Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: shooting lighter bows in offseason  (Read 638 times)

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
shooting lighter bows in offseason
« on: July 15, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
I'm doing physical therapy on my neck and shoulders right now. It's going well and I'm shooting pain free again. I'm thinking about getting a lower poundage bow for shooting in the off season but I'm concerned that when I would switch back towards hunting season that going back to the heavier bow wouldtrigger target panic(something I struggle with constantly). Any help on this would be appreciated.
Jim

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting lighter bows in offseason
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
I shoot a 50 pound bow and it is plenty to kill anything I hunt in Pa. If I were hunting Moose or Elk I would need a heavier bow. I have a couple of 45 pound bows that shoot well. You might get rid of your target panic with a lighter bow and not want to switch back.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
I shoot bows 50-54# but shoot lighter ones[40-46#] to work on form. I to struggle with target panic and the bad thing is it rears it's ugly head when I move up to my hunting weight bows. I may start to hunt with a 46#er this year.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Yea Ron that's my concern. My bow is 51# which isn't heavy I know, I'm just thinking of my shoulder and thought maybe dropping in weight in the off season. But I don't want to if it causes my panic to kick in right before the season.
Jim

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by ron w:
I shoot bows 50-54# but shoot lighter ones[40-46#] to work on form.
Same as above, I really utilize my 42# @ 29" for form work. Getting a "clean release" with a light-weight bow is much harder than with one that is gonna rip the string from your fingers. For me, I can "feel" the shot better also with light-weight bows.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Thanks Don, I'd really like to get a lighter bow. I'll have to think on it. I'm going to Denton. I'll look around there.
Jim

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
I find myself shooting much more on the offseason then in season. I probably go from about 400 arrow per week to about 150 per week. I shoot at 46#'s during the summer and move to 58 pounds for the season. I have no problem at all moving to the heavier weight bow. I look at it the same as lifting weights, higher reps with lighter weights, lower reps with heavy weight.

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
If it weren't the target panic thing,it wouldn't be much of a decision. I just don't want to get a good dose of it right before the season.
Jim

Offline brinkwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
Jim, what if you go to your heavier bow a few months before season than if TP rears it's ugly head you can go back to the lighter bow. I agree a lighter bow is great for working on form. You are less likely to be concentrating on trying to pull the bow and working more on form instead.

Offline brinkwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
One of the reason I kept my lighter bows besides helping with form occationaly, even thou I can shoot heavier ones is because about four years ago I had a bad car wreck(been going to a chiropractor every since). Now when my back and neck act up I can go to one of the lighter pulling bows and keep shooting with alot less discomfort.

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
I know Brinkwolf, I'm just finishing therapy on my neck and bow shoulder. I'm shooting pain free again and very happy. I have and old bear bow at 42 lbs. I shoot it some when shoulder bothers me but I don't like it that well. I think I'll save my pennies for a new bow and deal with any tp problems as they come. Thanks for the advice guys.
Jim

Offline c'ville

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
I'm the same as the guys before, I use a 40# bow for form practice especially the release.  However, I also keep drawing and shooting my hunting bow over the summer to keep my arms and shoulders used to the weight.
Bring a compass because it's awkward when you have to eat your friends.

BBO 73#@28in

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
I have to shoot lighter draw because of an injury,but when I was shootin 50-60lbs. bows I shot the one I was hunting with. I feel if you live with something you know what it can do or not do.  :archer:

Offline kmunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
I shoot around 50 lbs for everything I have a 31 in draw so i buy a lighter marked bow but my marked 44 lb recurve has killed many pigs and a couple deer I think it all comes down to sticking whatever in the right spot! I think people feel the need to "man up" When they go to hunting camp and are there for over bowed

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©