Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Collapsing  (Read 711 times)

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
Collapsing
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »
Hi Folks. I noticed my grouping was consistently moving down throughout the shooting session. I figured I may be getting tired and creeping. I looked in the mirror to check form and realized that I after full draw by bow arm shoulder is moving back and draw arm shoulder moving forward almost collapsing me. I think I am overbowed by a few pounds but no option to get a lighter bow. Any suggestions?

Will try to get a video taken and post.
Thanks
K

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Collapsing
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
I also shoot split finger (RH) and notice I am developing blister/callouses on the inside of my index finger (facing the middle finger). Any reason for that?
Thanks
K

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 07:03:00 AM »
Do this excercise with a Formaster and practice drawing and releasing with it also. I doubt you will collapse after that. The excercise will make you bow strong and make sure you are using your back muscles more. The practice with the Formaster will make sure you use back tension. You find out real fast if you aren't using back tension. It helped me dramatically.  

http://www.texasarchery.org/Documents/FMaster/formaster_exercises.htm  

Good luck
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
Thanks Gil. I have been think about buying one. I think I will order me one and see I how do.
Thanks
K

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by targets3D:
I also shoot split finger (RH) and notice I am developing blister/callouses on the inside of my index finger (facing the middle finger). Any reason for that?
It is the pressure of the nock downward on your finger that is causing this. I had this problem and couldn't for the life of me eliminate it until I purchased one of the Cavelier Elite finger tabs. It has a spacer between the first and second finger that doesn't allow that to happen......but still after a while makes your finger sore.

I feel that.....draw length and bow length also contribute to the sore finger. Since, I have switched to three under and the problem has gone away.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
I got mine through Lancaster Archery. I used their measuring system and bought a large, but it was too small. I sold it and got a XL.

I had tennis elbow in my drawing arm and a torn rotator cuff in my bow arm. I was going to drop down in weight from 60 to the mid 40s.

Practicing with the Formaster eliminated my tennis elbow in my drawing arm. I guess I was using a lot of forearm instead of my back muscles. It also improved my release and form dramatically.

Exercising with it strengthened my shoulder and back muscles. I am shooting my 60# bow like a 40# and workout with a cheap 65# longbow I bought. I have 71# bows that I can shoot with no problem now too, but 60# is my favorite.  

Good luck I don't think you will make a mistake with one. In Masters of the Barebow III Rod Jenkins demonstrates it and there is a YouTube video also.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
Interesting info there Gil, Im going to give Lancaster a call my self. i shoot and practice alone 99% of the time, so Im always looking for ways to check my on form, back tension, etc. thanks, Shane
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Hi Shane its been a long time. I remember talking to you about the tennis elbow and my shoulder. I tried everything for my tennis elbow and when I started using the Formaster it went away.

I remember you wanted to shoot heavier bows. I bought a cheap Martin ML10 longbow as an excercize bow. You ought to try the excercize in the link I posted. I am back up to 70# bows.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 02:28:00 AM »
Personally I believe that it builds calouse and character. Take that bow out and shoot a dozen arrows without a guard or tab/glove.
If you decide to shoot more, put on the protection. I do it all the time.
If that sucker is slapping your arm and leaving bruises then we have a problem.
And a leather brace doesn't cure the problem,
only makes you comfortable
You either need to change brace height or form.
I guarantee you will figure it out.   :thumbsup:
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
I just checked the Lancaster site for the Formaster. I am curious as to why no other company has come up with a cheaper version. $40 just looks too much for that contraption (though I gather it is highly effective)
Thanks
K

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
Karl a lot of guys make their own. There isn't that much to it. I think there are some threads out there on how guys made them.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline SkookumDon

• Trad Bowhunter
    • TraditionalArchery.Net
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
Collapsing almost cost me the last state championship I shot. Try and keep your back tension throughout the shot, and follow-through. I don't shoot with a clicker, but pretending to pull the arrow through an imaginary clicker seemed to help me avoid collapsing.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
i whent to good will bought a canvis belt for 99ccents and had some paracord and folded the belt in half and sew'd it with a leather needle and some serving . it works great . looks just as good.total investment less than $2.   :bigsmyl:
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline SLonbow@50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
Try to get a bone on bone Allinment and Pinch your shoulder muscles.You may already Be a bit collapsed at full draw. hope it helps it helped me.

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by SLonbow@50:
Try to get a bone on bone Allinment and Pinch your shoulder muscles.You may already Be a bit collapsed at full draw. hope it helps it helped me.
Thanks SLonbow - how do you achieve bone on bone alignment? I am having trouble picturing it.    :confused:
Thanks
K

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
There's a stickied thread that may help you.  There are some illustrations that may give you a better idea (or may get you thinking about it more and prompt more questions   :D   )...

->  Terry\\'s form-clock  thread
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline SLonbow@50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
What I mean by a bone on bone alinment is when at full draw your elbow,string hand,and bow arm make a straight line,  if you do that your bones will be taking most of the stress and your mucles won't have to work as hard.to do that you will have to come to a cosistint anchor point I like to use  my pointer finger touching my cheek bone and you also have to pinch your shoulder mucles alot, to better understand this I would recomend getting "Masters of the Barebow three" it has some great stuff in it, you can get it on 3riversarchery.com hope this helps.

Offline SLonbow@50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »

Offline SLonbow@50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »

Offline SLonbow@50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »