Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Does your arm dip a bit as you draw. Then go back up to anchor?  (Read 465 times)

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
I was just curious. I began drawing this way with my heavier bows as I feel it gives me more leverage than pulling straight back to anchor. I feel a lot stronger doing this.  

I am drawing downward a bit and the forearm is always very close to the body throughout the draw. Then as I finish the draw I start bringing my arm back up to my anchor point.

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does your arm dip a bit as you draw. Then go back up to anchor?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
You might be overbowed.  The general form is to come to predraw with your string hand at about mouth/nose level and draw back to anchor (or, under the jaw an inch or two and then up to anchor for FITA).  If you  find that you have to draw at chest level (and possibly arching your back) in order to get back, I'd suggest lowering draw weight.  You're going to maximize form and performance with lower draw weight I think.  Do you have a video of you shooting available?
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
By your description of your draw you must have switched from compound. I shoot a lot of 3D's and quite a few of them draw their bow this way. Listen to what mcflurry said and try to make it more of a straight line fluid motion.  :archer:

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
I drew that way when I switched from compound shooting and learned rapidly that I had a lot better form when I pointed the bow at the target and drew mainly with my back muscles.  This keeps me in alignment thru the entire draw cycle and had really helped my consistancy when shooting groups.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies.

I am a little overbowed with the bow in question. It's 85 # lol. I normally do not draw like that but I have noticed with this bow which is at my upper limits that it is easier to drawthat way.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Try to eliminate as much movement with your left arm as possible for best long term shooting results.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »
BACK TENSION......
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©