Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: under the chin anchor?  (Read 662 times)

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
under the chin anchor?
« on: July 02, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
Any barebow shooters use a an under the chin anchor (similar to olympic recurve). I know it is not so easy to look down the arrow that way, but the anchor point is much easier to consistently repeat at the chin and nose - as supposed to the corner of the mouth.
Thanks
K

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: under the chin anchor?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
I won't use the under chin anchor on my hunting bows. There are a few reasons. I'll give you 3:
1. If I hold vertical, I cannot see my target unless I have a huge sight window which most of my hunting bows do not have.
2. I do not have proper (adequate) clearance with hunting cloths using the under chin anchor.
3. I like to use a peripheral vision or as HH called it conditioned instinctive type aiming system for hunting. The arrow can not been seen at all using an under chin anchor.

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by BobCo 1965:
I won't use the under chin anchor on my hunting bows. There are a few reasons. I'll give you 3:
1. If I hold vertical, I cannot see my target unless I have a huge sight window which most of my hunting bows do not have.
2. I do not have proper (adequate) clearance with hunting cloths using the under chin anchor.
3. I like to use a peripheral vision or as HH called it conditioned instinctive type aiming system for hunting. The arrow can not been seen at all using an under chin anchor.
All good points. I do not hunt but like the traditional bow a lot.

I am curious to hear from anyone who shoots barebow with a low (under the chin anchor)
Thanks
K

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
For shots in excess of 70 yards I use an under the chin, string on the nose anchor.

--Not an issue for me.  Since I am sighting down the arrow the bow doesn't get in the way. Even shooting off my hand with an ELB I can see the target and the arrow.
-- Never an issue wherever I anchor. Pull the string straight into my chest and it will go out the same way. And of course my arm, even encased in winter coats is pretty easy to keep out of the way.  Especially if you have been to Bob Wesley's shooting school and learned HH's method of shooting.
-- I specifically put it under my chin so I can see the arrow.  Now for less than 50 yards I use a more conventional four point anchor.  And use HH's method of aiming as taught by Bob.

I see no reason you can't anchor under the chin with any bow.  If you look at some videos and pictures of Pope, Young and Thompson you will see they anchored closer to under their chin than their nose. And they were shooting hunting weight bows at game that they tended to hit when they shot.    By the way when I started the under the chin it just didn't feel right but after a couple of dozen shots and careful notice of my body alignment it became both comfotable and easy to d.
Pete Darby

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
No reason you can't use that anchor, but it has some drawbacks.  It is true that it allows the most efficient use of your back muscles: back tension and a clean release are easier to get with that anchor than with a higher one.  However, it will make it very difficult to shoot either instinctively or with a gap method because the arrow is so far from your eye; the gaps become literally huge at normal ranges.  Oly archers have sights, and they shoot at very long ranges, so this anchor is perfect for them.  Without sights, unless you are shooting longe targets on a field range, I don't recommend this anchor point.  I could see it used in conjunction with other anchor points for field/target shooting, but not as your main anchor point.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline SkookumDon

• Trad Bowhunter
    • TraditionalArchery.Net
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
I hold under the chin when using a sight, but not when shooting instinctively. Its just too hard to get a good aim and feel for the trajectory.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
Under the chin anchor will work.

For a while the late Jay Massey used to anchor on his sternum and I have seen a couple of others do the same - successfully.

Others have said it before - the brain is a powerful computer - one just has to program it.  Practice, practice, practice....

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©