Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Best trad shooter I've ever seen.  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Best trad shooter I've ever seen.
« on: July 19, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Joebuck, this is for you.

I got back from Tenn this morning from the IBO trad World shoot. Great time. Awsome venue. nicest folks I ever been around.

All that said, I had the pleasure of watching the best tradbow shooter Ive ever seen . On video or in person. His name is Ryan Ramsey and he's from Ok. Shoots a 3 pc longbow and did some impressive shooting. As my buddy from AR, Danny Clark said, "It's fun watching a guy that can't shoot out of the ten ring".
He won the Hunter Challenge shoot off against a great shooter from IL. The guy from IL had only 3  8's for the 25 total targets he had to shoot. Ryan won by 6 pts. In my mind that is impressive. He also won the modern longbow IBO world crown with a score of 388 on 40 targets. Thats 12pts down. or 6 8's. He shot 3 under with a high anchor and paused for a sec or two at anchor.

Actually everyone that I saw shooting in the shootdown shot 3 under and paused at ancohor for a sec or two.

I love Howard Hill and Fred Bear and all the greats, but In my opinion, The old boy from OK Would take them to school on a 3D course.

Before I get stoned by the leg hummpers, I did'nt say he was a better hunter, only a better shot.

Ok here we go. Don Batten 252 636 7665 .
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best trad shooter I've ever seen.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Don, there are lots of good shots out there and good hunters too.  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
I doubt you are gonna get stoned. . . well. least not by no leg hummpers.  It is fun to watch a true master of any sport or endeavor.  
Thanks
ChuckC

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Wow, it is enlightening to know how well the best shots at this tournament scored. I was planning to attend but had to do it all on Saturday and didn't want the 8-hour drive (round trip). Thanks for the report.

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
I called that number and it's Dial-a- Prayer! Whatsamatta Don u scared?

Offline KY..Rob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
I watched the Video of the shoot off in the Hunter's challenge, He was tearing the 12 Ring up!! But I guess it only counts as 10.

All Three Guy's in the shoot off were pretty amazing.

Rob..

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
There's nothing wrong with stating your opinion. Sounds to me like you witnessed some awesome shooting. If he took first place, obviously no one there can argue the point.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. I like the details with the length of holding and the 3 fingers under. Good job on noticing.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
OK, what kind of bow did he shoot?  If I buy one, could I shoot like him?  :goldtooth:
Lon Scott

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Don!

Offline the force

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
I shot with him at the indoor nationals in kentucky this year and he got 11th there
Hoyt Tiburon

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
a leg humper im not and if i tried to throw a rock at ya id only hurt my computer
ive just recently got into 3d and love it wish i coulda seen that sounds like a good time how did you shoot
  :campfire:    :clapper:    :archer2:
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
He told me what the bow was but it did'nt ring a bell. It was a 3 pc longbow with a small riser and had a thumb rest on the left side, kinda like a shrew.

Marty, sorry ,I was on the phone with Joey. He was on the 3D range practicing to come up next year and school this old boy. I don't see it happening.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
The only way such comparisons are truly settled is in head to head competition.  Mr. Ramsey is alive, and the others mentioned are not. Shooting titles and crowns are meant to be passed on. Congrats to Mr. Ramsey on a fine round of shooting. My guess is that the "greats" would say the same thing. Fine shooting!
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline kmunch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
The bow that Ryan used is most likly made by G W Flanigan  The same bow won the Texas long bow championship the man that shot that bow in texas was Shilo Butts. I have a bow made by G W and it is awesome

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
I looked at some picture's from the shoot and I too noticed most of the "top" guys shooting 3 under. Hmmmmmm.......

Offline Paco61

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
I can not find the video or pictures from the shoot. Would appreciate if someone can share the link.

Saludos Paco

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Paco61:
I can not find the video or pictures from the shoot. Would appreciate if someone can share the link.

Saludos Paco
Here is a clip courtesy of W8N4FALL

Thanks
K

Offline graysquirrel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Bow was made by GW Flannagan of Marietta Oklahoma. Base model is around 650, and by the way Shilo Butts (who also shoots a flannagan longbow and recurve) defeated Ramsey in Texas.  It's kind of a give and go depending on who's on at the time. Last year Ramsey pretty much beat Shiloh (by a few points) in several shoots, this year, Shiloh is winning more, and he's a young man in pharmacy school right now who has not quite discovered that young women are more interesting the a new bow.  

Now if that young woman could noodle, catfish, AND shoot a bow, he might get sidetracted
Bob L

Offline artelkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
I'd like to see this guy shoot. I wonder if he will be at the shoot at Mcalester in Aug?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©