Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Switching from right to left handed - suggestions?  (Read 515 times)

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
Switching from right to left handed - suggestions?
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
I broke my left elbow in 3 places as a kid ~ 38 years ago.  Now it has caught up with me and almost overnight, went from shooting and hunting with my homemade TD longbow to not being able to pull a kids bow.

In an effort not to leave the sport we all love, I'm trying to shoot left handed.  A friend loaned me a 34# Warf this week to start working with.  I'm beginning to feel reasonable with form, but the both eyes open or close the dominant right eye is messing with me.  Not sure what to focus on.  Thoughts?  Steve

Re: Switching from right to left handed - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:54:00 AM »
I switched due to a bad case of TP.  For about the first two weeks I closed my right eye.  After that, for about three months I would just squint a little.  Now, I can just look at the spot.  Take your time, consentrate on every aspect of your form in sequence, and you'll be shooting better than ever in no time.  Good Luck!

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switching from right to left handed - suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
I see you wear glasses.  Try putting a small piece of scotch tape on your dominant eye lens.  Make it small enough and position it so that it only blurs your view when shooting.

Got that piece of advice from a guy at the sporting clays range.  I am (was, but that's a different story) right eye dominant but shoot lefty.  He told me to do that with my safety glasses and it helped.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©