Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Back to the Basics!  (Read 452 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Back to the Basics!
« on: July 01, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
Well I thought I would share this for all who are new and whoever may want it.
I have been working like a dog for a few months and I have not been able to shoot as I used to(every day at least 3 dozen arrows).So I find myself thinking it's time to go back to the basics and re work any bad form habits I may have grown into.I will start out with the lesser weight bow 50# for me and shoot bales,and work on the form! Then move to the aiming aspect and then up the bow weight.I think this will help re-form my shooting and increase my ability as a trad shooter.I know from experience that if I dont after such a layoff from my constant shooting,I will make bad adjustments to compensate for the "BEING OFF"    :mad:   on my shots.

So has any of you done this?   :archer2:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back to the Basics!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
Yep.  Been shooting a longbow now for going on 7 years and I feel like I'm still developing/finding my own style.  I had switched from split to 3 under last year, then was playing in the woods stump shooting and "just having fun" shooting from all sorts of weird angles and realized that, for me, split finger gave me more control and options for hunting shots.  So I went to the bag for about 2 weeks drilling in the form and I'm having as much fun as ever.  If I find myself slipping up on a few shots I go right back to the bag hanging in the back yard and I start each shooting session with a few warm ups on the bag.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I am actually starting that process again this weekend.  I just got MOBB3 and decided to go back to some bare bail shooting to clean some things up.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
yes i just made it back to shooting at the beinning of this year its been a 8 yr journey mostly tagets and 3-ds.hunting has been fond memories from the midwest.but that changes this year. i was out of the loop for about 2.5 yrs . ivebeen working my tail off for about 7 months now and its really comming together thanks to TG help and MoBB III. as well .
im feeling like my form is far beter than ever and i actually know what a good form is ,for the first time in my life.

still on the mend from sergery but im starting to shoot my 27 lb recurve . i built a formmaster . and made about 9 shots w/63# longbow yesterday it went well but im on ice today. hopeing to shoot a burlap cource sat.morning with a good friend .

really stocked about mulies this fall.maby even management tag for elk.  :bigsmyl:    :campfire:
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline Sarge5706

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
I go to the range everyday, rain or shine.  Being able to go every day is the only upside to being unemployed.
I shoot 30 to 40 arrows, starting with a warm-up routine of shooting one arrow at 15 yards, then one at 20, 25, back to 20 and finsihing again at 15 yards.  I have shoot 6000 arrows so far this year.  when my accuarcy starts to slip the first thing I do is go back to basics and make sure my form is ok.  If form is ok I check brace and nock height. But it is usually a form problem.  Bottom line is I am quick to go back to basics to improve my shooting.
Just my two cents
J.E. Smith
SSgt Usmc (Ret)

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Sarge,  From Milwaukee?  You wouldn't happen to be shooting at the range across from the golf course in Oak Creek?
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Sarge5706

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
Yes Mike I shoot at the Whitnall range.
J.E. Smith
SSgt Usmc (Ret)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©