Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting with Quiver on Longbow  (Read 1241 times)

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting with Quiver on Longbow
« on: July 31, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
Hello Trad Gang members,

I switched from compound to longbow in January 2010.  Previously, I never shot my compound with a quiver attached.  I just couldn't get used to the bow torquing.

Now with my longbow, just today I tried attaching a Great Northern Quiver.  It definitely felt weird.

My questions are:

Typically, how long does the transaction take to get used of shooting with the quiver on my bow? Anyone else ever contend with this?

Lastly, does the quiver affect the bows performance?

Any input shall be appreciated.
I enjoy being a traditional archer!!

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting with Quiver on Longbow
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
I use Eagle Flight quivers and can tell no differance in bow performance. These quivers add very little weight so it doesn't effect the way I shoot.LCH

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
I've been shooting longbows for a while and could never get use to a quiver on the bow always seemed to cause balance problems for me.  :archer:

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
thanks for the input guys.  Keep 'em coming.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
The bow quiver seems to make my wrist tired after a while if I'm shooting practice and flinging 50 or so arrows. However if I do a 3D shoot or hunt, the bow quiver is definitely the way to go for me. Keeps the arrows from getting hung up on brush and trees. I use a 5 arrow great northern quiver and one arrow is always out since I'm shooting it. The thing is that when you're hunting or shooting 3D, you're not shooting that much so it doesn't bother you. I'll put the quiver on a couple of days before a 3D or hunt and just get used to it.

Now my hunting bow is a Red Wing Hunter, 52". This size is terrific. When I got it it had 2 inserts on the riser and two inserts on the belly for the Wing Quiver. I don't like the Wing Quiver. It's kind of bulky and noisy. So I bought a 3 arrow Quickee Quiver and put the mount on the riser. The Quickee snaps on and off. Very easy, very secure, very quiet. My favorite quiver except I don't like to drill and tap a good bow, but as I said, this one was already done. So I have one arrow in the nock and 2 in the quiver. That's all I ever need to hunt. Once again, it's not an everyday setup

Good luck
Sam

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
I don't like a quiver on my longbow, so I have the back quiver.  On the recurve it feels more natural to me though.
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
I agree with Ssamac I just started using my GN on my Bama Royal longbow, works great for 3Ds and stumping and I am going to use it for hunting! But I agree it does wear me out  if I am shooting a lots of arrows!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Welcome to traditional archery.  You have come to the right place for guidance.  Lots of experience all in one place.

I think many bow quivers change the dynamics of the bow.  It depends on the quiver weight and how it mounts.  Some of the changes are also positive as in a little more weight can aid to steady the bow hand.  A heavier quiver will change the dynamic of the bow more that a lighter one and a quiver that attaches to the limbs will change the dynamic of the bow more than one that mounts via insert bushings.  Any will be fine (unless they are noisy when you shoot) as long as you tune and practice with the quiver on.  It shouldn't take more that a few days for it to feel like it's always been there.

I've always used a bow quiver simply because I could not find a decent alternative.  I finally broke down and bought a Safari Tuff Arrow Master.  It has all the characteristics I was looking for in an alternative so I don't think I'll be using a bow quiver anymore.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline The Butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
I have two quivers.  I seldom hunt in a tree, as I love to still hunt.  For this, I like a hip quiver.  I have a small quiver, that attachs to the bow, that I can take off if I'm tree stand hunting.  Usually, in at dark, and out at dark, and a bow quiver as stated above, is the easiest to guide in and out of brush.  I tried a back quiver, and like it for 3-ds and practice, but never found one I liked for hunting.  See, all you need is 3 quivers. lol
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean.  It's perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands.  It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.  -  John Wayne

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
I like a bow quiver for two reasons.  First, it's that much less stuff to carry. Second, the additional weight stabilizes the bow for me.  It takes a couple of days to get used to so that it doesn't drag your shot right, if you shoot RH or left if you shoot LH, but once you get that figured out I find the additional stability in the bow hand to be helpful.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
I'm with The Butcher.  When I use a bow quiver I always take it off once in the tree or blind.  I prefer to shoot without it.  I practice both ways.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the input gentleman.  I just put the quiver on Saturday.  After two days of shooting, I am starting to get used of it.  It does make the balance and feel of the bow much different than I am accustomed to.

I do see the many pro's of having a quiver.  It will probably be easier to manuever in the Timber than a back quiver would presumably be.

I am hoping another week of shooting with it on should make my comfort level much better.  We shall see.  

Again, thanks for the input thus far.

Offline brinkwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
I have used a bow quiver only on recurves and they did help stabilize the bow and a slip on like a Selway helped deaden noise. I also like the way it gave the bow a natural cant from the added weight.

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
I use a Selway just as brinkwolf with the same results, I've used a Selway for years on a variety of different trad bows and love everything about it. I would say if anything it would mess with your site picture if you are not used to it, but I would say within a month or so you should be used to it. I think the Pros far out weight the cons of using a mounted quiver. DK.
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
When I bowhunt with my longbow, just can't bring myself to use a bowquiver....same with my recurve.
Seems sacreligious to me...LOL. Backquiver or Cat 3.5 when toting the longbow. I know quite a few bowhunters use the bowquiver on longbows but its just a personal preference.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Whump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
Whump Sez: I shot deer with a bow quiver and without and got pass thrus doing both. As long as you keep the quiver at the fades on the riser it has little effect on the performance of the bow.It cuts out one more thing to wrestle in and out of the woods and after you get use to the added weight on one side it works fine.  I now use a plains style quiver after trying them all. It is really what works for you and that is all it has to be.   Hunt safe.

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
If all I was going to do was targets/3D, I think I'd use a hip or side quiver.  I do like the way the bow feels without it, but for hunting, mine always wears a bow quiver.  I've tried all kinds, and for me, the bow quiver is just the best trade off for speed, access, and as little movement as possible.

...With the above in mind, I practice and target shoot with the bow quiver on.  I'm not good enough to practice one way and hunt another.    "[dntthnk]"
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Curtis Haden:
I practice and target shoot with the bow quiver on.  I'm not good enough to practice one way and hunt another.     "[dntthnk]"  
From what I've been told by people who actually know what they're talking about, nobody is.  If you intend to hunt with a bow quiver, practice with it; if it's just a carrier that you're going to hang in the tree, practice without it.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ACEK9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
I just switched from Compound to Traditional gear in June 2010.  I never shot with a quiver on my compound (detatchable while hunting)  Purchased a Kanati for my longbow and have been practicing with it on.  Awkard and a bit of wrist fatigue at first but it is growing on me.  Actually just bought a second longbow and it will soon be equipped with a Kanati. The quiver seemed to absorb a bit of vibration.
Rich

Offline L. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 01:14:00 AM »
I use a lightweight 3 arrow strap on 2 piece  quiver.Hardly notice the extra weight and the rubber straps actually help silence my bow more. I also am a fan of the Cat quivers, ALL of them as I have one of each!lol
Traditional Bowhunting: Cunning and stealth, not gadgets and gizmos!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©