Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Bow arm.  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow arm.
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Ok ive heard you guys talk about keeping your bow arm still after the shot well when i shoot my wrist drops a little and my hole arm drops a little and im not sure why ive tryed to hold it still but i cant so if this isnt right on how to shoot then could someone say how to fix it? (ive tryed and it always drops)

Thanks!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow arm.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Cherry Tree,  That's pretty hard to answer without pictures.  The key to what you're asking is FORM!!!! Using the correct muscles and proper bone structure alignment.  A wild generality is that you are using your arm muscles and not using your back properly.  Don't know where in Iowa you are but there are many great shooters in that state -- go out of your way to find a coach to get you going in the right direction.  Good luck.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline NJWoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
I think a Formaster might help with this. If you don't know what it is, it's a simple contraption of an elbow sling and nylon cord that goes on your bowstring. It's primary function is to reinforce using back tension on release, but if your bow arm is dropping or collapsing , it will show you that, too. Without the distraction of shooting an arrow, your movements after the release will become obvious.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Tough to know exactly without a video.

But here are a few bow arm tips.

Push forward directly at the target from the palm. You should be pushing as much with the bow arm as you are pulling with the draw side. Concentrate on pushing from the bow arm palm and push directly at the target (or trajectory of the arrow on long shots), you should feel a stretch on your bow arm and you should feel your triceps tighten. Bow arm side scapula should be forward toward target.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Cherry Tree, I think you are simply trying to see the arrow fly by moving things out of the way. Try blank bale to stop this. Stand 5-6' from your target, start to draw, when reaching 1/2 way close your eyes, continue to your anchor , release and keep perfectly still till the count of 1,2,3 than open eyes and see where bow arm is. Hope it helps!

Offline sputterman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
Cherry tree is it affecting your shot at all? If not dont fix what aint broke. Say the arrow left the bow before your arm drops at all then there is know effect.

The part where you said you dont know why your trying to fix it is what Im refering to. Just didnt want you to be doing something because somebody said it was correct. Everybody has there own correct way to do something.

Just dont drop your arm before the arrow leaves the bow, your arrow in the the target will let you know if its correct or not.
MEAT ON THE TABLE HORNS ON THE WALL!!!

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
It must not do to bad to me since i can hit what im after most of the time but i dont no if this would make me a better shot to change it or not.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
Peeking....or not properly aligned would be my guess.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
I over came dropping my bow arm by griping the bow firmly,,,not conventional wizdom,but it works very well for me.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
This is something I struggle with as well.  If my bow arm is still on target when the arrow hits, it was a good shot.  If not, well you know...

The Masters of the Barebow videos show all sorts of shooting styles, but one commonality among all those top shots is a steady bow arm.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
ok ive tried a few things closeing my eyes looking to see if it dropped and it did tried push toward the target didnt help but it held my rist still but not my arm......so any way on how to really solve this would help alot but i no all dont work for all so i will keep trying different ways but i have to know the way first.

Thanks!

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
For me dropping the bow arm is an effect not a cause.  If I have proper shoulder alignment and keep back tension with the shot the bow arm can't drop because it is pushing forward at the time of the shot (laws of physics - equal and opposite reaction). So I know that if I am dropping my bow arm I need to re-evaluate those other aspects of my form in order to correct it.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Cherry Tree,

I have this same "bow arm" problem that you do. I had the chance to spend some time with Rick Welch last December and his take on the "why" of it for me was.........that I drop my bow arm as a secondary thing to raising my head to "peek" at the arrow in flight.

I have to say, that for me......that is exactly what happens. If I hold my head position on my loosing the arrow, I don't move my bow arm downwards......when I do raise my head, well...you know what happens.

This might, or might not be what your problem is. I just thought that I would throw it out there for some food for thought.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
when i slightly bend at the waist and forward knee my bow arm get better alignment on closer shots and it stays in place . but after seeing my vidio im still working on this from shot to shot. but i know it works for me.
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
I had the same issue because I was trying to watch the arrow.

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
What about the grip? I noticed trad shooter hold the bow with a full grip as supposed to recurve shooter who barely have one or 2 finger wraps around the narrow part of the grip.
Thanks
K

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Well, like sputterman was saying, "If it ain't broke..."  If you can hit what you're aiming at most of the time you must be dropping your bow arm after the arrow is long gone most of the time.  You also say that you drop your bow arm "a little".  How much is a little?  Post a video if you can.  But again, if it ain't broke...
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Targets3D,
Recurves are traditional, not just longbows.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Northwest_Bowhunter:
Targets3D,
Recurves are traditional, not just longbows.
Yes your are right Northwest - I did not phrase this correctly. What I meant was, Olympic recurve archery look like they are holding the both with a very different grip then those shooting a traditional recurve. I am currently transitioning from Olympic recurve to trad and want to know if I should change my grip too.
Thanks
K

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
I've been told that the grip is the same.  You still want the pressure to be on the meet of the thumb so that it's 'transferred' down along the bone.  And, of course, you want have enough of a grip so that your bow doesn't fall out of your hand upon release.  ;)   I think that's my biggest worry: forget that I'm not shooting FITA and that I don't have a finger sling... :/
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©