Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: hot ring finger???  (Read 497 times)

Offline rogers

• Trad Bowhunter
hot ring finger???
« on: July 19, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
I recently read a post about having a hot ring finger upon release and that you are not suppose to have callouses on your fingers.  Im guessing a hot ring finger is having most of the weight of the bow resting on your ring finger.  I think I have that problem and I also have a callous on my ring finger.  I tried fixing it tonight and I seemed to have a little better arrow flight, I think.  What are the effects of having a hot ring finger and what does it do to your arrow flight and accuracy?
Thanks, Caleb.

Offline Gene R

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hot ring finger???
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
I have the same problem, it seems I put too much pressure on the ring finger. I have been working on placing more on the middle finger and it is amazing the difference in accuracy. This is I think a very important part of the draw that gets overlooked... Keep up the good work. Gene

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Often, a sore/callused ring finger is due to torque on the string at full draw.  If you can get some pictures of you at full draw, from the front, you can see if the string is pulled away from the chin/face by the ring finger.  I'd suggest that that is often due to too stiff a wrist, forearm and hand drawing the bow.  If that kink in the string is there, it will also lead to inconsistent shots.

If your string hand, wrist and forearm are as relaxed as possible, the back of your hand will be flat and the weight of the bow will help to keep the string aligned or straight.  That relaxed approach will also even out the pressure on your string fingers
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline DaxE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
I think having your elbow to high can cause pressure on the ring finger too.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©