Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Cavalier Elite tab  (Read 1099 times)

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
Cavalier Elite tab
« on: June 09, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Does anyone out there use the Cavalier Elite tab? I have been using it since the close of last hunting season last fall with great success.

It gives me perfect string alignment and thumb position on every draw, although it only works with a deep hook (second finger joint) which has given me know problems what so ever.

I thought the deep hook might cause me to hang up on the string from time to time, but in fact, it is just the oposite, that used to be a problem once in awhile using other tabs that I know longer have.

It also enabled me to increase my draw length by about an inch. It felt wierd at first, but now I feel I have better control of my draw hand and realese then ever before.

Just wanted to get some other's thoughts on the tab both good and bad.
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cavalier Elite tab
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
I don't know if this matters much, the tab is made for split finger or you can shoot 3  under, at the time I switched to this tab I also went to 3 under, which I still shoot, and love it!

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
I have that same tab but usually use a glove so that I can anchor middle finger to the corner of my mouth?  How do you anchor?  I've tried it this way a couple of times with the tab and I'm not sure I can get a hang of it.
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
I have and use a Cavalier but....  I don't like the thumb rest -- doesn't let me get the string hand on my face and puts the thumb in an unnatural position -- so I took it off.  I have a hard time having the solid plate in my hand, it seems to interfere with everything I try to do with that hand -- writing, pulling arrows, EVERYTHING.  For just the shooting it is fine, I have the genuine shell cordovan the greatest material ever!  My usual tab is shell cordovan, the old three finger style that has the same advantages of the Cavalier without the loss of dexterity in the string hand.  I can use a glove style but again I find the loss of use of the string fingers to be distracting and irritating.  With my tab, my fingers and hand have all the feel of my bare skin without interference.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
By the way, no finger splitters either.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
I tried anchoring to my ear and tipping my hand in 'Rick Welch' style, again starting late last fall after hunting season, but I where glasses, and I could not do it without my rims hitting. I now anchor my thumb knuckle to the very back of my jaw bone, that lowers it about 1 1/2 inches from the ear lobe where the 'Welch' DVD tries to have you anchor, and then the fletching touches my lip for a 2 point anchor.

I used to anchor my middle finger to the corner of my mouth, but where I now anchor along with the deep hook gives me another 3 inches of draw length and it insures that I am better aligned and using the correct back tension, or expansion or what ever you want to call it. It has greatly approved my accuracy and made me much more conistant.

I didn't like the thumb piece at first either, but keeping my thumb in the same place each time while using my thumb knuckle to anchor works great. And after the first few months of using the tab with the thumb piece in place it felt really good, and would now feel wierd to not use it. Again, the tab also gives me perfect string alignment on each shot in my opinion.

You are right, it is hard to do anything else with that hand while it is on, such as climing into a stand, or writing.

I have used tabs for years, but when I first started years ago I can remember trying a Glove or fingers, and can remember the tighter fit on my string fingers would make my fingers get numb from the cold (I hunt alot of sub zero weather in South Dakota.)

That is the one worry I have about the aluminum piece on the Cavalier tab is how cold it might make my hand once that aluminum piece cools down during cold weather, I guess we will have to see!

It seems we solve one problem just to create two others, LOL! D.Knecht.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
I use a four point anchor and I too wear glasses.  Point 1 middle finger in the corner of the mouth, point 2 "C" of the thumb and forefinger cupped on the jaw, point 3 index finger on the cheek bone, and point 4 the string on the front of the glasses lens (eye brow if you don't wear glasses).

I'd suggest that if you're getting interference from the string on the rim of your glasses, you're drawing too far to the side of your face and not getting the rear of the arrow under your eye.  Would have to see you shoot.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
I tried one when I was experimenting with tabs, but I just can't get comfortable with a tab.  As tabs go, they are very good, though.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
I switched to one of those tabs last summer,they work great for 3 fingers under,
Independent Bow Hunter

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I like the Cav when shooting 3 under.  For me it gives consistent string alignment and a nice clean release.
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
I purchased a Cavalier Elite tab, shot alot with it, but just did not like it. Went back to my old cordovan tab.

Offline Big Fisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
A Bateman is much easier for me.  I shoot split

Offline NJWoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
I get a cleaner, more consistent release with my Cav Elite. Only problem I've had is the set screws loosening up. Occasionally my ring finger will get a little tender- that's a sign I'm keeping too much tension in my fingers. I have no problem hooking by the first finger joint. I anchor thumb under jaw and eye tooth with index finger. I don't use the thumb rest.

Offline d from phx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Was given one to try, It just did not feel right for me. I went back to my old favorite the Black Widoew that I have used for the last 37 years,

Offline SkookumDon

• Trad Bowhunter
    • TraditionalArchery.Net
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
I've used nothing but the Cavalier Elite for the past 10 years, except when hunting then I use a glove - too hard to get the fingers on the string at a moments notice when hunting with a tab.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
I shoot and hunt with one and love it , for all those that don"t like them . Please send them to me    :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
I really like how the Cavalier places your fingers on the string exactly the same for each shot...one less variable for me!  

I do not like how it is always clunking into things.

I did not like how it was laying on my face, but I fixed that with a chop saw   ;)  

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
I also use the thumb piece on mine as one of my anchors is with my thumb knuckle to the back of my jaw and it insures that my thumb is in the exact same position on each shot.

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
I've been shooting with one for a couple years now, and I really like it.  But as others have mentioned, it is more difficult for me to find a comfortable anchor.  Not sure if its the deeper hook or just this tab.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline brinkwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
I have been a glove shooter most my life but tired of buying new gloves, so now going to a tab. With the gloves about the time you broke them in they were just about wore out. I just ordered a Soma Tab and will be looking forward to seeing how I shoot with it. As for the glasses hitting the string deal, I use a small frame pair (what I call John Lennon glasses) for shooting and a regular frame all the rest of the time. The string just clears these small frames where as it would hit the bottom of my others.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©