Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Can you shoot too much?  (Read 472 times)

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
Can you shoot too much?
« on: June 20, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I can home from work the other day and asked my son if he wanted to shoot bows? He said well, I might shoot my compound. I said WHAT? WHY YOUR COMPOUND? Well I'm not sure I can shoot my longbow. That was with a little sheepish grin. OK says I what did you do? He says well, my finger is kind of sore. He holds his hand up and on his ring finger there is a blister just a little bit bigger than the head on a strike anywhere match. And how did you do that I ask. Practicing he says.
  He shoots a 55# Bear Montana holding three fingers under using a Damascus glove and he shot enough to put a blister on his ring finger. I'm thinking what's wrong with this picture? Maybe he needs to change his form a bit or what?
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can you shoot too much?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
If you are shooting wrong one shot is to much to practice in a sort of sense.  

As far as the blister I would think that maybe he is pulling a little to much on that finger. while at full draw try to shift some of that weight to the pointer finger. It might help.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
I was wondering if there might not be something going on with his form. Since I don't shoot three fingers under myself I couldn't comment on that aspect of his problem.

He is doing much better though. 0-25 yards He's pretty much spot on.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »
Might try a thicker glove.  I have always shot Damascus gloves, but they don't give the best finger protection.  I shoot 45-50lb bows, and anything heavier will definitely wear on the fingers with Damascus gloves.  I am currently trying to find something that has feel but better finger protection because I shoot so much.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
Check him and see how high he is holding his elbow at full draw, he could be torquing his string on release.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
I think you can practice too much and feel it can be counterproductive. I normally shoot between 30-50 arrows per day and usually 2- 3D shoots per month until about a month ago. I started feeling a little burnt out and my shootin started to go bad.  :banghead:   I stopped for 10 days and restarted by shooting shooting 25-35 arrows 4x/week. Everything fell back into place. Form and accuracy came back to where it was and I am more relaxed. Remember we practice to make that 1 shot! No need to over do it. Also I agee with Northwest watch his elbow if it is too high will cause that with some people.  :archer:

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Yes you can shoot too much.  When you get fatiqued you can't concentrate and your shooting suffers.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Algonquin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
While I don't shoot three fingers under, it stands to reason that the finger pinch with that method would be greater than split-finger, since all of the pinch would be occurring below the nock, with the worst of it placed on the ring finger. That's where the pressure/friction should be greatest and most likely to cause a blister such as the one your son has developed. He could probably use a Flemish release until his blister heals and then try a thicker glove for three-finger.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©