Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: "Short Drawitis" SDI  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
"Short Drawitis" SDI
« on: June 03, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
Did anyone read this article by Denny Sturgis?
I've tried everything to cure it, but I can't get rid of it!  It's gotten better, but I want to be cured.
    :help:    

Any suggestions?

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Short Drawitis" SDI
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
Do you feel you are overbowed at all?
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I'm shooting a really comfortable weight right now. I've dropped down 8lbs in bow weight. For me it's mental not physical.
It has to do with my shot sequence and aiming.
I shoot better when I "pre aim" but the "short drawitis" comes into play.  The problem for me with a "pre aim" is that the dang "green light" is always on, which causes me to short draw about 1/2" at times.  I still hit the mark but I want to be in control of the shot at all times.  
If I draw first, then aim, (like a "swing draw")
I can hit my anchor all day, but I am less accurate, and it's too much movement for my style of hunting. I primarily hunt from the ground and shoot from my knees, so I need my bow arm to be set and straight. I'm eye level with my game and only yards away.  I need to cut down on the amount of movement.

Hope this makes sense.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Brutha,

You need to call Rod and invite him for a nice little piggy hunt out there.

All the reading and watching over a lifetime is not going to help as much as a 2 day seminar with Rod.  Trust me.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
I know exactly what you mean bro.  
I tried to bribe him a few times to come here!   :D  
I'll just have to save up and fly there one day soon.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Although I have other form issues, short drawing isn't one of them ( thank the Good Lord). If you want to take a look @ this video OF ME & ONLY ME   :)  ,perhaps you will find it helpful. Nonetheless, I wish you the best of luck in you search for a solution.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
He's got one going in Oregon--that's close!

Offline sputterman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
Haven't had this prob yet wonder if u stood where your elbow would touch the wall when you draw your bow to full draw postion. And repeated it over and over till it was the norm. Maybe clicker or blind bale.

Put my two cents in just ideas might help might not.
MEAT ON THE TABLE HORNS ON THE WALL!!!

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
I'm not sure if this will help, but I just posted on another thread a few minutes ago, after watching the latest Rick Welch DVD I spent a few months standing several feet from a target and then closing my eyes and concentrating on my form, my problem was snap shooting, that I have been doing for 20 years, I would never get to full anchor, now that I have established muscle memory as Rick calls it, I am able to come to full anchor on the target range and hold for several seconds before my realese, I'm not sure if this will help your problem, but it solved mine, and being able to hold at full draw after so many years is a great feeling! Thanks Rick! D.Knecht.
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 03:39:00 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys!  I really appreciate it!  I'll try some of these tips this weekend.

Hey Dave...if I had "pythons" that size, I wouldn't have to worry about anything!    :D  

Oregon hmmmmmm......

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
Ryan,

Pythons, smythons.

I had beed seaching for years to figure out the "back tension" thing. It has been 4 weeks since I went to class; I only added 3/4" to my draw, but I am using my back now and I am so much more solid and feel I could hold my 55@28 bows for hours at 30 1/2.  At the start of class I struggled to draw a 25# bow properly!

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Ryan, the trick is having something more to do AFTER you obtain target(however you do it) Using back tension to expand the draw and a shot conclusion work wonders on the short draw problem. Always remember to shoot the bow with your mind NOT your eyes.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
Rod,

I understand the back tension to expand my draw, but would you mind explaining the shot conclusion or having something to do after I obtain my target.  "the commitment step"

Yesterday I put one target at 20 and one at 25.  I drew at a spot on the 20 yard target, hit anchor, while keeping tension.  While at full draw, I switched my focus to the 25 yard target, aimed, and initiated back tension to pull through the shot.

In the past,I tried to tell myself something at full draw. Like "count to 3", "push..push..pull..pull", I tried "hit, hold, explode", "wait till everything stops"  "yes or no".

I've done all the blank and blind bale stuff, the closed eye stuff.

I've done days of coming to full draw, aiming, tension, then letting down.

I know what a good shot feels like,   I just want to learn how to repeat it every single time under stressful situations.

It doesn't happen all the time, I just want to kick it completely like Denny did.

Thanks!
Ryan

Offline bowbenderman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
WEll, seems to me you have the dreaded disease, TARGET PANIC! Dictionary definition= A sudden overpowering terror.  As I told Rod in the shooting class, my name is Steve, an I have target panic. I am working on Rod's 21 day method now to overcome this problem.  I have never been really in control of the shot, when I think its right upon drawing the bow, I let it fly.  This simply is not the right method of shooting.  With work, I think we can overcome this problem.

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
Ryan

I just got the magazine and read the article.  Thought it was a good one.  The shot sequence along with the exercises that Jay Kidwell had mentioned on here before have helped me.  If you want more info. send me a pm.  "Sometimes wearing a special hat helps too  :goldtooth:  "
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Hey Vince - You mean my sweet look'n state police hat.   :thumbsup:  

Please send the info if you don't mind.

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Ryan- sent you a pm.  Keep the trad. faith and Aloha!

Vince
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
I had the very same problem that I recently kicked.  The only thing that worked for me was a clicker.  I haven't shot this good in years...Mike

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
Hey Vince,
Thanks for the info.  Really appreciate it!

Mike thanks for the tip about the clicker.  Did you use it as a shooting tool and then remove it, or do you hunt and practice with it?

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 04:37:00 AM »
When I began shooting, my draw length was pretty short. Now, I rarely draw shorter than 30", with a maximum of around 32", even though I'm only 5'11". It has helped me to watch videos with people who know how to apply proper back tension. This video in particular, has helped me quite a lot. I know the shooting style is not entirely conventional in this video. Apart from this, notice how he is not very large or muscular, and is still able to draw and hold this heavy bow pretty easily, using the right technique. Especially, take notice of how his elbow movement, and how he is constantly expanding his upper body. Take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDraLdefXnA&feature=channel
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©