Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Off days  (Read 868 times)

Offline Cane Knife

• Trad Bowhunter
Off days
« on: July 14, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
Anybody else have days when you're shooting is just "off"?  I had to to just stop and put everything away.  I'll come back to it tomorrow.

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Off days
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
Yes, everyday!  :biglaugh:    Although last night was my best practice session ever with my recurve.  I never missed the target at any distance, 12-35 yds although past 25 the groups were nothing to brag about but I usually get a flyer or two at the longer distances.  

My form seemed to be consistent without thinking about it, read G. Fred Asbell's article in TBM about left brain/right brain when shooting instinctive, and my focus on the spot was better than ever.  

But yes, a lot of practice sessions end in frustration and despair.  Hopefully, they will be getting fewer and farther in between.  :archer2:
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
Sure.  I just pack it in on those days.  For me it is usually a lack of concentration.  Either I am pre-occupied with something, angry / depressed or hungry.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
Some days I just don't have it together.  I use those times to slow down and go back to basic form practice.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Yup.  For me it seems one of these

1.) Lack of concentration (cannot pick the spot)
2.) Tired either mentally and/or physically
3.) Bad form

Or a combination.

I call it quits when those days are obvious.  The next day, I am usually back to par.  

I used to fight it thinking I could push through it or figure it out.  I learned that that just created bad habits and I didn't ever beat it that day.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
Quite a large part of archery is mental.  If you are preoccupied with something else, put it down and come back to it later.
ChuckC

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
If I have an off day,I usually will just forget about shooting and find something else to do. Come back the next day with a clear head and be relaxed it seems to go a lot better.

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
Yes. It always seems to be on a day when I want to shoot and have the time but can't put things together mentally. Usually after a really bad day at work when shooting would really seem to help. Like most, I just put the bow away for the day and try again another time.
Sometimes, I'll try a different bow and things will come together. Other times, I just go in and watch TV.
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
I can tell after the first 6 arrows I shoot whether to keep shooting or put the bow down...happens to everyone.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
Yes, and I don't like it when it happens.  I put it all down and go do something else for a while.  What really bothers me is when my first shot is off, in hunting, that is the only one that matters.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
I usually find I have off days if it was a really bad day at work or I have had tooooo much caffine.. on those days, now, I just blank bail until I feel better or am too tired to shoot anymore.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline canshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
I have bad days for all the same reasons as everyone else. On those days I shoot just for the joy of it and don't expect anything. I know its temporary but its no reason to give up. Just shoot and dont stress about it.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by canshooter:
I have bad days for all the same reasons as everyone else. On those days I shoot just for the joy of it and don't expect anything. I know its temporary but its no reason to give up. Just shoot and dont stress about it.
Great attitude      :)  

I accept that these days happen. During practice I'll just go and do some bale work, if I'm at a tourney I'll shoot by the numbers just for form. I found the less I stress over it, the quicker my normal shooting comes back.      :)  

I'm shooting World Field champs in Dahn, Germany in a few weeks, my shooting has been totally off, my form is as solid as it can be, I'm just hoping it's to do with the long hours I'm working at the moment and everything will Click in. I will see my best buddy of 30 years who now lives in Miami and is on the USA team, we will have a great time regardless of the result.

Think if you remember why you do Archery in the first place it makes bad days easier to deal with and the good days more enjoyable.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
Yes, I have those days where accuracy is off. But instead of putting the bow down, I find alternatives such as working on strength or working specifically on one aspect of the shot sequence.

Offline The Butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Me Too! I think everyone does.  If I'm having trouble hitting the target, I change focus to my release, back tension, and overall form.  I just try and work on something and keep loose.  Usually my release or anchor, as those are what fail me most when I shoot bad.  Shooting is my vent, stress leaves when I shoot.  Fishing does the same thing.  Maybe bow fishing could be the ultimate vent for me?
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean.  It's perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands.  It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.  -  John Wayne

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
it happens to every body, it is a concentration thing.....usually a bad day at work or something else that is really on your mind.....take five or ten and if the next three are still rough, put it up until later....
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »
For me it is back tension. I get the lefts and rights. Then I start really concentraiting on bt and it comes together. If when I'm done shooting my back muscles are tired I know I was doing it right.
Jim

Offline AZBEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Hello .. im new to Trad Gang   I had that day .. today. I just try to work on form and picking a spot. But i hate to stop when im shooting bad, ill move up a little & try to put a group together before i call it a day. Your right theres always tomorrow. AZBEAR

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©