Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Anchor and Release  (Read 1723 times)

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
Anchor and Release
« on: June 15, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
How many of you are like me and when you hit your anchor point, (mine is middle finger in the corner of the mouth) immediately release?  

I have not had any luck with a static release or holding for a while.  I seem to creep up when I hold or draw.  I also get a better release when I pick a spot, draw, anchor and release.  Ken

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anchor and Release
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Ken i don't hold either draw pick a spot and let it go i shoot tighter groups especially at longer ranges!

with my saluki longbow i can shoot 4 to 5" groups at 20 yds consistantly snap shooting,with my first arrow yesterday at 42 yds i drilled the kill zone!

i too have trouble getting off the string after holding and shoot left i know from not pulling thru the shot no apologies here i shoot quick lol
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline inthere10x

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
I pick my spot, draw and hold the anchor for 2 maybe 3 seconds before releasing. I find after shooting alot I do have a tendcy to creep forward slightly.

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
I pick a spot, then when I hit anchor I concentrate on my spot for 2 to 3 seconds, I then slowly complete expansion drawing another 1/2 to 3/4 inch and that triggers my realese, I had very bad target panic for 20 some years, and shooting like that cured me, I am very accurate with this shooting style, I'd say 8 inches @ 25 yards, I shoot 3 under, and have been shooting in this manner for about 6 months, I started by blind bail shooting in my basement over the winter. I learned most of what helped me after finding this site last fall, it has been a real God send! It is great fun once again to be able to shoot without target panic!  :)
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
Draw, anchor and release is pretty much all one motion for me. I anchor the middle finger in the corner of my mouth. I release as soon as I get to anchor.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
All one motion fairly quick like a snap shot or slow snap shots works to about 20 yd. for me, but after that I do more of a very slow draw, anchor short of full draw, and then expand for the shot.  I never really stop, but just make the last part very very slow and about 2-3 seconds.  If I stop and try to start again for the shot I tend to be inconsistent on release follow-through.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Online Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:06:00 AM »
It seems like my anchoring and releasing time is directly proportionate to how far away the target is.  It is not the case on every shot, but for a large majority.  I just know if I try to force it and shoot fast, I generally miss.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 02:33:00 AM »
I draw get everything together and then release..takes about a 3 second hold at least.

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
How quickly you release after hitting anchor is not important.  What is important is going through all the steps of your shot, in order.

Getting something out of order like releasing before completely hitting anchor will mess up your shot.

It's also better to not relax when you hit anchor.  Relaxing results in creeping.  Imagine drawing your bow to anchor as blowing up a balloon.  When you hit anchor, don't let any air out of the balloon.

Some can do this quickly, others need a second or two to get things collected.  Neither is right or wrong, just what works best for you.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
Ken I'm with you amigo!! If I point at a dog in the neighbors yard...I just do it! I don't take extra time to refine my index finger's location. I partially draw a bow and finish the draw with my bow arm fully extended and eyes locked on target, all in one continuous motion...that way when I find anchor, release follows approximately 1/2 second later, This is a very accurate and consistant form of shooting for me. I watched Fred Asbell's video and he does this as well. With bow shooting..it's whatever works best for you...but for me to hold and try and somehow "refine" my aim would definately feel alien to me. I'm already staring right at my target and arm is pointing there accordingly.....if it works....do it.....my opinion.....john
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 02:21:00 AM »
some do well with snap shooting . but i think most of us do well holding a little bit.
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
I do....

Snap Shooting
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by rnharris:

i can shoot 4 to 5" groups at 20 yds consistantly snap shooting

Have you ever shot a 300 round, after 60 arrows this give a pretty good indicator of what kind of groups an Archer can shoot, I can shoot 4" groups if I shot 2 or 3 arrows at 20 yards but 300 round under tourney conditions tells a totally different story about my grouping ability.

Snap shooting seems to work for this short range 3D\\Hunting game but I've yet to see anybody do it with any success in an IFAA 3D\\Field arena where the 3D's are set to 60y and Field targets to 80y

---------------------------------------
IFAA World\\European Field champ, Fita 3D world champ

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
Guys......lets remember, this is a HUNTING site, not target archery.  I've had to 'clean up' several posts.  Also, make sure you read the posting guidlines at the top of the forum.

Also, if you have to slam another method to build up your own....find another forum to post on.  It wont be tolerated here.

Thanks.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Funny about the reminder that this is a hunting site. Recently I've had to remind myself that "hey, I don't shoot tourneys, I shoot animals" because I was becoming concerned with my 30-40 yard shooting abilities, i.e. I can't shoot very well at all at those distances!  I'm a hunter and I'd rather be good at the dirty work up close so I went back and instead of trying to shoot 40 yards I'm practicing 20 and under but from all sorts of crazy positions.  Wife thinks I've lost it.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Sorry I didn't read anything in rules about being a Hunting site and your header says the following

"This forum is dedicated to all aspects of the act of shooting longbows and recurves"  

Hunting or or Target shooting, it's still about putting an arrow exactly where you want, being able to do it consistently will just make you a more effective Bowhunter.    :thumbsup:    

Some of the greats of Bowhunting were also Target shooters, Bear and Hill.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
I had a wheelie guy stop and tell me that he could shoot tighter groups than me blind folded.  so, I had my neighbor toss a penny for me at 10 yards.  The penny buzzed up and over my garage and landed in my other neighbor's gutter.  The wheelie guy said "big deal that was just one arrow."  When i gave up my FITA form and started snap shooting with longbows, I began eating all kinds of wild game, regularly.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
This is what's posted on the front door since the site's birth....

Tradgang.com is 100% totally devoted to traditional bowhunting. The 3 goals of Tradgang.com are as follows ...

1. To offer a public access website for those that love the sport of hunting with traditional archery equipment - i.e., selfbows, longbows, and recurves.

2. To create a friendly atmosphere to all. Dedicated to the discussion of all topics that relate to traditional bowhunting.

3. To support traditional bowhunting and archery manufacturers, vendors, services and organizations - good folks that have their hearts and souls poured into the sport.

Expect to be respected if you decide to join the gang, because the rule of respect is held highest of the few rules that apply. Tradgang.com has a zero tolerance for disrespect directed to anyone. If you want to disagree, then please do so in an adult manner. Debate is healthy, as one sword sharpens another, but it must be done in an honorable fashion.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
I have found that I shoot a lot better when I come to my anchor ( tip of my middle finger in the corner of my mouth )and use that anchor as a starting point for the expansion portion of my shot sequence.  Once I hit anchor I keep steadily expanding and focus entirely on the spot on the target I want to hit.  The string release just happens. I shot a 345 out of 400 on a 3D course this weekend, it would have been a 365 except for two complete misses on small targets where I failed to keep my focus on the spot I wanted to hit all the way thru the shot sequence. I can't snap shoot well at all.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:

Tradgang.com has a zero tolerance for disrespect directed to anyone. If you want to disagree, then please do so in an adult manner. Debate is healthy, as one sword sharpens another, but it must be done in an honorable fashion.
Well Bowhunting isn't allowed where I live, not really my fault.

It was never my intention to show any disrespect, I think to suggest to somebody to try 300 round isn't bragging,knocking them down or showing disrespect, claiming 4-5" groups is a bold statement specially when snap shooting is added at the end of that statement, 300 round is a good test of consistency and focus and even with my experience and ability I can find 4-5" groups only on good days.  

As a tourney shooter of 24 years, Coaching over 10 years, I feel I have a lot of shooting experience to offer people on this site.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©