Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Backyard progress  (Read 497 times)

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
Backyard progress
« on: July 25, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Hi Folks

I have been shooting in my backyard for a while trying to develop my form at a single distance (18 yds). A couple of weeks ago I decided to start training my daily brain to shoot instinctive by shooting 12 arrows at various distances and repeat till I have shot a total of 120 arrow

8 yds - very tight group several inches above target point

12 yds - good group right on the target point b

18 yrd - OK group always several inches below target point

I don't use any POA but focus really hard on the target

How long does it take for the brain to program itself like that with daily practice

Sorry for the long-winded question   :D
Thanks
K

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backyard progress
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
I don't know how long you've been at it....that would help.

Concentrate on 18 yards for a couple of weeks would be my suggestion....that will force you to make subconscious site picture adjustments instead of shooting 3 distances with what sounds like the same site picture.

Stay after it!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 02:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
I don't know how long you've been at it....that would help.

Concentrate on 18 yards for a couple of weeks would be my suggestion....that will force you to make subconscious site picture adjustments instead of shooting 3 distances with what sounds like the same site picture.

Stay after it!!!!
Hi Terry. I was shooting with sights for around 6 months and instinctive for around 1 month .

I realize this will take time, I am hoping I can go about it in the most efficient way.
Thanks
K

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
If you are shooting a 120 arrows aday I would reccomend you drop that down aways and fully concentrate on form and shot.  :thumbsup:   Just flinging arrows does not help you improve. Make the most of your practice by leaning to quality not quantity.  :archer:

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by cbCrow:
If you are shooting a 120 arrows aday I would reccomend you drop that down aways and fully concentrate on form and shot.   :thumbsup:    Just flinging arrows does not help you improve. Make the most of your practice by leaning to quality not quantity.   :archer:  
I don't feel like I am overdoing it with 120 arrows a day. It takes me around 1 hr and I make every shot count with form and focus. The funny thing is my groups will tighten and widen throughout this session several times. I always strive to end it on a good note  :)
Thanks
K

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of arrows.  It usually takes me about an hour to finish 40.  Maybe I'm just reeaal slow...?  :D
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
You don't need to convince me, but can you truly say that are giving your full concentration and attention to each arrow? Only you can answer that. I shoot between 25-40 arrows everyday and give them my best shot, which takes about 35-50 minutes. I also shoot 3 at a time,as I said quality not quanity is the way.  :archer:

Offline targets3D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 03:46:00 AM »
Wow I didn't realize how fast I was going compared to other shooters. Maybe I will try to slow it down bit.. 3 arrows at a time also sounds like a good idea. Thanks all.
Thanks
K

Offline RocketDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
If you have the time, do 2 sessions of 60 rather than one of 120.  I shoot about 150 arrow per day in 3 sessions, sometimes more, but it takes me an hour to shoot 50 with mostly 5 shot groups at 40 - 50 yards.  Lot of walking at 50 yds.
Blessed are the peacemakers

Offline jeff mullis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
you should try just shooting one arrow at a time and then go get it and then just keep doing that from random distances. that way you will keep your brain on edge and never get it used to shooting near or far and that should make your shots alot more consistent.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©