Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: An important shooting tip that Rick Welch taught me.  (Read 547 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
An important shooting tip that Rick Welch taught me.
« on: June 08, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
I took shooting lessons from Rick Welch in 2006.  To say he changed my shooting style for the better would be an understatement.  However, old habits often die hard, and lately I have been in a bit of a slump.  It seems that I was doing everything right, but was having left to right issues which to me is often an indicator of collapsing before the shot.  I thought about it for the last week or so, while shooting in the yard.  I have been going over my shot sequence in my head for a while, trying to figure out what suddenly went wrong.  Tonight it dawned on me.  I was putting so much emphasis on achieving back tension that I was actually hurting myself.  One of the things that Rick taught me was before the shot to relax.  By that he meant to totally relax all of your upper body muscles.  Now..when you draw your bow...you only use the muscles absolutely necessary to do so, and leave the other muscles limp.  When you hook the sting with your drawing hand, you leave it there, and pretend that you are drawing your bow with a string that is attached to your elbow.  It sounds easy to do, and many people think they are doing it..when in fact they are not.  Trust me..if you do these things..you cannot help but have good back tension.  Also, as weird as it seems, the less muscle you are using, the easier it is to keep your bow at full draw, and the easier it is to keep it steady.  Think about it.  If you tense all of your muscles in your upper body before you draw...each muscle is fighting each other.  Use the lowest number of muscles as possible.  This will ensure that your back does the work.  Your left to right problems will decrease immediately.    Tonight I felt kinda dumb...because Rick told me this years ago, but it seems that recently I let it slip my memory, and it worked itself out of my shooting habits.  Now I have to releard it to get back to normal, but I think it will be much easier to learn the second time around.  Basically, what I am saying is use the least number of muscles as possible when drawing the bow...make it feel effortless, and it will.  Your shooting will improve.  It's funny how I learn things, but then somethimes replace the things I am doing right with a bad habit!

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: An important shooting tip that Rick Welch taught me.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 02:08:00 AM »
When I was learning Aikido this was one of the first lessons we learnt, to have full potential of your muscle strength you must first be relaxed, something I keep in mind during those pressure moments during a tourney, I can always tell when I'm not relaxed the bow feels a good 5# heavier lol

When I first pick up the bow for tourney\\practice I go through what I call a pre flight check, I consciously go through every part of my shot sequence for the first few doz shots, once I'm happy I can push the shot sequence back into the subconscious and really focus on aiming.   :thumbsup:

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
Jon, a quick question: if a guy shoots split, how does Rick deal with the "feather to the nose" part of the double anchor?  I don't see any way to do it shooting split, unless you moved the anchor way up the face, making it very hard to get a clean release.  Was anyone shooting split when you were there?  Thanks, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
TTT for a great reminder.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 06:30:00 AM »
Thanks - I needed that!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
Proper alignment and bone on bone placement will help reduce muscle tension at full draw.lessening the affects of felt draw weight.

Offline Retnuh Wob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
I took Ricks class as well, and I think you are correct about relaxing all muscles not necessary for the shot. Rick has taught himself to do it and that is why he is such a fantastic shot.  If you watch the videos of him shooting, look at his elbow. it stays completely stationary throughout the complete shot sequence once he comes to full draw. His hand or sometimes his whole forearm will flop out at the release, but his elbow does not move. He has a perfect dead release.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
I took Rick's class, great reminder.  I do a rotational draw and my elbow to my anchor is totally loose. My deal is I was torqueing the bow a little with my grip. Subconsciously I was afraid of my bow leaveing  my hand. I tied a little piece of para cord around my riser. I put my Hand through the para cord and do a twist before I grip the bow. I shoot my pro hunter the best I ever had.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline kirkbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 01:54:00 AM »
thanks

great lesson!

kirk
Thumbring shooter seeking fellow students

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." Henry David Thoreau

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
Yes I agree but I think it has more to do with using the right muscles in the first place. If you use the right muscles and engage them from the pre draw position you end up "holding" the weight correctly and have less chance of using the wrong muscles which has the effect of increasing the anxiety in the shot. What I do is when I am at the pre draw position I begin contracting the muscles I am going to use, this way I can focus on those muscles during the draw. As a result when I am at full draw I do not have any tension in my hands, arms or shoulders that would distract me me from making my shot.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline mellonhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Diamond Paul:
Jon, a quick question: if a guy shoots split, how does Rick deal with the "feather to the nose" part of the double anchor?  I don't see any way to do it shooting split, unless you moved the anchor way up the face, making it very hard to get a clean release.  Was anyone shooting split when you were there?  Thanks, Paul.
I shoot cock feather in and split finger.  My nose touches the top feather when I do this.  Hope it helps.

Toby

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©