Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: L eye, right handed  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: L eye, right handed
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by ammobooger:
"I am a lefty. I was also cross eye dominant, but I trained myself to be left eye. It can be done."

If you don't mind my asking, how would one go about changing from one dominant eye to the other?  I too am left-eye dominant and right-handed.
I can only tell you what worked for me.

I started by working with a shotgun.  I took a small piece of scotch tape and put it on the right lens of my shooting glasses.  That helped me ingore what I saw thru my right eye and get used to using my left.

Then I started doing the dominant eye test (look at a distant object, raise your arm with finger pointed up) and concentrated on identifying the predominant image with my left eye.

Kind of hard to explain that last bit.  But I think it more a mental exercise than anything.

After some time, my left eye just took over.

I know that's probably not the best explanation, so if you have specific questions just ask here or PM me.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
Mark,
Do you shoot purely instinctive or do you use a gap/point of aim type system?  If you shoot instinctive you should be fine staying with your current setup (right-handed bow).  If you shoot gap/point of aim style you can do it right-handed with a left dominant eye, however, if the transition is not too difficult I think you might be better off switching sides.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
M son is the most messed up child ever. I believe he's supposed to be left handed. In elementary school, he wrote with both hands. Now, he writes lefty

He started baseball at age 5, and like an idiot I didn't encourage him to bat left and throw right, so he played baseball for 13+ years throws right and bats right. Starting infielder on back to back state champion teams in his Jr. and Sr. year of HS.

He shoots a gun left handed, because when he first picked one up that's how he pointed it. I checked him and he's left eye dominant, so I made him keep shooting guns lefty. He is an excellent shot with a gun. He can shoot a bow righty, but he hasn't shot one much with all the sports he's been into, so I plan to buy him a LH recurve to play with now that his ball days are done.

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
I am right handed but left eye dominant and shoot everything but a handgun left handed. Thankfully, my Dad picked up on this when I was very young and I never had to switch. I have always been a very good wingshot and shooting a trad bow was pretty natural for me.

It seems to me that having my "strong" arm hold the bow helped me shoot better - it makes me focus on drawing with my back. If you ever feel funny, remember that Papa Bear shot from the "wrong" side of the riser too   :)

The only rpoblem I have ever had was growing up shooting right handed guns. I love over and unders & single shots - semi autos throw powder in my right eye. Thankfully that is not a problem with my LB or 'curves!
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
I'm left handed and left eye dominant.  But, when I had to teach a bunch of boy scouts, I did what was done with me.  I said, "do what I do, but do it backward."  

That didn't work well for all the right handed kids.  They'd never been subjected to that before (lucky them).  So, I switched, and closed my left eye.  It was easy and felt natural and didn't take but a few shots to "get it."  I wouldn't stick with that because the advantage of two eyes is pretty great, and that's an advantage which is done away with when you close an eye.  Even an eye that doesn't do well is better than a closed eye.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©