Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: McDave form video  (Read 1022 times)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
McDave form video
« on: May 21, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
After taking a couple of excellent classes, and about a year for them to settle in, I think I've plateaued, and would welcome any comments about how I might continue to improve.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: McDave form video
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Lookin GOOD!!!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
Congratulations Dave, I think it has come together for you.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Looks like you will cut your finger with a broad head.  :D
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
I noticed my bow-hand finger sticking out too, Tod.  It's interesting the things you do that you don't notice until you're videoed.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
well i personally wouldnt 'cant" the bow and i like to hold my finger up durring the draw than put it down and hold the bow lightly as i release.the real ? is how accurate and consistant are you ?
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
sorry other than those two things your looking good better than most.  :bigsmyl:    :archer2:
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
Thanks for your comments, Eric.  I've tried shooting with the bow canted and with the bow straight, and seem to do best if I hold it at a natural cant.  Even though most of the better shooters hold it upright, I guess I can take some consolation that HH held it canted.  I like your idea about holding my finger up during the draw and then putting it down lightly before shooting - I'll try that.

I'm more "accurate and consistent" than most of the fish in the small pond I swim in, but think I still have a ways to go to reach my potential.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
Looks good to me! just dont ever let it slip away!

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
McDave, It looks like great form/alignment to me.  I've heard you say that you took a lesson from Rick Welch, but notice that you don't hold at anchor for super long.  Any reason?  Also, is the arrow shaft directly under your right eye, i.e. sighting down the shaft?  Just curious because I shoot similar to you (attempt to at least!).
Thanks.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Where do you anchor?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Mike, I'm sure Rick would comment on my hold, which I believe is about 1/2 second, and tell me to hold for the full 2 seconds he recommends.  I noticed in watching this video that my hold time has decreased over time.  Maybe this is something I should work on.  On the other hand, I find it difficult to keep increasing back tension and get a dynamic release with a 2 second hold.  Difficult, but not impossible, so as I said, maybe I should do some more work on this.

I do try to keep the arrow shaft under my right eye, which I believe helps me to shoot where I'm looking.

Gregg, I have a double anchor, which is my thumb knuckle brushing against my earlobe, and my nose touching the back of the cock feather.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
If you attended Rick's school, remember HOLD, HOLD, HOLD.  If I rush my shots, my forms seems to go to pot as well.

Also, I noticed that you shot quite a few arrows, try for 2-3 well placed arrows per sequence and hold that bow arm as steady as you can until the arrow reaches the target.  When I fail to do this, my groups go right every time since I'm a lefty. I couldn't see you shots, so understnad that I'm just guessing here.

It doesn't appear that you are torquing the bow and you seem to have a nice consistent release and good form.  Well done!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
I don't generally shoot as many shots in a row as you see in the video.  My friend who shot the sequence wanted six shots in a row so I could judge my consistency from shot to shot.  In retrospect, perhaps this wasn't the best idea, as shooting six shots in a row may have changed other things, such as my hold time.  But I do appreciate him suggesting the video, as it has been a while since I've seen myself shoot.  When I saw the video, my first thought didn't have anything to do with archery; it was, "How the heck did I get that old?"
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Really?  Usually I'm wondering where my hair is retreating to!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Dave...what I see from the video clip is this....seems your stopping a touch outside of alignment and not really expanding to alignment at release, as mentioned give yourself a little time to expand/aim before release. What might be causing the problem is..it appears you may be stopping at anchor instead of really bringing the drawing elbow around. I recently worked with a guy who was 3rd at the indoor nationals this year....this guys really had all the parts of his shot together, but had a very complicated anchor that too too much time to achieve, which stopped the flow or continuity of his shot and the biggest thing..he stopped pulling while achieving anchor. We changed his anchor a bit and last time we talked his average was up 8 points!
As always when looking at video, camera angles may be deceiving,but some points to look at and check for yourself.
2004 IBO World Champion

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
Thank you, Rod!  I had hoped you would take a look at this video.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
Wow. I thought that was great shooting. What is the exact anchor point you are using McDave?
Thanks
K

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
I use a double anchor, which is my nose against the back of the cock feather, and my thumb knuckle touching my earlobe.  In order to use the nose anchor, you have to move the feathers forward such that the back of the cock feather barely touches your nose when you come to full draw.  That takes a little experimenting, and will vary depending on your face structure, but for me it turned out right if the distance from the valley of the nock to the quill is 2".
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
About the only thing I notice is what someone already said: you don't hold long for a guy who's been to Rick Welch.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©