Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting Schools  (Read 740 times)

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting Schools
« on: May 21, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
For any one who has attended a shooting school do you felt like you got your moneys worth? And which one was it?

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting Schools
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
I attended Bob Wesley's "Whispering Pines" Archery School and yes I feel like I got my moneys worth.   My groups are getting tighter every day and I know what I have to do to refine my form.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
I attended one of Rod Jenkins 2 day classes. It has been 4 weeks since class I can see a large improvement in my form and shooting. Shot with one of the guys that got me started in trad he was amazed at my form and arrow   :archer:  flight over my old style.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
I've attended both Rick Welsh's and Rod Jenkins's classes, and highly recommend them both.  They are different enough that very little is repetitive between the classes, and yet both stress the same good fundamental form, so they don't contradict each other, except in minor ways where you can choose what suits you best.

You can find out more about Rick's methods on his forum:

http://theaccuracyfactory.forumotion.net/login.forum?connexion
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline longbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
I attended Rick Welchs school about a year ago and will say it was money well spent.

David

if you have any questions I could answer just send me a PM

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
This is my personal experience at Rick Welch's school. Yep, I videoed it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/W8N4FALL#p/u/13/oWAnc3FjUvw

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
Do a search on shooting schools. Plenty of disscusion lately about different shooting coaches.
Keith Karr

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
I went to Rod Jenkins' class a couple weeks ago.  It was WELL worth the money.  We had 12 people in class and everyone of us shot with a different style.  Rod went thru how we did things and worked with us on how we could improve.  It was excellent and I believe if everyone works on what they did in class, they will be MUCH better shooters.  It was amazing to see the difference just from day 1 to day 2.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
This is Pat Malone, & his experience Yesterday, with Rick Welch.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DAKOTAENTERPRISES#p/u/1/i7eEAMSh2Fo

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
I have only been to Rick Welch's school, a bit over a year ago. It was a bargain except that I liked his bows so much I bought 2 since then with zero regrets. The school was exactly what I needed. His method is really straight forward and repeatable. Shooting better now than when I attended. His students shoot a 20 target 3d round before and after the school. I shot 139 before (which was quite decent for me then) and 183 after the school, which was awesome for me. I did not really think I was capable of shooting that well, particularly with no estimation of yardage for the actual distances shot at various targets. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Above all, I have much greater confidence in making the shot in the woods. Best of luck in your decision!

Offline 71flh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
I just returned from Byron Ferguson's school. It was a very good school, only 4 students with a lot of one on one with Byron. He is very down to earth and friendly. At the end of class we shot aerial targets, something I never thought I would ever be able to do. Lodging and meals were included. It was expensive, but you do get what you paid for.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by anchorman:
For any one who has attended a shooting school do you felt like you got your moneys worth? And which one was it?
One consideration for you. Research any instructor you're considering paying your money to teach you. Find out their qualifications to instruct you how to shoot. You want to make sure the instructor your paying to teach you is actually a better shot than you are. Just some food for thought.

Offline bowbenderman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
Bad to say, shooting for over 40 yrs, an I just attended my first shooting school.  The instructor was Rod Jenkins, yep, I did get my moneys worth, an partly because we had some great food prepared for us!!  Seems a lot , esp me said, this feels wrong or weird on my shooting form. Rod said, I guess so, you have been doing it wrong for a long time!  Dang getting better sure takes a lot of PERFECT practice.  Seems I always really just liked shooting, an not getting any better. I am on Rod's practice program now, just maybe I will get better!

Offline longbowbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
I went to Bob Wesley's Whispering Pines school which is two days one on one.  It was worth every penny.  His tales of Howard Hill, relaxed teaching and willingness to work with you on your goals make for a very enjoyable learning experience.  If your ready for it you will also learn to do arials
Pete Darby

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Top Korean Olympic coach Kim Hyung Tak came to visit Estonia to train their Fita target team.

I was invited along to do Fita coaching part of the course but he also took the time to work with my Longbow form, which greatly interested him, even though he's been one of Korea's top Fita Olympic Coach's his passion is shooting the Korean horn bow and with his help I corrected a couple of form errors and felt he understood my unique requirements for Longbow, came away feeling that I made some very positive form improvements and I was only expecting to improve my own coaching skills.      :)

Offline SkookumDon

• Trad Bowhunter
    • TraditionalArchery.Net
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
I went to one with Tim Strickland (former Olympic coach). Was a good session. Each of these expert coaches seems to have their own system. It was worth while. I would pick one that videotaped you, so you can see firsthand where your form flaws are.

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
I spent a weekend with Len Cardinale a few years ago and learned more about shooting a bow than I dreamed existed.  

It took him about 3 arrows to diagnose my form and laid out a program that I still follow.  Of course it took him the rest of the weekend to explain it to me, but that was because of my ignorance, not his teaching abilities.  :)

It was the best money that I ever spent on archery.

I disagree with those who say that you should go to a coach who shoots better than you do.  You should go to HIS coach.  It's sort of like the old story of the shop with two barbers.  One has a great haircut and the other has a bad haircut.  Which do you choose for your hair.   :)

I think that going to any of the coaches listed above will be money well spent if you want to shoot well.  I've heard good things about all of them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©