last distance.

For instance:
5' Shoot till the archer can hit the X with 12 consecutive arrows.
10' Shoot till the archer can hit the X with 12 consecutive arrows.
20' Shoot till the archer can hit the X with 12 consecutive arrows.
40' Shoot till the archer can hit the X with 12 consecutive arrows.
20Y Shoot till the archer can hit the X with 12 consecutive arrows.
25Y
30Y
35Y
40Y
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
If your form is good move back to about 25-30 yards and shoot a couple sessions from that distance.  Then move to 20, you will be suprised at how close 20 yards seams.  As you get better at 20 yards, move out to 35-40 and do a couple sessions then move to 25.  Again 25 will seem close to you since you have been shooting out at 35 and 40 yards.  You can only do this if your form is good and will help you train your instinctive shooting at different yardage.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
There are two factors involved in learning to shoot instinctively:

1.  Form, including body allignment, learning to draw to full draw and maintain back tension, proper grip and anchor, and a subconscious release.  Form is best learned at close distances so you don't distract yourself with other aspects of the shot.  Once you learn good form, it's just a matter of maintaining the same good form for every shot, whether at 5' or 50 yards.  The only difference between taking a 5' shot and a 50 yard shot is that it's easier to forget good form on the 50 yard shot, since there is so much more to distract you.

2.  Shoot enough arrows at enough different distances that your bow arm instinctively knows where to hold for any given shot.  I like the method taught to me by my mentor, Rick Welch, where you never shoot two arrows at the same target from the same spot, unless you blow a shot and want to correct an obvious mistake in form.

Clearly, my advice is different from the advice given by Eugene above.  Either method might work for different people.  You pays your money and you takes your choice!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
I need to clarify some of what I said.

At the shorter distances less than 40' I suggest 1 arrow into the target but can repeat the shot to the X 12 times, after that distance I work with 3 arrows.

McDaves suggestion is also a good one too, I was taught this way many moons ago & it had worked for me, it or other suggestions may work for you.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Eugene Slagle:
I tend to start a new archer close & gradually move them further back as their proficiency improves at the last distance.

25Y
30Y
35Y
40Y
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Winterhawk1960:

25Y
30Y
35Y
40Y
[/b]
Dang......hit the enter key a bit to soon.

If I shot until I could hit the x on a five spot target 12 times in a row......seriously, I'd NEVER get beyond 20 yards.

I try to vary my yardages......and when shooting indoors it is limited to about 30 yards and under. Outdoors is a different story, unlimited range. What I can tell you is that if you have any flaws in your form......distance only magnifies them.

Winterhawk1960

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »

25Y
30Y
35Y
40Y
[/b]
Dang......hit the enter key a bit to soon.

If I shot until I could hit the x on a five spot target 12 times in a row......seriously, I'd NEVER get beyond 20 yards.

I try to vary my yardages......and when shooting indoors it is limited to about 30 yards and under. Outdoors is a different story, unlimited range. What I can tell you is that if you have any flaws in your form......distance only magnifies them.

Winterhawk1960 [/b]
Trust me, when I was younger in the 80's I was able to do it but now I think I need some one else to hold my bow for me to make 12 X's in a row at nearly any distance.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
I'm with ya......."I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was".

:campfire:  

Winterhawk1960

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Greg here not Larry,  The other day stump shooting/turkey hunting, he kept taking shots that were 40 to 60 yards with a lot of near missed and dead on hits at small targets.  Today in his yard he had me shooting a few honest 6" groups at 24 yards for a while, I have never been able to do that.  He likes to practice longer shots than he would take on game.  Now that my form is better I think I will do the same.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
Sounds good. I'll start stepping back 5 yards at a time. Maybe I'll split my sessions. 20 yds, then 25. When I feel confident I'll do 20 and 30, and so on. Oh, and I always get the occasional flyer. 12 arrows in a row on the X, I'd still be at 5 yards...
Marco

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
Hey McDave, I thought the Welch method was 3 under, and I shoot well with my form, split finger. Am I wrong?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Rick does shoot 3 under, and prefers to teach people to shoot that way.  But if people are already shooting well split fingers and don't want to change, Rick is happy to teach them that way too.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline SpencerL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I'm glad I found this thread and will have to put it into practice. My goal is 6" at anything from 10-30 yds. Does this sound attainable with regular practice?

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Hey Spencer, that's where I want to get... I'm fairly confident it can be done, but form must be well under control.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
I think a regiment of both works best....

Shoot at marked distances 10 yards apart....and shoot a half dozen from ONE spot then pull and move spots.

And also shoot un-known distances....TWO arrows only if the 2nd one is needed.  If you are off by a lot on the 1st arrow distance wise shoot the 2nd arrow and you should be closer in elevation.  If your windage is off that's a form issue or bow/arrow tuning issue.

You need to program your brain for different trajectories and sight pictures for different distances...and that takes lots of arrows.

That would be my advice.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
and great advice it is.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline SpencerL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
I'll be trying that tonight.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
If the rain stops, I'm trying the 2 arrow at different distances. Fewer arrows really make me concentrate. Thank you.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
A good practice game I play is walkiback every 5 yards and take a shot at 40cm target face, rules are simple see how far you get back before you miss, if you miss try for a second time and if miss again go back half the distance i.e. 30y miss go back to 15 yards, the goal is to see how far you can go back.

Shooting like this builds shot stamina, helps keep focus and builds a good mental sight picture for each distance, you can also measure progress as you see yourself beating previous bests as the weeks go by, it's also good fun to play with a buddy.   :)  

-------------------
IFAA World & European champ Fita 3D world champ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©