Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: My Cure for Target Panic  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
My Cure for Target Panic
« on: June 22, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
I know this thread belongs in the Shooters Forum but I wanted to share this with as many people as possible.

I always thought it was my hand touching my face that caused target panic. I had tried a lot of different remedies, some store bought, some not. None of them worked.
While I was practicing one day and getting very frustrated at my premature shots a very crazy idea popped into my head. I pointed my bow at the target and closed my eyes before I ever began the draw. On the very first try my middle finger was tucked into the corner of my mouth and I was holding my bow at full draw with my eyes closed.
I realized that what was causing my target panic was when the string disappeared from my eye sight, which was right around the time my hand touched my face. Add that to the fact that I have no idea where the arrow will go if I let go and my brain practically screams "DON'T LET GO!"
Once at full draw and holding I open my eyes, focus on the target, and release. I do this twenty to thirty times. Then I begin the draw with my eyes open and I am consistently able to reach full draw and hold as long as my muscles will allow. If I find myself slipping back into my target panic, I simply use my closed eye method to get my mind back on track.

Just thought I'd share something that REALLY helped me out. If you try this, for obvious reasons, be very careful.

John
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Cure for Target Panic
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Once you open your eyes can you hold at full draw without feeling the need to release?
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Yes
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
My question is once he opens his eyes, can he bring the arrow to target without feeling the need to release.

IMO, the causee and cure of target panic is different for different people. One thing in common though is it is a mental battle. I found a cure that worked for me, but I don't know if it will work for others. I suspect, for some it will and for others it won't. After all, it is a loss of mental control.

The one BIT of advice I will give is to KEEP VARIABLES in one's practice. This, I believe, is essential in BOTH the prevention and the cure of TP because it helps keep the mind in charge of the body. You don't want to go on Auto-Pilot.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
Sounds good.  I'm trying to overcome my clicker dependency and regain full control over my release.  It's been better ever since I went back to traditional but this just might speed up my recovery.  Thanks!
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
Lee Dogman

Yes I can.
My cure will not work for everyone but it may help some.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
WOW, you are quick on the computer tonight. I was just updating my post and already 2 more replies.

My issue was always approaching the sight picture combined with muscle memmory. I had to find a way or me to beat that...and I did. I was shooting right handed, and switched to left handed to get a different sight picture. I am left eye dominant, but eye dominance was never an issue for me since I could use both eyes very well and when drawing right handed my right eye would pick up a sight picture...however, that combined with muscle memmory I would go on auto-pilot and snap shoot with the HH or Fred Asbel no hold method about a million times I went on autopilot and over time I lost mental control and as a result, I fell apart. Personally, and no offense intended, I think Asbell and Shultz's promotion of snap shooting is an archery disease that leads to target panic when one realizes they can't slow down and keep mental control at full draw.

When I tried to regain control, I found it difficult, until I tried left handed. TOTALLY DIFFERENT sight picture and no "pre-conditioned" muscle memmory created from already shooting a million arrows in habit mode. I keep mental control and I have found a solution for me.

I believe every case is different except for the fact that it takes some form of mental change to whip the physical autopilot.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
Lee, I agree.  What has also helped in my battle is to come to full draw and hold and then let down.  I'm trying to convince myself that I have the ability (and the option) to let down.
-Charlie Parker

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
You will be surprised how much you can improve your form by shooting at a blank target from ten feet.  Address the target and and close your eyes.  Draw, hold your anchor and feel your form for several seconds.  Either shoot or let down and repeat.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 02:48:00 AM »
Very good  :thumbsup:  

I`ve been there, and did get out if it with help from Jay Kidwell(J-Kid on the forum)
Right now I have added a clicker to my bow and that helped me further.

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 03:32:00 AM »
may i suggest having a talk with clickerman.
his shooting method has saved my bowhunting. it is so simple it's criminal. at the very least give it a try. PM clickerman!
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 06:04:00 AM »
I always thought it was my hand touching my face that caused target panic.
There is almost always some "condition" that gets associated with the release which causes the premature release.  My experience has led me to look at associations with the sight picture, the bullseye, the drawing hand and various stages of the anchor etc.  As you all have pointed out, there are many variations on the theme.  A few weeks ago I worked with a guy that only experienced the premature release when he was beyond 20 yards.

I think the bottom line is to attempt to identify "what specifically" is triggering the premature release and then desensitizing the relationship between that stimulus and the release.  That takes some creativity sometimes as is obvious in your posts.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
I find my self  struggling to hint my anchor at distances around and beyond 20yards also, I may have to try this out.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
I started to have "target panick" a few months ago and my form went all to h$$$> The target panick was random with the occasional early release of an arrow.  I stepped back to my original training methods and now follow a simple step by step process I repeat on every shot.  I found that using the laid out series of steps in my shooting, ingrained them in my mind and poof, the target panick vanished.  My real problem was not focusing enough on the target and letting external distractions mess with the shot sequence.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Clay,
When you say you went back to your original training method, do you mean you went back to a straight "form" practice and focused less on hitting a bullseye?

I don't have target panic I have "too much too soon" -itis.  I was shooting ok and getting better and better groups then started reading this site and going to classes and now I am trying to work things into my style or method and so my shooting is always in flux.  I need to settle on something (this week) and blank bale it into my soul the start on my perfect practice sessions again.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
The closed-eyes draw worked for me too. I go back to it whenever TP tries to rear it's ugly head. Funny; just when you think you've come up with a unique solution to a problem... you're reminded there's really nothing new.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
I have bouts with premature releases at the practice range and 3D shoots. I have absolutely no problem holding my anchor on an animal I intend to kill. I really don't worry too much about not reaching full draw on occasion at the practice range.

Offline CLICKERMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
Dozer,

Your system may be working for you because when you close your eyes, you are cutting out the subconscious portion of your shot.  You must have been using the sight picture as your shot stimulus in your previous shot.  If closing your eyes allows you to put conscious thought into your shot activation, more power to you.  J-Kid and I just got done filming Masters of the Barebow volume 4 where we both explain some of the science of target panic and how to overcome it, forever!!!  Stay tuned.
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4
2x World Elk Calling Champion / Pro Division

Offline Patrick55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
I had a good friend that was having major problems with target panic. He was coming to about ½ draw and letting her fly. He was getting real frustrated. We met up at the range and here is what I did to get him started on the road to recovery.  I had him take the arrow and place it in his quiver. I then had him come to full draw with no arrow about 3 to 4 times. He hit perfect anchor every time for fear of dry firing his bow. After the full draw exercise, I had him load and shoot.  He performed a perfect draw and release for about 5 shots then fell apart again. We repeated the exercise with no arrow off and on for most of the day. By the time we finished the walk through course he was getting it down pretty good. I think it is the immediate memory of the full draw with no arrow and then shooting right away afterwards that made it work. During a shoot while waiting his turn he would do the exercise with no arrow. It did not work overnight but after a couple of shoots he was completely over it.
Byron Ferguson has an interesting cure. He was telling me he had a fellow that was a hopeless case. Byron had tried just about everything.  After many frustrating hour of working with him, Byron taped a paper target the door of his brand new Silverado and told him, “Now short draw and let it go!” Funny story to here Byron tell it but it got the results he was after.
Experience is a wonderful thing. It teaches to recognize a mistake when you do it again.

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
Dozer , Thank you for sharing and most of all keeping it simple.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©