Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: ACCURACY  (Read 857 times)

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
ACCURACY
« on: June 03, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
What kind of accuracy should I expect of myself, say at 10, 20 and 30 yards as far as inches accross in my groups? Do you guys have good days and bad? It seems some days I can shoot 8 inches at 20 yards, some days better, some a little worse, but what drives me nuts is the occasional flyers, is that the norm? I know from watching videos alot of guys can hit a penny time and time again, or an asprin out of the air, that is quite a feat!
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ACCURACY
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
I'm happy with 8 inch groups at 20 yards, and if I don't get a flyer in each group I jump up and down.

Good news is I always know if it's gonna be a flyer before it hits the target. I can identify my form mistake as it happens. Usually a bad release.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
We all certainly have our bady days. You may want to consider only shooting one arrow at a time during your practice session.For instance, when hunting, you usually only get one shot. In 3D, if you do that, only the first shot counts.So perhaps if you just did an "experiment" & shot the same arrow 5 times, from 5 different spots, & acted like it is the only shot you get, I wonder how your accuracy would compare to the grouped arrows? If you choose to try it let us know how it works out for you.Best of luck.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
You shouldn't have any expectation of accuracy at any particular distance.  What you should have is an expectation that as you shoot, if you seek out answers to your questions, from time to time you will peel off another layer of the onion and be able to shoot better than you did before.  You should expect to feel joy when that happens.  In the mean time, as you're perched on one layer of the onion and wondering how to get through to the next layer, you should enjoy each shot you take as you watch the flight of the arrow to the target and not worry about it too much.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
McDave, probably the best peice of advice I've read in my years of "lurking" on this site.  Well done, and something we should all remember.  We got into this because it was fun didn't we!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
awsome answer mcdave...  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Yeah....good answer Dave...

And I'll add.....

Get yourself properly aligned, and the left to right issues/fliers will go away....and all you will have to program mentaly is the elevation.

Hopefully that will peel you off a layer.

Have fun....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline crunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
I liked your answer McDave...Archery as a journey or process.
Very true.

I "expect" to hit the target. Helps my focus.

ATB,  crunch

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I've spent the past few days shooting 1 arrow at a time and it does make a difference. I really do enjoy the flight of the arrow, but also feel I need to strive to be the best I can be come hunting season, I think putting the 'only one shot' in my mind definatly makes me concentrate more.

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
I am just happy that I am able to shoot my bow..

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Archery is very similar to golf, good shots and bad shots.  Don't dwell on the bad ones, just think how good the good ones felt.  Don't dwell on your total score but reflect on the many good shots you made that day.  Don't dwell on a busted group but shoot each arrow and enjoy it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
WOW! Someone finally said what I've been thinking all along!  Good answer McDave!
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 04:59:00 AM »
Shooting while forgetting to have fun leaves you in a very dark place - accomplishments don't bring you that much joy and failures make you want to sell your bow.  I've been there and I don't recommend it.  So, always try your best but your main goal is always to have fun!

BUT, to answer the question, someone told me that if I can hit a paper plate more often than not then I should be happy.  The occasional flyer is a lapse in concentration.  Practice leads to good form and focus and few flyers.
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 02:15:00 AM »
I shoot far more accurately if I only shoot one arrow at a time.
I'm also getting the most postive feed back I can.
Shooting groups doesn't do much for me,unless their all shot from different positions.
Not saying there's anything wrong with shooting groups,,,but every good arrow is positive reinforcment,,every flier is negitive and just causes frustration as the shooter (me) becomes tired.
Right now I look at it like there is no form of shooting I do either in competition or hunting where a second arrow is needed unless I fluff the first one,,,so I'm puting every thing into one arrow and then using the walk to get my arrow as time to resettle for the next shot.
In all my on the line or on the hill shooting this what I do for real,,,so I'm just practicing what I play.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
I don't know what kind of groups I shoot because I only shoot one arrow when I practice.  If you are a hunter, I would say that accuracy boils down to a feeling of high confidence that you can make a lethal shot on an animal at a given distance, whether it's 15, 20, 30 yards, etc.  If target/3D is your goal, you have to practice with the idea of being able to hit whatever the allowable scoring area might be, but I would say that 8" at 20 on a consistent basis is pretty good, and better than many I have seen.  Everyone has days when things just don't click, and flyers are going to happen, especially if you are an instinctive shooter.  It took me years to achieve any real consistency with a recurve, and I was a top level shot with a compound.  Consistency for me didn't come until I finally wised up about what kind of bow weight I could shoot with control.  Just don't get frustrated if you can't shoot like Ricky Welch; very few can.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
I would say that for me personally, a lot of it has to do with confidence and focus on the target. If I'm nailing the bullseye one arrow after another, I tend to keep shooting good, because I have the confidence that my next arrow will be there, and I can focus on the target. However, on my off days (yesterday for instance) I'll start to get an occasional flyer, and then I start second guessing my form and trying to change whatever's wrong and quit focusing on the target, it's a crap shoot. I either have to go and blank bale for the rest of my session, or put my bow up and try again tomorrow.

I've also found that shooting 3-4 arrow groups has helped me alot more than 6-8 arrow groups.

BTW, for me personally, 6-8 in. groups are good.

I shot a 3 in group once, it just wasn't on the bull...  "[dntthnk]"

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Thanks for all the feed back, it has been a week now since waiting4fall gave me the thought that I see more of you have in shooting and retreving 1 arrow at a time, and it has done wonders for my flyers, I have had about 5 the past week, where I would always have 1 or 2 each session, I shoot around 25 arrows every morn and 25 arrows every night. I have always enjoyed my shooting, and watching the arrows fly, its the two times of the day I can really relax, the peeling off of layers is a great thought, and I feel I have done just that with all of the positive feed back and ideas I recieved. Thanks Much everyone, what a great site this is to share and learn from others.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
Cool answer McDave!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline The Butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
I shoot what I'll say is very well to 20 yds.  Most days, can stay in a 3" circle.  Don't do much practicing beyond that, as it goes to the dogs "at least for me" beyond 25 yds.  I took up the sport, because it was a close range sport. My limit is 25 yds, but like the shots around 12-18 yds the best.
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean.  It's perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands.  It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.  -  John Wayne

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
For me,(and this happened yesterday) if my group spreads out left and right, it is form as Terry said. Then I know I'm not getting my back tension working. When I concentrate on "squeesing an egg between my shoulder blades" my left and right issues go away. I hope this helps you.
Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©