Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: changing 3 under to Split was hard  (Read 435 times)

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
changing 3 under to Split was hard
« on: June 11, 2010, 02:37:00 AM »
I spent all last winter pefecting 3 under for my Recurve shooting only to find Fita 3D rules changed this year only allowing Split Finger, when I tried to change it felt just horrible and aiming was all over the place, I shoot Longbow Split and this feels natural, so I changed back to Longbow. Last week I decided to pick up the Recurve again and try Split, after shooting the Longbow for a few months it was easier to adjust to Split with the Recurve, shooting 3 under was much easier to aim and had a 60y point on with my 320g Carbon Express 150's (Pinnacle with 48# Winex limbs) it's something like 75y now with split.

I shot a tourney last weekend, I struggled with first 10 targets, I think mainly because two of us built the 28 target 3D course that morning and I just had no practice or muscle memory for the bow after carrying 3D's up/down hills all morning, once I settled I really started to nail the targets and came away very pleased that I adjusted to Split this time around.

Me shooting 26-27y beaver in bottom left of pic, then the Bear shot at around 55y

One of the Longbows very pleased with his shot, my carbons are in pic also, bunny was around 23-24y by the way it's an IFAA 2 shot 3D round, great course and very arrow friendly for the longbows   :D

Offline The Butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: changing 3 under to Split was hard
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
nice shooting.  i shot a 3d course, first one in 15 yrs, yesterday, and was very pleased.  had to hear one of my compound buddys whine about the yardage advantage (they shoot red stakes, we shoot white) on average about an 8 yd move up.  I offered to switch him bows, and laid some money down, but he would not take the bet.
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean.  It's perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands.  It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.  -  John Wayne

Offline ren sarns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
What was the reason for them to only allow split finger?  If the NFAA does that I am screwed... LOL  Tried it today when someone asked me why I shot 3 under,  felt wierd going back to split.  Not sure I would be very effective for awhile.
WSAA/TBW/NFAA

NAVY MCPO - RETIRED

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 02:50:00 AM »
I'm guessing they wanted to move Trad Recurve style a little further away from Barebow style.

They did the same to Longbow but I noticed 3/4 were already shooting Split in this division and didn't seem an isssue

IFAA Bowhunter Recurve shooters could have shot Fita Trad with very little adjustment now I doubt any will be interested in fita 3D, I cant see this rule change helping the growth of fita 3D.

All I know it was VERY hard to change back to Split, after this years Fita Europeans I will switch back and just focus on IFAA rounds and 3 under.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
I've been shooting split finger for a long time & once a fellow archer asked me to try 3 under.
Man that was the hardest thing I had ever done with my shooting & told myself that I'll stick to Split for ever.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©