Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: shooting form  (Read 1655 times)

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
shooting form
« on: July 24, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
There has been so much discussion lately about shooting form, that yesterday I got a wild hair and went to range an made the following video.

Am I the best one to make a video on shooting form?  Most definitely NO.  But, I haven't seen any in recent memory here so I thought I'd bite the bullet and try.  I've narrated the video, however the narration on the back clip didn't come through.  This is my first attempt at this so one minor glitch doesn't seem too bad.  At any rate, the back view clip is to show the movement of the drawing arm shoulder blade.  Note that it is kind of poking out at anchor then moves flat against my back upon release.  You can also see the bow side shoulder blade move toward the target on release -- just a little.

Anyway, here's the clip.  Questions, comments and criticisms welcomed.

Archery, shooting a hill bow using the BEST system
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting form
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
Well as expected, I screwed that up.  Let's try again.   Archery, shooting a hill bow using the BEST system
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
Great video, not only in the quality of the filming, but the shooting form.  Once again, I cannot comment on someone else's form when theirs is better than mine!  Nice job and thanks for putting it up.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
Enjoyed watching your video, particularly your commentary about what specific parts of your form to look at.  Sometimes I get caught up in looking at the forest, and have trouble focusing in on individual trees.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Great video moebow ! just like your post, well thought out, put together and presented.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
I like the comment "If you ended up in the right place then likely you started off in the righ place."

Nice shooting and informative video on consistent form, looks very much like my own form.    :)

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments folks.  Glad to hear that I didn't make too many errors or goof up too bad.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Nice job.  I would like to see a close-up of your string hand to see how you get your fingers on to start and at full draw.  Kind of looks like you angle them some to match the cant a little.

How much contact to your have with your grip?  Looks like the bottom of your hand is out a little.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
xtrema312,

Thank you!

I do have a video that goes through the steps of shooting that I made for my recently completed summer advance NASP class.  It shows how I teach setting the bow hand and the string hand.  For many/most on the site, it is going to be rather elementary and GASP the video is made using the Genesis beginner's bow with wheels.  BUT the proper bow hand and string hand position DOES NOT CHANGE with the type of bow used!!!!!!

I know that Howard Hill said that a bow should be gripped as thought you were grabbing a suitcase but the grip I use on all my bows (longbow and recurve) is what I show on this video.

You have sharp eyes to pick this up but yes, my grip on the bow places the grip and weight of the bow into the meaty part of my thumb and on the thumb side of the life line and the part of my hand under the little finger does not touch the grip.

I'll try to post that video clip on this thread tonight or tomorrow.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
extrema312,

Here is the video that I mentioned.  It was made for 12 to 14 year olds so don't think I'm trying to talk down to anyone.  And yes, I'm using a Genesis compound bow.  I still think it's the best beginner's bow made.  It has no peak weight or let off, has a universal draw length.

low wrist and bone alignment are what we are looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMoebow1
demo shot
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Sorry folks,  I'm still struggling with this @#$%$#@ youtube stuff@#$%$#@!!!!!!!!!!!!
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Another thought extrema is that the fingers at full draw do match the angle of cant.  That is achieved through total relaxation of the string forearm/wrist and hand.  If that group is relaxed, your string fingers have to line up with the string simply from the force applied to the string hand by the bow.  If there is any tension there the string gets twisted (torqued) from you the shooter.  Another outside influence on the bow.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
It really was a breakthrough for me when I finally understood, from an earlier post you made, that my string hand should be relaxed and follow whatever angle my bow hand set.  I find this easy to do with lighter weight bows.  Do you have any hints for making this happen with heavier, hunting weight bows?  With these bows, I find that my string hand tends to lock into a particular angle, and it is not easy to relax my string hand to the extent that it can follow the angle set by the bow hand.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
McDave,

You have identified a common problem.  There is by definition some tension in the wrist and forearm required to hold the "hook".  If you have the string in the creases of your string hand fingers, the tension required should not be a whole lot greater for a heavy bow than for a light one.  BUT.....
Keeping a consciously relaxed hand/wrist/forearm takes more concentration and practice with heavier bows.  The mind says that I'm shooting a heavier bow, I NEED to stiffen up.  The mind lies!!!!

Be sure that your string hook is deep enough to have the finger nails of at least the index and middle fingers pointing back at your throat rather than at your chin and you will be really close to what you want.  As you increase bow weight , you must increase the attention to keeping that darn forearm soft.

Best I can say now but I'll think on it some more.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
I got a Genesis compound bow for the wife and kids to use when they get a little older.  Great training bow.

I also find I have to turn the bow hand out a hair more than the suitcase grip.

I have been looking at how I hook the string.  I start off with a deep hook and fingers pointed back, but I know my index and ring finger come out of the deep curl some.  I have also been playing with finger pressures with more on the middle and then trying more on the ring at first take up of the string to see the effects.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
xtrema,  current thinking is that it's OK for the ring finger to be engaged on the pad, that is not in the joint, and for it to point at the chin.  Try, though to keep the index and middle finger pointed back at the throat.  I think many of us are getting too carried away with % weight carried by each finger.  IF the hand/wrist/forearm are relaxed as much a possible, you will get a proper weight distribution on the fingers.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Administrative note for all reading this thread.  There are two videos posted here.  The one that started it all and I called it "Archery, shooting the hill bow using the BEST system"  and the second one that I called "demo shot".  

I am a COMPLETE rookie when it comes to youtube and I have not yet figured out how to make a specific link to a specific video.  As you see (at least it looks to me) that clicking either link will get you to the page where both videos are, then you have to select the one you want to see.  I'm also not sure how I got two copies of the first video on there either.  I guess that if one wears out the other will still work.   :knothead:
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline rightminded

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Nice video of your shot.  Good instruction.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline RocketDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
Good videos!  From a different perspective, your first couple of rounds you seemed a little nervous, then settled down for a couple, then looked like you were glad to be nearing the end.  All of that is mental stuff.  Hard to teach and keep a straight face mentally!
Blessed are the peacemakers

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
I really enjoyed watching the Video. Thanks   :p
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©