Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 3 under anchor and instinctive shooting?  (Read 682 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
3 under anchor and instinctive shooting?
« on: July 25, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
I shoot split finger, but I tried shooting 3 under for a couple of years.....killed an animal or two with 3 under. I have been looking at some photos from the IBO Trad World shoot and noticed a LOT of 3 under shooters.........BUT I also noticed that the large majority of them anchor with their top finger. Of the photos I found of split finger shooters, the majority of them anchor with their middle finger. For all intents and purposes, doesn't these two different anchors put the arrow in the same basic relationship to the shooters eye?

I post this because of the complaint that a three under shooter doesn't shoot instinctive, but is using the arrow as a sight. I prefer the feel of a split finger anchor, but if a guy likes three under and it works, it's all good.

Howard Hill used what he referred to as "split vision" and Byron Ferguson uses a system that is similar (become the arrow), but rather than the 50/50 target/gap that Hill used, he says his  system is 90% focus on the target and 10% focus on the gap.

I guess my point is that the argument is kind of senseless as you can shoot gap or instintive with either anchor.........right?  Just food for thought! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline PASSTHRU2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 under anchor and instinctive shooting?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
I just watched Masters of the Barebow 3. Rod Jenkins shoots 3-under and can hit thrown targets no problem.  He has a very regimented and strict form.  But he says, with time, every step he practices, including est. distance, becomes instinctive.  I think most people see the arrow, you cant help it, and subconsciously everyone probably uses as a reference os some sort.
"In God We Trust"

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
Starting out - either 3 under or split finger - there is a lot of aimin' goin' on.

As one develops a disciplined shot sequence, builds muscle memory, and practices shooting at different distances, the aimin' part "seems" to go away for many shooters so that they become instinctive (unless they train themselves to use the tip of their arra, etc.).

It has been almost a year since I switched from RH to LH shootin' and when I made the switch, I went with 3 under.  After trying multiple different anchor points I settled on the one that was most comfortable for me and started groovin' the shot.

Surprisingly, even though I am right-eye dominant, my LH shooting after 10 months is better than it was after 30+ years of RH shootin'.

I should mention that I have shot 18,000+ arras left handed since I made the switch....

Develop good form and then practice, practice, practice.  If your form is not good, it won't matter how much you practice.

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »
I've had a hard time deciding which way to shoot; 3 under or split.  Split allows for more arrow control and therefore allowing me to cant the bow when necessary and it's more fun for me.  3-under, vertical bow gives me more confidence on longer shots where I do use the point for reference.  However, I anchor index finger in corner of mouth for 3-under and middle finger corner of mouth for split essentially giving me the same sight picture so I don't have to adjust up or down.  DISCLAIMER:  I realize that this method is totally not recommended and sort of #*^#%*ed-up, but hey, it's working for me!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline RocketDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
Instinctive is any action that has been practiced enough that it is done without conscious thought.

Guess that means you can't be instinctive unless you are unconscious!  LOL

Whatever style you adopt, practice enough and you will become instinctive.  Learn and memorize your sequence so it is done without thought.  Practice at different targets and yardages until your aim is instinctive.

Once you have memorized your sequence, if you have a bad day you can dissect your shots and see what you are doing wrong.
Blessed are the peacemakers

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
I can shoot either way and I anchor with my index finger when 3 under and my middle finger when shooting split. I shoot instinctive and don't conscously see my arrow. When I switch from 3 under to split I will shoot high for about 20 arrows or so.LCH

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©