Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Trick shots vs competition shots  (Read 500 times)

Offline crandog

• Trad Bowhunter
Trick shots vs competition shots
« on: July 22, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
Any one notice how guys like Byron Fergueson and Howard Hill shot fairly fast.  Obviously due to neccesity on moving targets.  Then you have guys like Larry Yien and Rod Jenkins who if they were shooting at you and you ran to 100 yards you need to keep running.
Being a gap shooter I need to hit full draw to aquire a picture.  I'm not blaming either Byron or Howard but as fast as they shot I tried to duplicate it.  Now I'm struggling with target panic.
I guess my question is does anyone see any middle ground?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trick shots vs competition shots
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
I think if you learn to shoot slow, you can shoot fast if you need to.  I've seen Rod Jenkins do it.  I'll bet Byron and Howard learned to shoot slow before they learned to shoot fast.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
I'm a tourney shooter but also do public trick shots to promote Archery, (I'm not the best trick shot) it's FUN to do and more interesting than just standing target stance and shooting middle of target, many shots you can do at normal speed i.e laying on your back.

I found doing faster type of shots is about building up and balancing the the speed\\accuracy slowly, if you just try and shoot fast everything normally just falls apart, I've recently been practicing rapid fire techniqe for my Horsebow, over a few weeks I've built from 6 shots in 25-30 seconds down to 17 seconds, during practice if I start losing accuracy I just slow everything down. It's been fun and interesting to do and given me an insight into my shooting form.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
I equate it to a person (like me) who can shoot shotguns at flying birds and rifles from a bench.  Two different disciplines and mindsets.  Same with trick shots and target shooting.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©