Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: My release  (Read 596 times)

Offline stickbow2442

• Trad Bowhunter
My release
« on: June 03, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
I have been working on my release now for a few days. I had noticed I was holding most of the weight on my index finger. And the release did not seem as clean as it should be. I remembered reading somewhere about having most of the draw weight on the middle finger. So I worked on that today. I did seem to have a cleaner release that way.
Any input on which finger you use or ideas on a clean release, would be appreciated.
Robert
Michigan Longbow Association
----------------------------

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My release
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Yes 60% middle finger, 30% index, ring finger is along for the ride.

Usually if you just let it happen naturally the correct amount just happens. Remember your fingers are just hooks. I have found that more problems arise from trying to get the correct pressure because additional tension gets added to the fingers when thinking about them. If you do experiment with tension %, alsways remember to transfer the tension to the back while at anchor.

Offline bowbenderman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Just attended a shooting school with Rod Jenkins, he felt my fingers where I have calluses built up. He said , feel my fingers, he had none.  Rod said calluses were from releasing the string wrong.  I guess I have been doing it wrong for over 40 yrs.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
or get master of the bare bow volume 3.
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline SkookumDon

• Trad Bowhunter
    • TraditionalArchery.Net
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
I have found that what feels the most natural and unforced is the best way to go. That way it is easiest to replicate the same form and shot time after time.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
I'm with Bobco.I don't put much pressure at all with the index finger.  :archer2:
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
I wonder how a deep hook with equal pressure on each finger would work?

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
i havent herd  a bad piece of instruction from BoBco yet.   :notworthy:

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
Jim: I have been using a deep hook with a Cavalier cordovan tab for about 6 months now, the deep hook along with the Cavalier tab felt really odd to me at first, it has a metal plate built in to insure perfect string alignment on every draw. I have been shooting better than ever before, my release has become effortless, but beware, most people that shoot that tab don't seem to care for it as I understand, I believe most don't give it enough time to get used to it, it would now feel really wierd for me not to use it, and I know I could never release as good as I do without it. I could be completly wrong, but from what I understand most Olympic shooters use a deep hook, and alot of them use a Cavalier like tab, again I could be wrong on this. DK.
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline kevshin21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
Just wondering how do you do a proper release? do you intentionally let go or let the string overcome your relaxing fingers?

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
Robert, I shoot with a thin tab and middle/ring finger under the nock with my index finger to the side, tip touching the side of the bowstring. The more poundage I can get on to my middle finger and off of my ring finger the more compact and consistent my release is and of course the better the arrow flies to the right spot.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
kevshin21 : you dont do a release . it is a result of proper form to conclusion. yes hand is relaxed just enough to hook the string and when you follow through with back tension the string is gone the hand comes strait back too conclusion.

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
ncsaknech1ydh,

I used homemade tabs for years but am currently using an ACO.  It’s similar to the Cavalier but about 1/3rd the cost--Rod Jenkins turned me on to it.  

I know what you mean about getting used to it.  I used to have calluses, and a ring finger that pained all the time.  An old, excellent archer told me to take a deep hook and to use equal pressure across my fingers--the calluses and pain left in short order.    Not to mention a much cleaner release.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©