Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Focus  (Read 542 times)

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Focus
« on: June 12, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Anyone have any good mental tricks or drills to stay focused during shooting, I am a little ADD and it really shows at times during practice.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Focus
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
Hi Northwest: I just found this site last November and have become better than I ever thought I could be thanks to all of the great people here and the vast amount of knowledge. I got the Rick Welch DVD and learned a ton, and I changed to as close as I could to how he shoots, my problem has been over 20 years of very, very severe target panic, I could never get to full anchor and the arrow would be gone, no matter what I tried or what I did, over and over the same thing, then reading on the Rod Jenkins site about never stop pulling until realese and a post by another member led me to I think the most fool proof way of beating target panic,  allowing me to stay at full draw and anchor as long as I need to, usually 2 to 3 seconds, but if I'm deer hunting and a deer steps from behind a tree just as I come to full draw and spots my movement and I need to stay at full draw for 30 seconds I still can, and here is how I do it, I come to full draw and hit my anchor, I now know in my head (and I am the biggest of head cases...HaHa!) that when I hit my anchor it is just a resting place, time to relax for as long as I need to, then when I choose the time to realese I slowly use my back muscles to complete expansion thus drawing my bow another (a guesstimate although I have had my wife watch my realese) 1/4 to 3/4 inch and then the arrow is gone, I then never lower my bow or drop my bow arm in anyway until a second or so after the arrow has hit the target. This combonation of the Welch and Jenkins styles of shooting has been the single most important thing in my being able to break years of snap shooting. If you can hold for 2 to 3 seconds and slow things down, it will help you focus, you can then start concentrating on what you need to in order for you to improve every aspect of your form and shooting ability in my opinion. Also important though is that I did a month or so of blind bale shooting to give me what Rick calls muscle memory and condition all of the muscles used in the art of shooting, I now love shooting as much as I did some 25 years ago before I knew what target panic even was.
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline virginiashadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
NB--I might look at this in a different way than most so bare with me.  Instead of thinking about what you can do to stay focused, think of what shooting your bow can do to help you stay focused.  What I mean is, everything we do in life helps mold us into better people, if we accept the lesson involed with the activity.  Bowhunting has been a wonderful thing for me as I was a hyperactive individual that could not for the life of me slow down to work on the details of anything.  Bowhunting has taught me how to do so, from studying the specs on my bow, to the effort,detail, and attention I put into scouting and preparation prior to the season.

Let your bow and your shooting mold you, so that you gain more patience and focus.  Don't focus on what you can do, just let the lesson come from the experience.

Hope that makes sense from a different perspective.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 02:05:00 AM »
And I agree with you both. At times it is a second and at other times it is up to 30 seconds.
When the shot is THERE, take it.
Never been to school. Keep figuring it would mess me up just like those golf lessons I tried  30 years ago.
When I was a youngster used to play a bit of billiards. Learned a lot of lessons. The best ones were from some of them oldtimers.
Once in awhile, you just have to put a bit of English on it.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline The Butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
I have had trouble for years, getting frustrated, and actually giving up tradtional archery. My practice sessions, turned into "ah, you gotta be kidding me", another broken arrow sessions. I read a few books, one of two of them were on the snap shooting style, by a very well know bowhunter.

That was the worse advice I incorporated to my bow shooting.  I now anchor, hold, and let go on 3.  I can hold longer, but three is usually enough time, for me to be on target.

I switched anchors also.  My anchor now is so very comfortable. Biggest help in my shooting period.  I am now very confident, am shooting better than I ever did, and have put archery into the relaxing catagory.  Getting a solid anchor, lets you concentrate more on the spot you want to hit. Have stress, I shoot my bow.  Fun when your hitting what your aiming at.  Remember, there is no substitute for form.  I've been doing this for 40 years, and still work on form daily.  Good Luck.
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean.  It's perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands.  It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.  -  John Wayne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
Thanks guys!!!
Michael

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I'm a big advocate of blank bag(bale)practice for form. To work ont he mind game of focus I use a 3/4" target dot on apiece of cardboard cut 5" by 5". I start at 5yds. and shoot 3 arrows while concentrating solely on the dot.When all 3 arrows have hit that dot, in a group, I move 2-5 yds. further and begin again. If you get tired or frustated walk away. This I do at least once a week for 20-30 shots. You'll be amazed that within a couple of weeks how much better you will start to see your focus improve. Do not do more than 3x's a week as this is very intensive if done right, and given full attention.   :archer:

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
In addition to the other good advice given, if you're ADD, you have to contend with voices in your head trying to distract your attention to all kinds of things that have nothing to do with the shot you're trying to make.  For that matter, if you're NOT ADD, you have to contend with voices in your head trying to distract your attention to all kinds of things that have nothing to do with the shot you're trying to make.

There is only one way I have found to shut up the voices, and that is to concentrate on my breathing.  Slow your breathing down, so you are taking deep, slow, regular breaths.  Focus your attention on your breathing.  Trying to NOT to focus on something doesn't work.  Focusing on something other than the voices works.  Maybe you could focus on your big toe, and it would work just as well.  But for me, it works to focus on my breathing.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
Thanks, I will do that...
Michael

Offline 71flh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
Mike,
When I start hearing everything around me, I stop and regroup. I know if I release at that point it will not be the shot I want.
Let me know when you want to go hit KBH, I leave next week for a 2 week job on the east coast. Granson is out this week, we are finishing a Rudder bow and amking arrows for him today.

Ron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
Hey Ron,
This weekend is looking good for me to get down to KBH.  I am getting some parts from Jim at Rudder bows to make some bows for my youngest boys "Robin Hood" birthday party.
Michael

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
Lack of motivation is a big symptom of ADD, which you seem like you do not have. Have you been diagnosed with ADD or just assuming? You may want to see a doctor if you are not already, there is some real good treatments for it.

Like McDave said, breathing (from the diaphragm) is super important. Also work on a pre-shot routine. There was someone here that I saw tap his chest before the shot which seems to work for him. What you want is something that is repeatable that works for you personally. It acts as a switch to prepare you for the shot. During the routine, clear your mind (the best you can entirely), then give yourself some positive cue words; personally, I use the words such as “calm, relax, focus, execute”. This is all part of preparing your mindset before the shot.

Of course you may or may not able to replicate this in a hunting situation, but if gives you a great basis for “perfect practice”.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by BobCo 1965:
You may want to see a doctor if you are not already, there is some real good treatments for it.
No offence intended, I was one of the early ritalin abused kids in the 60's.  I think the best medicine for over coming such things is by working through them.  Doctors have a drug for everything because its their business to, but not all of them are good for you.  I just need to get back to basic practice and focus for my 4 sets of 5 arrows and focus.  I loved the idea of focusing on my breathing, that gives me a place to start.  Once again sorry if I came off rude, I am greatful for all the help.
Michael

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
Of course not, no worries at all.
Keep at it.

Bob

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©