Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: L eye, right handed  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Mark N

• Trad Bowhunter
L eye, right handed
« on: May 21, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Well, I have a coupla challenges. I'm RH, as explained in subject. But I'm fairly blind in Reye. Very narrow tunnel vision from a type of glaucoma I can't pronounce. I took a couple of dominant eye tests, am now L eye dominant. Should I keep shooting w/right eye? The only benefit I see from this situation is that I concentrate well on a small spot with right eye.(sardonic chuckle.) Convert to Left hand?

Re: L eye, right handed
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
It is easier than most think to change hands.  the hard part for me was to learn to duck the other way with my back quiver when walking through tight brush.

Offline jackthepointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
I have the same problem,right handed but going blind in right eye due to macular degeneration.I switched to left hand to shoot a bow,been shooting trad for about 4 months now.I have fallen in love with trad archery,and I do try to shoot righty on occasion,but it feels weird.Its feels like I've been a lefty all my life.It was an easy switch for me

Offline highelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
I have a difference as well.
I shoot left handed and everything else right.
I have found that it is just a matter of practice to get to shooting decent while shooting cross dominant.
I can, now after shooting since november of Last year, shoot better than I did right handed after 2 years of shooting with a right handed bow. there are bound to be different opinions on this, but i can tell you that if you stay the course you will get the swing of it.
ENJOY is the most important thing...
Chad
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."~Fred Bear~

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 03:32:00 AM »
I'm left eye dominate but right handed.
I switched from shooting right handed to shooting left handed about 10 years ago,,it took one weekend of practice to become as accurate as I had been right handed.
I did shoot well right handed but I always had to stay aware that in heat of the moment situations my left eye could very easily take over resulting in my shooting hard left of where I wanted.
It was mainly for that reason I finaly made the switch,and today I shoot better than I ever have.
The actual switch was very easy, but I will admit that I'm a lot more adaptable to diffrent situations and to change than most people would seem to be.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Im right handed and i shot for along time right handed but then i found out that im left eye dominate and i did the switch and im alot better so i would say.Yes make the switch!

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Learn to do it right.  You'll never be sorry.
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
I have a brother-in-law that is an orthopedic surgeon.  He is right handed in all things, including scalpel, writing, batting, basketball, etc.  He tried shooting a bow right-handed but didn't feel comfortable.  He tried shooting left-handed and shoots a bow much better left-handed.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 06:52:00 AM »
I'm the same R-handed, L-eyed. Couldn't get comfortable on the right side, but as soon as I tried lefty, felt great. Well not totally. The hardest part for me was getting an arrow out of the quiver and nocked. It's tough to do those little things with a non dominant hand. But once the arrow is on there, it's really good. I didn't do it quite right, but soon will. Get a lighter wt. bow to start, that will make the switch easier. Seems a lot to learn after so much time on the other side. The little things come with practice. Nock an arrow 1000 times and it starts to feel OK. After less than a year I can't even think about pulling righty.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline AzTBH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
I agree with the above posts.  The switch to LH is not difficult at all.  The hardest part, as Hopewell Tom describes, is getting the arrow out of the quiver and nocked.  But, after a little practice it becomes as natural as your RH technique.

Good Shooting
Ross
Good Hunting
Ross

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
Just as Hopewell Tom and AxTBH just said, it's really not that difficult to switch (and I can't even use a fork left handed).  The only tough part is getting the dexterity down in you left hand to nock the arrow.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Jonathan's right.  You feel about as coordinated as if you were wearing boxing gloves trying to nock an arrow for a while, but that too passes.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gilbarbarian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
I am trying to switch to lefty as well.  It does feel better shooting until the string hits my arm.  any advice?  I have a brace on but the string hits on the elbow.  From what I've been reading, I should go to a lower weight bow to I get the proper form and strength.  Jeff

Offline inthere10x

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
I going to have my son try to switch to left handed. He always had a issues w/ shooting to the left. Then recently he was showing a friend how to determine eye, as I watched, I saw him four times in a row pull his hand to his left eye as he held his hand in a diamond shape.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
gilbarbarian - I was having string slap on occasion and I adjusted my bow hand and - gone. Maybe that will help, I forget what made me start looking at my bow grip, but just studying my placement and fooling around until the bow felt better. The first 3 shot group shrunk noticeably and that's my new grip. No string slap either.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
I am a lefty.  I was also cross eye dominant, but I trained myself to be left eye.  It can be done.

And it made sense.  A few thousand dollars worth of left handed bows and even more thousands of dollars invested in guns... all left handed.  Plus I only had to change one thing, my eye dominance, rather than relearn to shoot guns and bows.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ammobooger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
"I am a lefty. I was also cross eye dominant, but I trained myself to be left eye. It can be done."

If you don't mind my asking, how would one go about changing from one dominant eye to the other?  I too am left-eye dominant and right-handed.

Offline amazonjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
I can shoot both, but left eye dominant, with my right eye I have to be more aware of where I am pointing my arrow.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
I'm right handed but left eye dominant. Was taught to shoot left handed from the beginning and never looked back. BUT my left eye-dominance is marginal: I see 2 almost equal arrows, I had to learn to discard the left arrow image and pay attention to the right one or I'll shoot hard right of target. Sometimes barely squinting with my right eye is necessary.
Marco

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
I am right handed and left eye dominant....shoot with both eyes open and do fairly well....I have thought about trying to shoot lefty, but keep chickening out....
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©